Author Topic: A CALL TO ACTION! MAY IS MOTORCYCLE SAFETY AWARENESS MONTH!  (Read 5178 times)

Offline AugFern

• MSTA Member
  • Motorcycling!
    • Under The Radar Michigan
  • Lifetime Mileage: 356,000 +/-
  • Primary Motorcycle: '15 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT
Have you planned what you're going to do for Raising Awareness? There are so many easy to do things that doesn't cost anything that help raise awareness. On FaceBook? Change your Profile & Cover photos to an awareness photo. Their are many to be found on the Internet. Post an awareness statement each day or other interval on your page, asking friends to share. On Twitter? Tweet a daily awareness message. "Look Twice 4 Motorcycles" works! On your bike? Drive with your Hi-Beam on during daylight hours, if you don't already. Here's one I do, I wave to drivers of left turning vehicles when I'm going by. A "Thank You" gesture for not turning into me, a characteristic of the number one killer of motorcyclists. Write letters to editors, call into radio talk shows or request local TV news outlets to do a piece. Of course one of my favorites is wearing Hi-Viz. Share your ideas & actions with us. Thanks.
Augie
AugFern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AugFern

• MSTA Member
  • Motorcycling!
Re: A CALL TO ACTION! MAY IS MOTORCYCLE SAFETY AWARENESS MONTH!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, designed to encourage all drivers and motorcyclists to “share the road” with each other. In 2014, 4,586 motorcyclists were killed in traffic crashes, a decrease of 2.3 percent from 2013 (4,692). Those deaths account for 14 percent of the total highway fatalities that year. This decrease in motorcycle fatalities continues to break a tragic trend over the last 17 years, which saw only one other decline in 2009. Injured motorcyclists also decreased from 93,000 in 2013 to 88,000 in 2014.

Offline AugFern

• MSTA Member
  • Motorcycling!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »

Offline AugFern

• MSTA Member
  • Motorcycling!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »
MOTORCYCLE SAFETY AWARENESS

Safe riding practices and cooperation from all road users will help reduce the number of fatalities and injuries on our nation’s highways. But it’s especially important for motorists to understand the safety challenges faced by motorcyclists such as size and visibility, and motorcycle riding practices like downshifting and weaving to know how to anticipate and respond to them. By raising motorists’ awareness, both drivers and riders will be safer sharing the road.

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:02:24 PM »
I am going to be on a radio talk show on Monday Night for a few hours about motorcycle awareness and safety.

Anyone you want to inform about the show it's [/size]KaoticRadio.com[/size] and they can either just log on to their computer or download the ap on their phone for free. The show is Monday night the 16th of May and the show starts at 7:00 P.M. Pacific Time.
David
National Rider Training

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »
I applaud the effort but sadly,  whether we're talking PSAs, radio  shows or TV spots the people who need to hear the message simply aren't listening. They're going to continue distracted driving because THEY don't see it as a problem. Their phone,  GPS, breakfast,  makeup,  screaming kid, dog in their lap or whatever simply takes priority over paying attention to driving. Combine that with the young drivers driving too fast and following too closely and the old drivers who should have given up the keys already and the road is a very dangerous place.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
 :) Jim Randall - truer words were never spoken. That's why it's primarily up to us, the riders, to watch out and play the "I bet I know what you're gonna do." game with the car drivers.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi