Author Topic: Looking at Kriega How much space do I need?  (Read 5311 times)

occam22

Looking at Kriega How much space do I need?
« on: January 01, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »
Ive always toured on a bmw loaded with cargo space: Hard shell paniers, 51 liter tail bag, plus a back pack and tank bag. As a result, space was never an issue. 

Im switching to a Ducati streetfighter so I have to  think more critically about space.  Kriega uses the streetfighter to model their US 40 liter combo pack that is a 20 liter flanked by 2 - 10 liters. Im not sure what that really means in terms of usable space.

I was hoping to draw on those with more touring experience to see how much space one might need for a 5 day bug out?  Im assuming 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shoes,  My tent compacts to 18 x 6 x 6 but would probably be on top of the set up. The sleeping bag would probably go in a back pack.

thoughts?

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: Looking at Kriega How much space do I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:03:24 PM »
I like to have a clean t-shirt, clean underwear, and a clean pair of socks for each day....so 5 each of those. Depending on how warm/cold/wet it may be I will adjust my top layer to accomidate that.  Jeans or shorts?......I like to use lightweight pants w/zip off legs that cover both, when I can.  Do I need a jacket/sweater/sweatshirt/fleece?  A nice fleece can take the place of a jacket liner or some of the newer jackets have liners thst zip out and become lightweight jackets.  Can also be folded and used as a pillow. I'll bring sandals/flip flops many times because they take up less room than shoes and can also be worn into showers at campgrounds. Rolling vs folding for packing...rolling takes up less room.  I try to remember to bring a new kitchen garbage bag to put my dirty clothes in and keep them seperate from clean clothes.  Only things in addition are a shaving/bathing kit, a hat, and something to read.  I'm sure others have more ideas, but this is the basic setup for me.

I can get all that into my pair of givi E22 hard bags, which are 22 liters each, and have space left over to carry a plug kit and small inflator, along with a rain jacket and extra pair of gloves.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:10:01 PM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:17:04 AM »
I have 40lt Hepco-Becker cases and a top box. I can go for 10 days without a laundry stop. However my ST1300 had far less storage and I still went the 10 days. Regardless of the storage capacity you will fill it! Pack clothing that can easily be rinsed out and dry the next morning and there are lots of fabrics to choose from including undergarments. The tough part is packing for a wide band of weather conditions, then layering is the trick.....I think an article is in line here!
Bottom line, the 40lt cases will be plenty if you pack smart. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »
Like Jim said I too have always filled the bags I've had at the time. It's actually easier on longer trips. I pack for 4 or 5 days ride between laundry. So I pretty much pack like Pat said. On longer trips I get into a rhythm of the 5 day laundry stop. On my Tenere' I have the 37 ltr bags and my ever present RKA INCHARGE tank bag. To that I add a water proof roll bag on the back and have more than enough room. The roll bag ends up being my carry into the room (I don't camp any more) bag.
Works for me... YMMV

TOOLS:  It's kind of interesting that now that I ride new bikes where as when I was younger and couldn't necessarily afford a new bike... now I carry more tools.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

occam22

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »
thanks all.. It seems that 40 should be enough provided I pack with care.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
Nancy and I have been using microfiber undies for a long time. They pack small, wick moisture away from your skin and except in the most humid locations will dry overnight in a hotel room. I could probably get by with just two changes but I usually pack 5 or 6 days worth. These used to be hard to find but nowadays they are available from most any sporting goods or outdoor shop. Contrary to what the American Cotton Council would have you believe, cotton is the worst possible fiber for outdoor underwear. It retains moisture (13% versus <1% for polyester or nylon) and aside form taking forever to dry, holds moisture against your skin and causes chaffing and eventually "monkey butt". Yeah, it's great in an air conditioned environment but that's not what we're dealing with here.

And, of course, there is the theory that motorcycle gear is very much like an ideal gas, it will expand to fill whatever space is available...
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

occam22

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
thx Jim. I discovered the wonders of exofficio quick dry base layers a while back. As their story goes... 17 countries, 6 weeks and one pair of underwear. Haha.  Even though they wash and dry in a matter of minutes, Id prefer to have a pair for each day  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:21:46 PM by occam22 »

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »
Kriega is a good product but if you're budget minded any of the SeaLine Dry Bags will carry whatever you need and it will be dry when you get there. Purchase Rock straps and forget about worrying when the bungee cords/bungee net will break. Rock Straps now have different width straps making it easy to accommodate any rear seat area.

Micro Fiber best of all worlds. Invest in LD Comfort under wear. They will definitely extend your distance! Larry Ward
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:20:34 PM by wardie »
Wardie

Offline Steveinfl

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
Plus 1 on the last post. I have used SeaLine Dry Bags and Roc Straps. Both work great. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk