Author Topic: Pinlock anti-fog shield  (Read 7403 times)

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
Pinlock anti-fog shield
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
Long ago when Fog City fog shields first came out, I tried them and they worked pretty well. Seems Fog City was bought by Maric Performance who rebadged the shield as InVision. These InVision shields don't work at all, at least for me.

So, long story short, I've started looking at Pinlock and was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Choon

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
Re: Pinlock anti-fog shield
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
So, long story short, I've started looking at Pinlock and was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Choon
Hi Choon,

When I bought a Schuberth C3 helmet about 5 years ago, it came with a Pinlock insert. When I tried it, I was disappointed that it made my vision noticeably more blurry. Additionally on the occasion that I needed it when riding in cold weather, it seemed to fog up quite a bit. Since then I haven't used any Pinlock inserts and get along OK with the plain visor. I don't put any anti-fog spray on the visor. Instead, I just unlatch the modular chinbar just enough that fresh air can get inside and clear the visor.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline aaronengle

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Suzuki GSX1300BK
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
Got my C-3 in 2011 and rode to Newfoundland and back (Ohio). Pinlock worked good on several rainy days up to 200 miles and then would have to take apart, dry with a soft cloth and reattach (making sure Pinlock was sealed good). 2013 trip to Alaska was similar. One thousand mile day had 500 in the rain for the first half and had to dry it out a couple of times. Visibility is compromised somewhat but not enough for me to be distracted by it. Tried wipes instead of Pinlock in the cold(40f or less) and had more distortion. Cleaned and went back to Pinlock. Rode all fall up to Jan. 1 of this year with low temps around 20 degrees. Condensation was all around but Pinlock was clear.   

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:28 AM »
I was introduced to Pinlock several (5 or 6?)years ago at the Indy Dealer Expo and have used them since. I love my Shoei helmets, RF1100 and RF1200, but they are terrible for fogging with their normal shield. The Pinlock shield and inserts solved that problem for me. I have a clear insert for normal use and a dark one for sunny days when fogging isn't much of a problem, but it provides me with a tinted  shield without having to buy another shield. The RF1200 now comes standard with a pinlock ready shield but you still have to buy the insert.

Some may not know that the pins are made to rotate to get the proper adjustment so that the insert is sealed against the shield. If it doesn't seal properly, you will get some fogging. I sometimes get a slight bit of condensation at the bottom inside of the shield after quite a bit of riding, but it is simple to just lift the shield while riding and wipe that area with my gloved finger.

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
I'm using a pinlock on my Shoei NeoTec.  If you can get it sealed to the shield tightly, it works well.  It not, it's worse than worthless (the fogging happens between the pinlock and the shield, where you can't rub it off.)  I used the Fog City shields previously, and really liked them.  It looks like switching back isn't an option anymore.
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »
With my Nolan Flip Front I have used the Pinlock with varying degrees of success. My Arai solid has a small lever on the left side which when pushed slightly lifts the visor just enough to eliminate fogging. I would think Shoei would have something similar. I haven't had much problem with the Arai even in a downpour where fogging is usually present.

Those who don't wish to use pinlock can try a product called Cat Crap or Rain-X even spit works :)

Larry Ward
Wardie

Offline erniee

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: MOTO GUZZI V85 Honor Guard
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »
I've had good luck using pinlock, helps will the fogging under most conditions. It does give you another line to look thru when looking down at the tank bag, but no really a issue. They must be clean and fit tight.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
I've been reading all these posts about Pinlock and fogging shields and well... My Scorpion EXO1100 doesn't fog up. So I don't need Pinlock or cat crap.

I don't know why it doesn't fog but I like it!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
With my Nolan Flip Front I have used the Pinlock with varying degrees of success. My Arai solid has a small lever on the left side which when pushed slightly lifts the visor just enough to eliminate fogging. I would think Shoei would have something similar. I haven't had much problem with the Arai even in a downpour where fogging is usually present.

Those who don't wish to use pinlock can try a product called Cat Crap or Rain-X even spit works :)

Larry Ward

The Shoei RF models do have a similar lever that can be used to crack the shield. That is fine for helping to reduce fog in cool weather, but it isn't worth a darn in the rain, as when you crack the shield at the bottom, you also crack it at the top and that lets water run in on the back of the shield. I can keep the Pinlock shield completely closed in heavy rain and no water gets in and no fogging. Works for me. As I mentioned above the pins are eccentric, so they are made to rotate to get the proper fit so you have a proper seal, just like a storm window. If installed correctly, they work well. Just takes a little time the first time you fit an insert to the shield.

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:57:57 PM »
Amazing timing. Just now got an email from Motorcyclist magazine with a test of anti fog methods. Only 1 got all A's for convenience, clarity and performance.

http://tinyurl.com/jnfz7f4

Offline David

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 72k
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 FJ-09
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 07:46:16 AM »
I returned to motorcycling in 2013 and didn't know what a  pinlock lens was until 2015. My Shoei works great with the eccentric pins adjusted properly. I only wish I'd known about them sooner.
83 GS1100E   07 DL1000   07 GSF1250   02 FZ1    15 FJ-09  12 FZ-1

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »

Larry Ward

The Shoei RF models do have a similar lever that can be used to crack the shield. That is fine for helping to reduce fog in cool weather, but it isn't worth a darn in the rain, as when you crack the shield at the bottom, you also crack it at the top and that lets water run in on the back of the shield. I can keep the Pinlock shield completely closed in heavy rain and no water gets in and no fogging. Works for me. As I mentioned above the pins are eccentric, so they are made to rotate to get the proper fit so you have a proper seal, just like a storm window. If installed correctly, they work well. Just takes a little time the first time you fit an insert to the shield.
Was just going to say the same, all my RF models had it and I use them alot. Even in the rain and I don't notice that much rain coming in at the top and running down the shield.
I never used one of the discussed lense insert, but I did try some of those anti-fogging treatments (cream, liquid) that I got at the bike show once, think it was Zook, and it did nothing for me. Also if you wear glasses, the more layer of optic change you add the worse your vision is, at least for me. For example I usually wear regular distance glasses and a dark smoke shield. When its less sunny I use a clear shield, if I wore my regular glasses and add clip on type shades over them, there was a lot more distortion in the vision.
Ha-ha, see the Zooke product in the review Paco Bulto posted, D+ sounds about right.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »

[/quote]
Ha-ha, see the Zooke product in the review Paco Bulto posted, D+ sounds about right.
[/quote]

I love it! Once when I was working the IMS in NY with Rob Pemble for Mad Maps I saw a New Yorker punch a Zook employee. As usual the Zook employee took the glasses right off the head of the New Yorker. Bamm! Was the result. Down went the Zook guy! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650