Author Topic: New to forum and MSTA but old everywhere else!  (Read 5422 times)

Offline 5up

• Forum Member
New to forum and MSTA but old everywhere else!
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
John here, look forward to meeting some of you on the road or at an event. I'm in Central Texas where there is lots of good riding paved or not.
I have an addiction to 2 wheels and since new bikes are too much $$$$ and I can't find one bike that does it all......

I currently ride a 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada (Motard), 2011 Kawasaki Versys, my "favorite" is a 1983 V65 Magna, 2003 VFR800 love it! and of course my gravel road bikes the old kick start 1983 XL600R and a 1986 XL600R they are old but still a blast.
I hope to make Big Bend in 2018 and maybe the Coronado Trail in AZ, plus numerous weekend rides.
Mexico???  ;D

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: New to forum and MSTA but old everywhere else!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:09:24 PM »
Welcome!  Glad to have you here.  Please check out the thread in Upcoming Events about 2018 events.  There is a group meeting up for a Big Bend Adventure in early 2018.  I’m sure they would welcome you to come along.  You can probsbly find some people willing to venture into Mexico too.  Hope to see you at a National or at the Hill Country Rally some day.

Pat M
not all that wander are lost

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »
Hi John and welcome to the MSTA. Hope to meet you at an event next year! -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
 Hi John, Welcome! I’ve ridden some of Mexico four times and loved each trip. I also enjoy TX riding too. I’ll not make Big Bend this year. Enjoy for me.
Brick

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
Hello John,
Welcome to the group.  I live in MN, but hope you check out the Hill Country of TX, if you have not already done so.  I have heard so much about it, and have never rode there, but my wife and I were in the Hill country, by car, in Sep, 2017 spending a few days before the races at COTA, where I worked as an Official for SCCA Pro Racing F4 series.

We enjoyed the Hill Country and wish we would have spent more time there.

1983 V65 is a great bike.  I rode several when I worked at a Honda dealer in the late 70's-80's.  I also restored a '83 V45 Interceptor with 14,000 miles on it.  Finished it last spring and sold it to a collector in Houston, TX.  He loves it and it was not in the hurricane flood.

Come north to STAR 2018 in La Crosse, WI in June, 2018.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline 5up

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
Hello John,
Welcome to the group.  I live in MN, but hope you check out the Hill Country of TX, if you have not already done so.  I have heard so much about it, and have never rode there, but my wife and I were in the Hill country, by car, in Sep, 2017 spending a few days before the races at COTA, where I worked as an Official for SCCA Pro Racing F4 series.

We enjoyed the Hill Country and wish we would have spent more time there.

1983 V65 is a great bike.  I rode several when I worked at a Honda dealer in the late 70's-80's.  I also restored a '83 V45 Interceptor with 14,000 miles on it.  Finished it last spring and sold it to a collector in Houston, TX.  He loves it and it was not in the hurricane flood.

Come north to STAR 2018 in La Crosse, WI in June, 2018.

Hey Ride4MS,
I have been riding the 3 sisters (Hill Country) since 1982! Back then it had no name and wasn't well known but my wife and I loved it! I still do but my current wife doesn't ride unfortunately. The 3 sisters are the most popular now but there is so much more than those three roads of course.
I did a frame up restore on my 83 Magna with a few mods, the engine is stock and did mostly suspension work etc. It's smooth, comfortable and still has plenty of zip.

I'm interested in STAR 2018 I'll check into it. Good riding up there?
 Big Bend is on my list this Spring 1st.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »
Hello John,

Lots of great riding will be had at STAR 2018 in La Crosse.  It is called the Driftless area.  Check out the latest issues of STAReview as well as the forum.  Last June, when it was announced, there was some discussion about La Crosse and the riding.  I have a few articles coming in the nest few issues also.  Past issues can be also found on this website, with the first article on La Crosse area and the riding and scenery.  Registration will open in about 1 month.  Now is the time to make your plans, whether it be taking vacation at work, or with family.  There is also a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel for the non-riding people if you bring your wife along.
Hope to see you in June.  Any questions, please let me know.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
Welcome aboard from soon to be cold and wintery (but currently suuny and pleasant) NE Ohio.
Never ridden in Texas, but have heard good things.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »
Welcome John from northwest Arkansas....  I've ridden the hill country and it is awesome.  We have some pretty great roads here as well.  STAR 2015 was here although I wasn't able to attend.

Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline 5up

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and ride information. I'm really considering the Star 2018 in La Crosse but would have to change existing plans to do this.
It might be best for me to stick to "the plan" in place and then make Star 2019 a priority.
Many things are happening in my business and personal life these next 6 months or so and I feel like I need to float along and see what happens.
Small trips like Friday thru Sunday can happen anytime though!
Arkansas is within that 3 day adventure for sure! I have been all over Arkansas but not on a motorcycle. Hey tunerider I hear you and really would like a good tour of Arkansas's finest!
For anyone that has aspirations of riding the Texas Hill Country it is worth the effort to get here. Understand though it is not a small area and it takes many trips to see most of it.
There are the prime roads but so many more that are beautiful and fun to ride. I would be happy to help anyone with routes etc. I might even join in to guide a little just for fun.
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and stay out of the giggle weeds!

Offline VersysBoy

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • 2UP on a V
    • Motoadrenaline
  • Lifetime Mileage: Lots been riding for
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE+
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
Hey John Welcome. I used to ride a V65 Sabre it was awesome. Just left Texas! Love riding in the LoneStar state

Jerry & Jamie James
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000SE+
https://motoadrenalinetours.blog