Author Topic: RKA Comment on Communications  (Read 15461 times)

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000 at least
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 BMW R1200RT
Re: RKA Comment on Communications
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
Hi Norm,

Very good ..... Now please let it go!
I am the outsider here and disagree with most of what you say in one way or another.
After almost 30 years in the communications business I seem to find it very hard for me to have credibility when you are THE GUY.
The one thing you wrote that HAS to be commented on is
Mesh intercom is incompatible with A2DP devices according to Richard,

This is  NOT what I said

I tested TWO 30K's in mesh mode, using a SM10 with mp3 plugged in, NAV VI GPS, iPhone X, using A2DP, Audio Multitasking, intercom
EVERYTHING worked fine, WHEN IN MESH MODE.

I will say this one more time
The 30K is not for everybody
The 30K does have issues at this time.

RKA offers the complete line of SENA including the 20S EVO.
If that's what you decide we got 20S EVO's and we will have them at STAR.

PLEASE LET THIS GO NOW.  :-X

We offer a LOT of OTHER products and we are shipping a LOT of very BIG boxes to La Crosse.
I have my route, rooms, gas stops, restaurants loaded into my Nav VI I am READY to have some fun.
But at this point it does not seem fruitful for RKA to even come to STAR.

Richard

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
I was one of the riders in Don Moe’s group of 8 riders and the mesh worked just fine and MUCH easier to pair unlike the 20S units in large groups. That said, we did have issues when Bluetooth pairing with a rider using a 20S. It would drop from the group about every 20 minutes and that old familiar “popcorn” sound was ever present. When the 20S unit was not in the group the mesh technology worked pretty much as advertised.
A few weeks later 4 of us all using the 30 units used private mode.....a definite improvement over public mode, primarily being sound quality and improved distance. We tested the range and line of sight and were able to communicate (best guess) at least one mile without line of sight.
I think a lot of what I’m reading here is two-fold. One Sena still has bugs with the 30K. Secondly (at least in my case) the buttons serve multiple functions which leads to user error.....I simply needed to read the manual closer!

I recall in my working days I would have a line of CADD techs coming into my office telling how terrible the new software was that we just installed. However after a few weeks the grumbling would stop and a few weeks more it was the “best update ever!”
So be patient 30K users all things shall pass. ;) -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline R1200GS

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
Richard, I've been working communications since about 1980. CB, Amateur Radio (advanced class), and lots of military.  Had an FCC Commercial Radiotelephone License (don't have them anymore but were required to run TV and radio stations back in the day).  At NSA I wrote the NSA position on foreign military sales and for tracking down interference issues on everything from satellites to Air Force One.  What I do know is that Norm and Jeff know how to test technical gear and the majority of folks on the web are over their heads on an issue like this.  That's why I agree with you that we need to stop the discussion FOR NOW.  Both pro and against the 30K.   It is my opinion, and a boat load of others on the web,  that the 30K has issues right now, but needs to fixed.  I just feel like the end user is an unknowing beta tester. 

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
Agreed .... Both of you.
 :trink39:

Offline R1200GS

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »

I was one of the riders in Don Moe’s group of 8 riders and the mesh worked just fine and MUCH easier to pair unlike the 20S units in large groups. That said, we did have issues when Bluetooth pairing with a rider using a 20S. It would drop from the group about every 20 minutes and that old familiar “popcorn” sound was ever present. When the 20S unit was not in the group the mesh technology worked pretty much as advertised.
A few weeks later 4 of us all using the 30 units used private mode.....a definite improvement over public mode, primarily being sound quality and improved distance. We tested the range and line of sight and were able to communicate (best guess) at least one mile without line of sight
A couple questions that I have on the 30K that I have yet to get an answer on.  Probably because from what I read the 30K operates in both Mesh and BT and most users really don't understand what all is in play in various situations.
1. On a 20s the pop corn only comes into play when 3 or more users are paired in a daisy chain.
2. In Mesh on a 30K, it is NOT working like a BT or at least I don't believe it is, so it should not generate the pop corn sound.
3. When a 30K user says they hear pop corn, what is being configured?
     a. Does it happen at all when all users are connected as 30K units?  (I'm pretty sure the answer is no)
     b. When you operate the 30K as BT, do you daisy chain pair the other 30K units and do you get pop corn with 30K units in BT?
     c. When you say a 20s is added to the mesh, you get pop corn, correct? (Probably not say this right, just trying to understand a mixed mode)

(1) Is the 30K operating as BT, Mesh or both when this happens?
        (2) Does that 20s automatically add itself to the mesh or do you have to configure something in BT to add it?
         (3) Do you have to go to BT and daisy chain to mix BT and mesh?

I'm a 20s user and Sena has not fixed the pop corn issue with them even they have known about the problem for years.  I'm trying to figure out if they actually fixed it in the 30K.  I'm also convinced that a key issue to find out what is causing the problem is to see how the 30K handles the problem in the BT mode.
Thanks

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »
RKA has been manufacturing Luggage for 33 years check out this video.
Our kitties are the NEW stars of our lead in AND I must say one of my better productions  8)
33 years of excellence

We are shipping a LOT of boxes but not has many as I could load in the rig.
If any of you have a product you are interested in let me know and we'll be sure and bring it.
For example ..... Two of our newer products are the BMW 1600 Bagger liners. A seven piece set!

AND our 49ner rackbag (it's 49 liters & it's also named after Hwy 49 our California mother lode hwy)

Also I will be riding with my new SENA Momentum INC, Intelligent Noise Canceling helmet
We have been using Schuberths for many years now and I am changing!!!
This is a great stand alone helmet and add in all the features and and and ......

Over view SENA Momentum INC Helmet

Check out the WHOLE website, and the Newsletter page and YouTube page,

Richard
RKA

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
I have removed my other posts from this thread. 

I hope that each and every person who purchases a Sena 30K has excellent results with it!

Norm Kern

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
Norm does not seem to understand the difference between a private message and a post on the forum.

That was not necessary to do.
I would just like to change the subject that we do not agree on.

Lets move on PLEASE!

Richard

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
Here are some photos of different RKA tankbags on different brands and models

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
I for one am very interested in seeing the new helmet and in meeting Richard at STAR.
not all that wander are lost

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »
Do you make any tankloc bags or custom tank bags? I bought the smallest Givi tanklok bag for use on my Multistrada but it still makes access to the ignition key a major hassle. The Ducati bag probably works better but I rankle at paying 3X$ for it >:(
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »
If I am lucky enough to make it to STAR, I will be sporting some RKA luggage no matter which I ride, most likely old faithful the ST11. Tank bag is faded but still working, tail pack and bag liners, no electronics. I'm old school and use CB and AOL. So laugh if you want I'm happy!!!!  Hope to ride with y'all.  TM
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:51:24 AM by STLTHMSTA »

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
I bought the smallest Givi tanklok bag for use on my Multistrada but it still makes access to the ignition key a major hassle.

Ahhhah... another person spoiled and coddled by the mighty powers of KIPASS.  ;D
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »
I bought the smallest Givi tanklok bag for use on my Multistrada but it still makes access to the ignition key a major hassle.

Ahhhah... another person spoiled and coddled by the mighty powers of KIPASS.  ;D
Yep KIPASS ROCKS! Richard, Do you do custom tank bags? By the way I love the way the left and right bags perfectly fit my asymetrical Multistrada panniers.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
Do you make any tankloc bags or custom tank bags? I bought the smallest Givi tanklok bag for use on my Multistrada but it still makes access to the ignition key a major hassle. The Ducati bag probably works better but I rankle at paying 3X$ for it >:(

No lock rings for use.
Everything is three point webbing attachments this way you can move the tankbag where you want it.
Check out the Ducati Photo Gallery Page and the best fit for you is our 13 liter Shiloh Rd