collapse

Author Topic: A Rally of Historical Proportions.....NEW for 2018!!!! JULY 6-8  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Executive Committee
A Rally of Historical Proportions.....NEW for 2018!!!! JULY 6-8
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:16:53 AM »

Announcing a NEW EVENT for 2018....

Remember how much fun we had in Kentucky during the STAR events of 2005 and 2013?  Remember the great roads, the scenery, the little towns, mom and pop restaurants, historic distilleries, and beautiful state parks?  Don't you wish you had a reason to return and spend some more time there?  Well, now you do!   Announcing the new Rally of Historical Proportions!
Not just a new rally location, but also a new twist on the old MSTA rally format!  Something new and fun for all that participate!

First off....this will have all of the things you expect out of your MSTA rally experience....a nice hotel (the Microtel Inn and Suites, Georgetown, Kentucky), GREAT roads to ride (GPS and paper routes will be available), good food and dinning within walking distance (hotel will provide breakfast and there are PLENTY of restaurants within a few hundred yards of the hotel), and plenty of MSTA friends to see!  All centered in the historic bluegrass area of Kentucky, just north of Lexington on I-75.

Here's the NEW TWIST...

Have you ever wanted to see what it would be like to do the IRON BUTT RALLY?  Do you like to take photographs of your motorcycle journey adventures? Do you like to play games?  Ever done a scavenger hunt?  Well, here's to chance to do all of those things!  Because the ROHP will include a 10 hour MOTORCYCLE PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT for anyone wishing to participate!

You will be challenged to ride to, and take a photograph of, as many state and national historic sites as you can during the hours of 8 and 6 on Saturday July 7th.  The full list of point locations, and their values, will be handed out at check-in on Friday, along with any special stipulations and bonus possibilities.  You will also receive a rally flag/towel.  You will be required to take a picture showing your bike, the rally flag, and a sign showing the name of the bonus location.  At the end of the day all entries will be scored and the winner(s) declared!  However, the purpose of this event/competition is not so much to win, as it is to challenge the participants and their routing skills...and most importantly to have FUN! 

I HIGHLY recommend getting yourself a copy of the DeLorme Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer if you plan to compete.  I will have copies of the official Kentucky highways map to pass out at check-in.

The official host hotel is the Microtel Inn and Suites, Georgetown, Kentucky.  Located at 111 Darby Drive, Georgetown, Kentucky 40324.  The room rate will be 62.95 per night for a double room.  You must call the hotel yourself and reserve your room.  Rooms will be held under the MSTA name until 15 days before the event.  The hotel phone # is 502-868-8000.  If they fill up there are several other hotels right next door or across the road, but they will cost you upwards of 2x our rate at the Microtel.

Registration for the event will open up on 1/1/2018 use the link www.planetreg.com/E12718253557791 to go to registration.

Registration cost will be 10.00 for regular MSTA members, 9.00 for sustaining members, and 25.00 for non-MSTA member attendees.  However that 25.00 fee will entitle you to a free 1-yr MSTA membership. (only for NEW people, not renewals or returning members)

ALL PROCEEDS FROM THIS EVENT WILL GO TO THE RiDE FOR KIDS FOUNDATION.

Facebook users can follow along, ask questions, and discuss the event by going to the group page...A Rally of Historical Proportions

The 'Historical" part?.....ALL of the point locations will have something to do with Kentucky History and the people that made it.   It promises to be an "historical" experience for all!    :)

Hope to see everyone there!  Help support the Ride For Kids Foundation!

Any Questions....contact me at kyzrex@aol.com or call me at 859-620-6352

Pat Mogavero
MSTA-Ky State Director
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:56:39 PM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline normkern

• MSTA Member
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Re: A Rally of Historical Proportions.....NEW for 2018!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
Very cool in every way.

Great job, Pat!

Norm Kern

Offline sirepair

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 93 Honda ST1100/15 Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
Sounds like fun! I can only pencil it on my current schedule, but I'll  press real hard!  ;)

Offline HawkGTRider

• Lifetime Mileage: 738,638
  • Primary Motorcycle: '07 BMW F650GS thumper now over 100k miles
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
I've done a few similar events to this over the years, and they've always been fun and challenging. This one sounds like a real hoot!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator
MSTA Secretary
TriSTAR Coordinator
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
NEWS FLASH...

just found out that Team Strange (www.teamstrange.com) is running the 2018 edition of the Butt Lite rally from July 8-14th and the start/finish will be at the Marriott North in Lexington, kY.  That's about 10-15 miles south of Georgetown!

How BIG is the Butt Lite IX Rally?

The top 10 finishers are automatically qualified for the 2019 Iron Butt Rally!
It costs each participant $895.00 dollars just to ENTER!
and its is already SOLD OUT, as it has reached its max of 100 entries!

This rally is 2nd only to the Iron Butt Rally in terms of prestige and difficulty.

the 2016 winner traveled over 7200 miles and he wasn't the person that went the furthest!

Team Strange has invited all of us to attend the start on Sunday morning.  It is your chance to see what serious big time rallying is all about, up close and personal.  If you would like to help, they are looking for volunteers too.  Go to their website for more information.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 753,402
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere'... could be an FJ-09 we will see
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
NEWS FLASH...

just found out that Team Strange (www.teamstrange.com) is running the 2018 edition of the Butt Lite rally from July 8-14th and the start/finish will be at the Marriott North in Lexington, kY.  That's about 10-15 miles south of Georgetown!

How BIG is the Butt Lite IX Rally?

The top 10 finishers are automatically qualified for the 2019 Iron Butt Rally!
It costs each participant $895.00 dollars just to ENTER!
and its is already SOLD OUT, as it has reached its max of 100 entries!

This rally is 2nd only to the Iron Butt Rally in terms of prestige and difficulty.

the 2016 winner traveled over 7200 miles and he wasn't the person that went the furthest!

Team Strange has invited all of us to attend the start on Sunday morning.  It is your chance to see what serious big time rallying is all about, up close and personal.  If you would like to help, they are looking for volunteers too.  Go to their website for more information.

This is very cool! I do hope to be able to attend and would love to see the start of the Butt Lite too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
Brick...I sure hope that you’re able to be there!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 110,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: Sprint
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
Sounds very interesting Pat, might want to include the event dates somewhere in this thread. Yes I know there is an event calendar place where they all show up, but if I got to this thread to read about the rally it is good basic info to include.

I was just thru this area on my way back and forth to TN for Thanksgiving. While I was passenger I noticed the big complex of buildings near the highway and found out it is a huge Toyota plant, largest in the world according to some info I read later.
Steve Grabowski - Northern OH Asst Director
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Patmo

Re: A Rally of Historical Proportions.....NEW for 2018!!!! JULY 6-8
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
Well bless my heart, didn’t realize I hadn’t put the date in the title...fixed now.  Thanks for the reminder!

That Toyota plant has been making Camry’s for years, and employs about 7000 people.  The host hotel is in the other side of the highway from the plant.

Offline Patmo

Re: A Rally of Historical Proportions.....NEW for 2018!!!! JULY 6-8
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN

www.planetreg.com/E12718253557791

* Upcoming Events

• event The 25th Annual Texas Hill Country Rally - 26 Oct