Author Topic: STAR 2018 Registration is Open 😁  (Read 29659 times)

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
Re: STAR 2018 Registration is Open 😁
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
Actually I wasn't trying to stay any extra days only come in on Saturday but Harry got me straightened out.

Is it summer yet :)
Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
I've registered, but haven't received a confirmation to allow booking a room.
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

Offline hhemstreet

• Forum Member II
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Roger - I sent you a confirm from my gmail account.

ATT generally blocks our emails.

If anyone else has that problem - just contact me hhemstreet@planetreg.com or harryhemstreet@gmail.com

Or - just post it here an I will see it.

Many email providers are more diligent in blocking emails - even though we have a 99.5% non-spam score. There are people who mark their confirmations as spam - not much we can do about.

Harry

P.S. I also removed your 4X t-shirt - that was my mistake in not cleaning up the 2018 form and letting one 4X size get into the new form.

My bad - will have Tim mail you a check.

Offline hhemstreet

• Forum Member II
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »
It looks like sbcglobal.net, bellsouth.net and att.net will always fail to deliver our emails.

This has been an issue with ATT for a long time.

For anyone who cares to dig deeper, check out this:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/The-infamous-Bellsouth-net-Email-Troubleshooting-and-Answers/td-p/5231694

If you have one of those emails and also another one, like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, outlook.com, etc. use that email and you will get your confirmation a lot faster.

Harry

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »
Thanks, Harry, I got the confirmation e-mail.  Room booked and I'll see you in June.
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »
When I worked at OTC our customer's had trouble with electronic downloads for their scan tools, with Bellsouth.  This problem had been there since about 2000, that we knew of.  They had a choice, try a different provider or ask Bellsouth to open, I can't remember the port number anymore, and that would usually work, if they did open it.  Many times they could not convince anyone to open the port for downloads.  Bellsouth said it was their Bellsouth security system.  Well customers don't need a security that they cannot control, when needed.  It was very frustrating for everyone.  Some customers would get mad.  Some thought we were giving them the run around, and thinking their Bellsouth is perfect. 
All we could do is send them an email explaining the situation, that our IT Dept got from Bellsouth.
Bellsouth is probably not the only provider with block ports.

Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:21 AM »
Is anyone interested in camping during STAR? I'm giving some thought to pitching a tent 8 1/2 miles from the Radisson at the Goose Island Campground. Fees run about $22/night with a small fee for a shower. Call me a cheapskate if you mustr, but spending less for the entire event as I would for one night at one of the hotels is tempting.

http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/departments/facilities/campgrounds.asp
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:45:47 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
Another nice campground is Pettibone Campground, only 1.3 miles from Hotel, on an island in the river.  Both are very nice campgrounds and accept reservations, where as some of the others do not accept reservations.
We looked at Goose Island a few months ago, as a possible Lunch Stop location.  Would not work for that.  It is also has a big party shelter with beer taps all around the room, with bands on weekends. :trink39:

La Crosse is also home to the Worlds Largest Six Pack of Beer. 
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12028

We have not been to Pettibone for a few years, but plan to check it out before STAR, so that I can let everyone know how it compares.

Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 

Offline hhemstreet

• Forum Member II
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Just did a quick Google search on La Crosse lodging and America's Best Value Inn - a reasonable property, has lodging for 6 nights (June 8-14) for $340.00 (57.00 / night).

Not as cheap as camping, but still pretty cheap for clean sheets and a shower.

Get someone to share that room and cost is 28.00 per night.

Harry

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
June in La Crosse could be humid also.  Not the most enjoyable for sleeping after a long days ride, in a tent.  Both locations are next to river, in valley, with lots of trees, and with very little breeze, if any.  Oh, neither place has crocodiles in the river that I am aware of.  But, you may see a lot of Bald Eagles, and other wild life.

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
June in La Crosse could be humid also.  Not the most enjoyable for sleeping after a long days ride, in a tent.  Both locations are next to river, in valley, with lots of trees, and with very little breeze, if any.  Oh, neither place has crocodiles in the river that I am aware of.  But, you may see a lot of Bald Eagles, and other wild life.

It gotta be better than pitching a tent behind the hotel in Oklahoma. It may be a slight exaggeration, but I seem to recall near 90 degree temps until after 10:30-11:00 P.M. each night. You'd lay there in your tent sweating until you finally fell asleep from sheer exhaustion. That was nasty.

There was a small group of campers in Staunton in 2009, and we had a campfire, conversation, and adult beverages each night. It's one of my most fond memories of any STAR.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »
That sounds almost like camping, when I was in the US Army in Ft. Bliss, TX.  We went to White Sands Missile Range, NM in the Fall 1973.   I was a Hawk Missile Technician and we slept in the back of a running deuce and half truck, while running, so we could keep the lights on so the tanks would see us at night as they came over the sand dunes.  A few trucks got hit by the tanks.  It was 95F+ when we went to sleep and woke during the night with the cool desert temp below 50F and then cover up and by morning there was frost.  We did not have a tent or cover over us, just looking at the stars.  And it was not STAR 1973 either.
After those camping adventures, I preferred to camp, only in a van or camper, no tents.  But, I did tent camp on several two week adventures in the US Army Reserves for another 23 years.  Ft. Mc Coy is just down the road from La Crosse.  And on the river near Winona, MN, just up the river.
What memories.
The Mississippi River area is a great place to camp with all the sounds of the birds, animals and other animals in the water.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:36:41 PM by Ride4MS »

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
Is anyone interested in camping during STAR? I'm giving some thought to pitching a tent 8 1/2 miles from the Radisson at the Goose Island Campground. Fees run about $22/night with a small fee for a shower. Call me a cheapskate if you mustr, but spending less for the entire event as I would for one night at one of the hotels is tempting.

I've been doing some more investigating regarding camp sites. I'm not really a big fan of commercial campgrounds with all of their so-called family activities and such. So in the interest of staying away from such places, I expanded my search to a couple of area state parks. Each of these are around 1/2 hour from LaCrosse, and that's something I can live with.
The first is on the Wisconsin side of the river north of LaCrosse. Perrot State Park (http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/perrot/) is where the Trempealeau River converges with the Mississippi River. This would probably be a pretty good option, and would undoubtedly be much more quiet than any of the commercial campgrounds. But being right on the river, it's going to attract a fair share of boaters and fishermen.
The second is on the Minnesota side of the river, also north of LaCrosse. Great River Bluffs State Park (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/great_river_bluffs/index.html) really kind of trips my trigger, because while it overlooks the Mississippi River, it's not right on the river. Therefore, it probably won't be full of boaters and such (not that there's anything wrong with boats...I had one once and still have a canoe). It has only 31 sites with none equipped with any of those silly electric hookups. I'm going to guess that an experience there will be a lot closer to why I've enjoyed camping over the years. I'm not committed yet, but I think this may be the way I go.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 06:56:04 AM »
Anyone interested in doing an Airbnb or Homeaway rental?  Looks like there are some decent opportunities, with room for small groups, that are within minutes of the host hotel.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
We have not been to either park, so not sure what they are like for camping.  As far as the river with boats, the boats are mainly on the weekend, so not a big problem.  Goose Island, did look more like a party campground, unless you camped way off the main entrance, away from the party shelter, which is possible. 

The other thing to keep in mind is most state parks also require a state park permit, and some don't except reservations.  Veterans Memorial Park about 9 miles east of La Crosse is a nice campground, but is a first come first served.

When you, or anyone else narrows it down, and if you would like me to check it out, send me a pm and I will check it out when I get to the area.  We are thinking about going to the La Crosse area in February.

Airbnb is a great way to go also.  Can get a whole house very cheap sometimes.  We have used airbnb several times and will be doing it again in mid-January for South Padre Island.