Author Topic: Trailers  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
Trailers
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
Anyone do trailers? I got tired of taking the truck when I needed to pick up a broken training bike from one of the sites and also wanted to be able to take the Dirt bike on trip that were not local where I might have to travel a couple hours so I designed a trailer to tow behind my bike.

This is the trailer frame work. I started with an Axel from one of those little 4' x 4' trailers and narrowed it up for the 3' frame.

I then had to figure out where to put the rail to get the proper amount of tongue weight I wanted. More than 25 lbs and less than 50 lbs.

I had to make sure that the height would be right and since no one makes a trailer hitch for the Vmax, I found that the hitch designed for the Old Honda CX500 AKA Silver Wing from back in the day, would work if I redesigned different bracing so I did.

I then decked it with Aluminum Diamond Plate and added a full 360 degree swivel coupler (One of the most expensive pieces I had to buy.

Now I can move bikes as I wish, while I ride. I probably have over 10,000 miles on the trailer now while being towed by the Vmax.

I even Let a friend Ride the VMax for a wedding (Not me on the bike) as I was in the wedding party and the Bride arrived on the trailer and they all left on the trailer (Just to be cool!)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:34:58 PM by Outlaws Justice »
David
National Rider Training

rideandfly

Re: Trailers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
Great job on the trailer!!!!  Like the tow vehicle, too!

Use a trailer to haul bikes quite a bit. But I leave a trailer hooked up to a pickup when riding local mountains, so I can call my Wife or Son to pick me up if something breaks I cannot fix on the road. Had to make that call once, so far.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:25:29 AM by rideandfly »

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:23:27 PM »
Trailers yes, towed by a bike no, build my own no. Looks very nice, and cool seeing it pulled while leaned way over.

Mostly used a Kendon folding trailer (2 and 1 rail) borrowed by a friend for a couple of trips, taking my bike to the shop, etc. Great tools for sure, after I borrowed my friends single and used it many times I realized how useful they could be.

I always thought a big touring bike pulling a nice sporty bike would be idea for going to ride far away on good roads, like from Ohio to Colorado. Or some sort of transformer bike (Gold Wing on the highway, VFR when I get to the twisties.) Still not sure I'd want to ride across the plains...ZZZZZ
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »
Outlaw Justice that's some mean lean angle you got going on there especially pulling that trailer!
Wardie

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
Outlaw Justice that's some mean lean angle you got going on there especially pulling that trailer!

Yes, I learned to have faith in my machine and myself with the Total Control Classes. That is a picture when I was teaching a class in Toronto Ontario. Had a student planning a cross country trip towing a camper so I was towing my Hawk GT for the demonstrations. I was actually getting a knee down while towing. Just remember I do not recommend this at home or on the street! It is nice to have the tools in your toolbox though.

David
National Rider Training

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »
You have a picture of a gray NT650 on the trailer in a driveway and a red one on your range. Mine's blue and that pretty well takes care of the stock colors. :-)
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 08:22:54 AM »

Yes, I learned to have faith in my machine and myself with the Total Control Classes. That is a picture when I was teaching a class in Toronto Ontario. Had a student planning a cross country trip towing a camper so I was towing my Hawk GT for the demonstrations. I was actually getting a knee down while towing. Just remember I do not recommend this at home or on the street! It is nice to have the tools in your toolbox though.

....And they say Vmax's don't handle well!!!!  Hmmmm.

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »

LIES, ALL LIES I tell you!!!!
David
National Rider Training

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »

LIES, ALL LIES I tell you!!!!
Its the rider, not the bike ;)

I've had guys ride circles around me on their Gold Wing, FJR, or other big heavy bike while I was on a CBR600 or a VFR. And I've ridden with Quint (qman8) and he can still do that to me on his GS.  I know, rider training would help me :)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »
Knowing and having faith in your machine is also a big part of it.

David
National Rider Training

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »
Knowing and having faith in your machine is also a big part of it.

Once in a while your FAITH is tested! 

Takes a while to build that back up!!!

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
Yup, So true, but as the old saying goes, you have to get back on the horse.

I flipped that trailer once and it slid around and pulled the back of the bike out from under me. Once I get everything back right side up and inspected the damage, I got back in the saddle and went right back to finding what the limits were.

David
National Rider Training

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
That  , is just such a cool photo! 8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:19:21 PM by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713