Author Topic: Hello... hello!! Is this thing ON?  (Read 17174 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Hello... hello!! Is this thing ON?
« on: February 03, 2018, 01:26:28 PM »
Hmm... Does anyone actually use/check this?

Where is our State Director?

What's happening in North Carolina?

Is anything happening in North Carolina?

2018 Big Lynn Lodge Ride is happening! Go see... what's happening in the SE region... http://msta-se.com/

:trink39:
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Hello... hello!! Is this thing ON?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
If you look at the dates/times for the latest posts, the Forum often goes several days without any new stuff. 

A lot of the state groups have their own Facebook page so that further reduced traffic on the Forum.  OH is one of those with a Facebook page but it doesn't see much traffic. 

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
If you look at the dates/times for the latest posts, the Forum often goes several days without any new stuff. 

A lot of the state groups have their own Facebook page so that further reduced traffic on the Forum.  OH is one of those with a Facebook page but it doesn't see much traffic.
1500 or so total members and maybe 50% enjoy using a computer.  What would you expect? 
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 05:07:38 AM »
Of that 50%, I'd guess at least half or more are merely "lurkers" and don't add content, unless something happens to press their hot button! 

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »
Hard to compete with FB. We have had 65 members online over the last 5 days. About a 3rd of those have never posted.
Many of the state and event child boards  have no new content for  months if not years. Any suggestions?
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Hello... hello!! Is this thing ON?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:43:51 AM »
After Van (FL State Dir) posts the Florida events on the MSTA Florida website I cross post to both FB and to this forum. We often get members visiting the Sunshine State so we get the word out the best we can. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
After Van (FL State Dir) posts the Florida events on the MSTA Florida website I cross post to both FB and to this forum. We often get members visiting the Sunshine State so we get the word out the best we can. -JEP-

I'm not a fan of Facebook at all but I know it isn't going away so why can't ALL MSTA related info cross post  to the forum? 
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »

I'm not a fan of Facebook at all but I know it isn't going away so why can't ALL MSTA related info cross post  to the forum? 
I currently have the STAR 18 FB page feeding to the website as a way of keeping fresh content there and promoting STAR. I am pondering on your suggestion. If we do this would you then avoid FB and spend more time on the forum? I have a fear that if we do that everyone will just post on FB and not here.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
I check this website pretty much daily.  I like the fact that I can see the entire thread vs that crap you get on FB.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »
Agreed. I feel like I have no control of my facebook experience. It seems to work differently every time I visit and half the time it shows me stuff I don't want to see and I can't find what I want to see.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »
Agreed. I feel like I have no control of my facebook experience. It seems to work differently every time I visit and half the time it shows me stuff I don't want to see and I can't find what I want to see.

I agree 100%! I always have trouble with fb. It is surprising to me that those that normally don't use computers would gravitate to fb when they do. I don' t get it. (I guess 'cause I'm old?)
So much easier to find and enjoy stuff that's organized into different threads. I can find things I'm looking for on a forum. On fb it seems to be just one long thread that hops from subject to subject.
In the past I've tried to add content here but (like my wife says  :-[ ) I just don't have that much to offer.  :'(
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
Facebook is linear so what’s posted today is difficult to find next week that’s why I prefer the forum. -JEP-

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of FB, and I agree the interface and behavior is confusing and unpredictable.

However, if you're a member of a FB group, there's a feed called "Shortcuts" on the left side that lists the groups you're in. If you click "Edit" next to Shortcuts, you can change the listing for a particular group from "Automatic" to "Pin to top", which will keep that one in the visible feed. Then you can click on the group name in the Shortcuts feed, and go to that group's feed. Looking at the group's feed will usually make it easier to find something you're looking for.

You can also just type the group's name in the FB search bar at the top and then click on the group to go to its feed.

I do personally prefer the forum, but there's a lot in the FB stuff that doesn't show up here. I think some people go to FB by default because it's not only where MSTA is, but basically everybody else they know. They'd rather stick with one thing than deal with multiple paths to information, for whatever reason. If I'm going to try to be sociable (those of you who know me, know I'm not very good at it), I guess I have to deal with how other folks operate. That said, I'm still a dinosaur with no instagram or snapchat.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
FB is a different animal with a different purpose.  It’s aim has always been to bring INSTANT gratification to its users by making the sharing of CURRENT events quick and easy.  It is designed for MOBILE use primarily.

However, it does have some uses that are more long term in scope.  The ability to set up a separate page that is dedicated to one event....like STAR....makes the sharing of information pertaining to that one single thing very easy and organized. 

The ability to set up Events that are linked to individual groups, and use those to get a head count on people interested in, or going to, an event is very helpful to event organizers.  It also allows easy promotion of an event to large groups of people, literally into the millions of people. 

It is also a very easy platform to use and the software they use is very intuitive for us non-computer people.  Unlike setting up a website/forum, there is NO COST and it doesn’t take any computer knowledge to set up a page, a group, or an event.

I plan to do a seminar at STAR that will be set up to help people negotiate both this forum and the MSTA FB page.  MSTA social media for Dummies....taught by a computer moron.  😁

not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
Pat has the right idea! It seems to me, and I’m old and out of touch, that the rest of you who complained about Facebook are linear computer literate. And proficient in many computer programs. I on the other had use computers just enough to forget how a program works the next time I try to use it. So because of my infrequent use programs are frustrating to me.
FB is none of that,to me, and to my way of thinking works this way... the more I like or share or comment on something the more I will see it and other similar postings. Read but don’t do anything... no like, no share, no comment and that post, thread and similar post will not show up on my feed. I can like Bryan say do a search and bring up something I want (that should count as a like too)
So you computer literate types are actually fighting Facebook.
I like and us and see value in both.
Pat your seminar at STAR sounds very appropriate.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650