Author Topic: On the way to STAR 2018  (Read 13086 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
On the way to STAR 2018
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: On the way to STAR 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »
It’s all in the timing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
Rd. America is a awesome track for viewing and racing.  I have never been there for a cycle race, but at least once a year for over 35 years, for car races, as spectator, crew or staff for pro racing.  Also drove my wife, Denise's '06 Mustang GT for a few parade laps, non-racing they called it, but we did hit over 130mph down the back straight and then hard braking to make turn 5.  Had to keep the Camaro behind me, he wanted to pass, and no passing was allowed.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
Had to keep the Camaro behind me, he wanted to pass, and no passing was allowed.
Well, rules are rules.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:16:46 PM »
Had to keep the Camaro behind me, he wanted to pass, and no passing was allowed.
Well, rules are rules.

I know now I’m getting older... it used to bother me to get passed by a car. I don’t think I’m any slower than I was but frankly I’d rather have that car in front of me. That being said... a lot of my thinking is because there are too many for who road rage is a daily way of life. I don’t need any of that. My thinking... y’all just go on ahead and perhaps you’ll find that officer in waiting. Then I can ride past and wave... politely of course.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »
I was droning down a nearby interstate Monday of this week going a speed that pretty closely matched the prevailing speed of surround cars in the left and middle lanes (right lane slightly slower) but not necessarily staying below the posted 55 mph speed limit. In the middle lane, I was very gradually creeping up on a blacked out Dodge Charger when the thought passed through my head that this could be an "unmarked" cop car (unmarked being no visible lights, antenna, but with a standard license plate, etc....a black Dodge Charger "IS" marked) The windows were darkened to the point that you couldn't see in from the side or rear. I decided to relax my pace just a bit.

Less than a minute later an out-of-state vehicle in the left lane passed me going not more than single digit mph faster than me. But I guess that little bit of speed, being out-of-state, and whatever other criteria the po po was using, prompted this "unmarked" car to light up this guy.

I agree with what Brick said; let someone else pass and be the cop magnet. In thinking back to most of the tickets I've received in my life (I've gotten a few, but not too many), I was generally out in the open where there was no one who could pass me and be the magnet. There's no guarantee you won't get picked out of a string of cars for a citation, but I think the odds are lower if you are embedded in the traffic mix rather than standing out by your actions. Naturally, YMMV, and every situation is different.

Back to the topic of this thread, I agree with Jim regarding the Vintage Motofest. We've got a good group of vintage enthusiasts in Knoxville (I try to be one, but most of my bikes are just "old"...not collectible).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:09:18 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »
Well, rules are rules.

I know now I’m getting older... it used to bother me to get passed by a car. I don’t think I’m any slower than I was but frankly I’d rather have that car in front of me. That being said... a lot of my thinking is because there are too many for who road rage is a daily way of life. I don’t need any of that. My thinking... y’all just go on ahead and perhaps you’ll find that officer in waiting. Then I can ride past and wave... politely of course.

This occured on a track, there would be no officer waiting to write a ticket. ;) But if its anything like Mid-Ohio not following orders during a spectator lap event will get you in trouble, saw a guy peeling rubber on the track once during one and a marshall called him out.

Speaking of Road America, they hae 2 other events in close proximity to start, first is MotoAmerica (the old American road racing) on June 1-3,the weekend before store. Second is an Indy Car race 2 weeks after STAR, so if you've got some extra time to kill, and riding in the area and always wanted to go to Road America you have some options. Don't think that will work for me, I need to be back at work a few days after STAR ends, maybe MotoAmerica before.

PS  Geoffrey calling police po po? Anybody else find that odd?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:38:40 PM by stevegrab »
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:48:41 PM »
PO PO, well that is better than some names that my Uncle George the Sheriff said he was called.  Especially back in the early 70's when college students decided to protest Vietnam and sat on the bridge crossing the MN River and block all traffic.   Can you imagine protesting and sitting down on a bridge in Minnesota??  Even if it was summer.  Must have been all the out-of-state students, as MN students would not do that.   :D
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
I generally try to avoid popular abbreviations of common terms, but I happen to like po po. I just did a Google search on the term and...

Police officers that patrol certain beaches on bikes wore a vest that said PO in huge blockletters on each of their chest. which means Police Officer. they usually ride around in group of two's. When you see them coming by, you see the word "PO" "PO" when they stand next to each other.

I find that rather amusing.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 04:53:55 PM »
So as you are riding to La Crosse in June, obey the laws, or you may have PO PO PO K9 pulling you over.  When you have three, that means you are real bad and dangerous, which we have have seen many times in Wisconsin, especially with if coming from Chicago.  Many of their cars have a K9 in the car for drugs.

As our sons would say when younger, "Bad Boys, Bad Boys, what ya gonna do when they come looking for you." :-[

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
I generally try to avoid popular abbreviations of common terms, but I happen to like po po. I just did a Google search on the term and...

Police officers that patrol certain beaches on bikes wore a vest that said PO in huge blockletters on each of their chest. which means Police Officer. they usually ride around in group of two's. When you see them coming by, you see the word "PO" "PO" when they stand next to each other.

I find that rather amusing.
Its a term I've heard used mostly by urban city youths, gang bangers and such. Hardly how I think of you:) Digging a bit more I see the info you posted on its origin, and that slang term originated with California Asian gangs. It later spread nationwide and some think it has origins with African Americans.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »
Next thing you know, many of the kids that popularized Facebook will abandon it because their parents and grandparents have started using it.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 05:50:50 AM »
This may be drifting perilously close to becoming a politic discussion.  :-(

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 06:46:48 AM »
Next thing you know, many of the kids that popularized Facebook will abandon it because their parents and grandparents have started using it.

That is already happening.....the group of FB users that is seeing the greatest growth are those people that are 55 and older!  Younger people are moving to Snapchat and tinder, where their posts disappear quickly and are generally not seen by parents and other adults.

The media and politicians seem to be drawn to Twitter......opps!  Is that a political statement?  😜.   I don’t make political statements.  I live in Kentucky!  We have HONEST politicians here!  Once they are bought , they stay bought!   Vote early and vote often!   😂
not all that wander are lost

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
In my day, we called them The Fuzz. It was good enough for me! Dang kids.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere