Author Topic: A new touring Jacket for Tom...  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Biggs

• MSTA Member
  • "I yam what I yam."
  • Lifetime Mileage: 85,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Triumph Tiger 1050SE
A new touring Jacket for Tom...
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »
Hey MSTA folk!
I'm looking to replace my First Gear Kathmandu touring jacket (9 years old). The water proofing has worn out and nothing I've done seems to bring it back... :'(
Looking for something for 3 1/2 season wear, well vented, waterproof but breathable, windproof from cold snowy breezes [size=78%](especially up front zippers)[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%], removable insulation, and allows me to look my best....[/size]

Any suggestions, people of the road.

Biggs
Biggs

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: A new touring Jacket for Tom...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
That last point is a mighty big order!  :-)

Tosh

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »
I too have a Kathmandu jacket....
Just bought this at the International Motorcycle show for $215+tax.....
http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/transition_series_4/116/632

Seems pretty good so far....just worn on bike twice.  haven't tried it in rain yet.  So far I like it WAY better than the Kathmandu  jacket.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:55:17 PM »
I got an AGVsport Telluride jacket, and matching pants.  Haven't been rained on yet, but I am extremely happy with it in cold/cool weather.  I think it will be to warm to wear during he summer, but I bought it for winter/wet riding conditions anyway.
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »

Seems pretty good so far....just worn on bike twice.  haven't tried it in rain yet.  So far I like it WAY better than the Kathmandu  jacket.
Wow I'm jealous you been out riding in your new jacket already? Roads were too salty up here, and I was way busy the past 2 weekends. Glad you're liking it, my last Tourmster held up pertty good (6 seasons, 50-60K miles), the sun out west on 3 long trips sure did dull the red color.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:34:48 AM »

Wow I'm jealous you been out riding in your new jacket already? Roads were too salty up here, and I was way busy the past 2 weekends. Glad you're liking it, my last Tourmster held up pertty good (6 seasons, 50-60K miles), the sun out west on 3 long trips sure did dull the red color.

I'm sure the hi viz color will fade quicker than we want it to.  I wonder if something like THIS will significantly extend the color fastness..
http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:53 AM »
Gold Eagle is sold at Auto Parts stores.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
I saw this jacket at AIM Expo had had Santa deliver it.
So far it seems to work well. I've ridden in 85 degree and 45 degree temperatures and it was more than comfortable in that zone.
Below is the Revzilla link. -JEP-
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-motoquest-jacket

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
So far it seems to work well. I've ridden in 85 degree and 45 degree temperatures and it was more than comfortable in that zone.

That had better be a REALLY nice jacket for $549!!!

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
RKA Luggage suggest using 303 to help to keep your tank bag from fading from the black to a gray. I have some probably need to use it more. I think it will help.

I'm sure the hi viz color will fade quicker than we want it to.  I wonder if something like THIS will significantly extend the color fastness..
http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
I have always been a long time fan of First Gear. They have absolutely the best service on their products. My first year of ownership of a Kilimanjaro jacket (10 years ago)  I burned a hole in the sleeve. Totally my fault for carelessly throwing jacket over bike and sleeve contacting the exhaust muffler. They had me send the jacket back (I paid postage one way only) they repaired the sleeve (you could not tell it was repaired) and sent it back to me their cost. How's that for service!! Well that jacket lasted over ten years of hard wear, rain storms, dust bowls, below freezing temps it went through everything. Two years ago it started to not be waterproof no matter that I had put it in a commercial washing machine by it self totally cleaned and water proofed twice it just was worn out.

I ordered a Hi Viz Lime colored with black accents Kilimanjaro last fall. I like the construction, no longer does it have the zipper across the shoulder for ventilation but now two vertical rubberized waterproof zippers vertical on each shoulder area and a massive amounts of pockets.

Sure there's a step up in Aetostitch and Klim, but for the money invested (and it's a lot less)  it's a sound, quality jacket backed up by a company that provides excellent service!
I would highly recommend First Gear products.

BTW the Hi Viz Lime can show the dirt easily
Wardie

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »

That had better be a REALLY nice jacket for $549!!!

A Stitch costs $577 ..........yes there are cheaper ones but looks like Tom wears his a while. -JEP-

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
I have always been a long time fan of First Gear. They have absolutely the best service on their products. My first year of ownership of a Kilimanjaro jacket (10 years ago)  I burned a hole in the sleeve. Totally my fault for carelessly throwing jacket over bike and sleeve contacting the exhaust muffler. They had me send the jacket back (I paid postage one way only) they repaired the sleeve (you could not tell it was repaired) and sent it back to me their cost. How's that for service!! Well that jacket lasted over ten years of hard wear, rain storms, dust bowls, below freezing temps it went through everything. Two years ago it started to not be waterproof no matter that I had put it in a commercial washing machine by it self totally cleaned and water proofed twice it just was worn out.

I ordered a Hi Viz Lime colored with black accents Kilimanjaro last fall. I like the construction, no longer does it have the zipper across the shoulder for ventilation but now two vertical rubberized waterproof zippers vertical on each shoulder area and a massive amounts of pockets.

Sure there's a step up in Aetostitch and Klim, but for the money invested (and it's a lot less)  it's a sound, quality jacket backed up by a company that provides excellent service!
I would highly recommend First Gear products.

BTW the Hi Viz Lime can show the dirt easily
Looks like you and I differ on a few things Wardie:
I just bought my Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket less than 2 years ago.  I actually started with a Kilimanjaro I picked up at Iron pony (Columbus, OH).  After wearing the Kil. home, I took it back the next day.  I felt it was pretty flimsy, flapped a lot in the wind, didn't zip well, and was not satisfied in general. I traded it up to the Kathmandu and have the following comments;  Not very waterproof.  The snap at the neckline wouldn't stay snapped, or tight in its sliding mechanism.  The zipper did not go all the way up to the neck and left a hole for cold and water to get in at your lower neck.  Every time you take the jacket off, the lining pulls out, because there is a really poor single snap mechanism to hold in the liner at the sleeves.  "Waterproof" pockets are not so much.  The liner would come out past the sleeves when putting it on, due to previously mentioned attachment method...which makes it difficult to put your gloves on with all this material piling up around your wrist.  This jacket was not cheap, and I feel the value for cost was pretty low.  One of the things I liked about it before purchase is the nylon shell construction.  Now im not so sure that's really much of a benefit....its very thin and somewhat fragile...and really isn't waterproof (there is no other layer in the jacket for waterproofing).  I definitely was much happier with my previous jacket, a Roadgear Xtreme.  I will say that the Kathmandu is light, so it is more comfy in warmer weather.   

Offline Biggs

• MSTA Member
  • "I yam what I yam."
  • Lifetime Mileage: 85,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Triumph Tiger 1050SE
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
PS
Do you think Hi Vis will make me look fat?
Biggs

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
Yes