Author Topic: What new riding suit to get?  (Read 16832 times)

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 09 Concours 14
What new riding suit to get?
« on: November 01, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
I did a search and didn't find this topic since 2014. 

I'm on my second two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit in 35 years.  The first lasted about 20 years until I out grew it, and the second is now 17 years old and getting very old and faded, plus I've burned a hole in the right leg on a hot exhaust.  Both suits were red with black ballistics, and both greatly faded. 

I'm now considering a replacement suit, probably an Aerostich again, but I'm open to other ideas in the same price range.  I could get another two piece Roadcrafter but I'm considering the Darien jacket and pants.  I like two piece suits because of their versatility. 

Has anyone had both suits and can give thoughts and advice?  I like to wear riding suits over street clothes.  Any other manufacturer offer something similar in price and versatility? 

thanks, Lee
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: What new riding suit to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »

I'm on my second two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit in 35 years.  The first lasted about 20 years until I out grew it, and the second is now 17 years old and getting very old and faded, plus I've burned a hole in the right leg on a hot exhaust.  Both suits were red with black ballistics, and both greatly faded. 

I'm now considering a replacement suit, probably an Aerostich again, but I'm open to other ideas in the same price range.  I could get another two piece Roadcrafter but I'm considering the Darien jacket and pants.  I like two piece suits because of their versatility. 

Has anyone had both suits and can give thoughts and advice?  I like to wear riding suits over street clothes.  Any other manufacturer offer something similar in price and versatility? 

thanks, Lee
I have had a 1-piece Roadcrafter, a 2-piece Roadcrafter, and a Darien. So far, I consider the Darien to the be the most versatile gear of all. The jacket works fine with either the fleece liner or with no liner. The pants are lighter and even easier to get in and out of than the Roadcrafter. It's what I wore going to Alaska, and I can't imagine anything any better.
If I had to pick which Roadcrafter I like the best, it would be the 2-piece. My first Roadcrafter was a 2-piece and I currently have a hi-viz yellow 1-piece and a solid black 1-piece. I like the 2-piece better.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:42:19 AM »
It's pretty hard to beat the durability of Aerostich and even harder to find a manufacturer that offers repair services - regardless of the age of the garment.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 05:58:18 AM »
Even though I don't have a 'Stich, and have been pleased with my other gear (Olympia and AGV), Aerostich has always been considered the "gold standard" of riding gear by virtually everyone I know.  I can't imagine a better or more durable suit.  The ONLY thing that appears to be in the same class is the KLIM gear that has become so popular with the ADV crowd.  But I don't know anyone that has a lot of experience with it, especially long term, and I haven't seen much of it up close either.   Have no idea about their ability to custom tailor it or repair it.  So hard for me to have an opinion on KLIM as an alternative.  I tend to be in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd, and if you've been happy with the Aerostich products you've used, think you've gotten good value, and can afford a new one, I would probably recommend doing just that.  Good luck with your search.  Pat M
not all that wander are lost

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:31:31 AM »

thanks, Lee
I have had a 1-piece Roadcrafter, a 2-piece Roadcrafter, and a Darien. So far, I consider the Darien to the be the most versatile gear of all. The jacket works fine with either the fleece liner or with no liner. The pants are lighter and even easier to get in and out of than the Roadcrafter. It's what I wore going to Alaska, and I can't imagine anything any better.
If I had to pick which Roadcrafter I like the best, it would be the 2-piece. My first Roadcrafter was a 2-piece and I currently have a hi-viz yellow 1-piece and a solid black 1-piece. I like the 2-piece better.

Hi Geoffrey!  So the Darien and pants are better than the Roadcrafter for street use in your experience?  Is the Darien setup more waterproof than the Roadcrafter? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:34:32 AM by 1997VFR »
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »
Good points. 
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline GlibGuy

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Suzuki DL650
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »
Been wearing KLIM goretex for a couple of years.  The "picks" for me are:  1) it is absolutely waterproof, 2) it is very well vented.  The "pans":  1) it stains easily (mine is light colored), 2) it's too darn expensive.

Mick
2019 Tracer GT 900, 2009 DL650, 2020 Husqvarna 501
33 states and Mexico

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »
I had a 2 piece Roadcrafter, then the normal Darien jacket and pants and now the Darien Light, hi Viz jacket and the Darien AD1 pants. The AD1 have features that make them my favorite over the regular Darien pants. The Darien Light jacket is a late model (2012) that features magnets in the collar that are helpful in securing collar flaps in either the open or closed position and it has sleeve cinch straps. I find that this combo is both 100% waterproof and comfortable in all weather conditions. In cooler weather, I use a Tourmaster 2.0 heated jacket liner under the jacket, so I didn't order the standard Aerostich liner.

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
Do the standard Darien pants and AD1 pants fit well over jeans? 
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
Since I'm leaning toward the Darien suit I'm wondering about the new Darien "light" jacket and pants, if this "light" version would be beneficial?
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 02:18:37 PM »
Maybe this should be worn UNDER another suit.  :-)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/fleece-one-piece-suit/review.htm

Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
Cute!  I'd leave my suit on! 
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
Do the standard Darien pants and AD1 pants fit well over jeans? 

Yes, they both fit over jeans. The AD1 may be less baggy looking than the standards. The AD1's also feature velcro closures over the front pockets, so everything doesn't fall out if you hang them over a chair ,etc when you take them off. One feature I really like is the additional pocket below the regular front pocket that is waterproof and has a velcro flap. I keep my wallet in that pocket and it makes it very easy to retrieve and replace my wallet at gas stops.

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/ad1/ad1-motorcycle-pants.html

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the AD1 pants.  They look great.
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14