Author Topic: 2017 TriStar Event  (Read 26750 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: 2017 TriStar Event
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
Sorry to hear so many rooms were canceled at the last minute which probably did prevent others from being able to attend. Didn't realize Tri-STAR had gotten so popular that we were running out of rooms.

As I said I try not to do that, and of course others should not either. Providing them help (tools) to make better decisions is great. But I wonder how many of them are here, or would care or take the advice.

Only thing that probably solves this is going to a structure like STAR, where you cannot get a room until you register for the event. But I doubt any event organizers want that extra complication.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
Sorry to hear so many rooms were canceled at the last minute which probably did prevent others from being able to attend. Didn't realize Tri-STAR had gotten so popular that we were running out of rooms.

As I said I try not to do that, and of course others should not either. Providing them help (tools) to make better decisions is great. But I wonder how many of them are here, or would care or take the advice.

Only thing that probably solves this is going to a structure like STAR, where you cannot get a room until you register for the event. But I doubt any event organizers want that extra complication.

True, the people who most need to hear this discussion probably won't. In a related matter, Brick had to plead with people to send in their registrations for Big Lynn Lodge- the hotel was all booked up for months and only a few had sent in their registrations. Are people booking rooms but waiting till the last minute to register for the event? I hope not.

To be fair about the BLL situation, the hotel is closed during the winter and only started taking reservations on a certain date (Feb or Mar 15 as I recall?). The problem for event registration was that Brick didn't have it set up yet. People need to be able to do both event registration and hotel reservation at the same time, while they are thinking about it.

I think that for popular events where hotel space sells out, we designate them as "flagship events" or whatever, and require online registration. Only after you register do you get a discount code for the hotel in the email confirmation of the registration, like we do with STAR.

Norm Kern

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
Re: the Big Lynn Lodge Ride 2017.
In past years as members checked out from the previous year they reserved a room for the next year. This meant that no new members could reserve a room to attend the Big Lynn Lodge Ride event. I got lots of complaints! So for 2017 I set it up with the Big Lynn Lodge that no one could reserve a room while leaving the 2016 event. I would open registration at a date after the first of the year. This date was to be announced at the same time in STAReview, on the web page forum and in an email blast to past attendees. Well all that coordination proved to be impossible! (Ok... I'm a dreamer I thought I could do that) The release announcements were not too far apart. We will see this year how it worked.
Regarding event registrations... I still only have about 6 registrations but of course the Big Lynn Lodge is sold out.
Note: this is not as bad for my event because I don't have to purchase the food since it's provided and included with your Big Lynn Lodge room payment! (Members staying at one of the overflow hotels can eat with us by pre-paying the Big Lynn for the meals they want)
So each event is a bit different. Mine is super easy for me. The only real problem is the limiting number of rooms available.
Note: in past years the Big Lynn Lodge bought and provided free of charge event t-shirts. This will not happen this year because of a large increase in food costs!
We will still have the Alligators Blues band Friday night. And Ann Marie LaFrance will be providing free chair massages Friday upon your arrival and Saturday after your ride. She will also do a stretch for the ride session Saturday AM. Added this year Ann Marie has open times in her Morganton office for full hour sessions. You must call ahead to reserve your time and discounted rate. Note Ann Marie does deep tissue massage and so much more. Treat yourself call asap (828) 432-2008 for your session!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
Brick I applaud your efforts in handling that situation with BLL, I haven't attended yet but would like to one year. After hearing how rooms were always gone so early (right after the event almost) I wondered if I should try. But that's what happens when you make it so fun and enjoyable.

However having all the rooms booked, and almost nobody registered is not just fair to you. I almost always get my registration in within a few days of booking the room. Even if the form wasn't available when they made their reservation they need to follow-up later.

The joys of being an event organizer...
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Iguana Joe

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860K plus
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW R1200RT
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
At TRIStar, as well as other events where we have a really good relationship with the hotel, many folks do go ahead and reserve again as they are checking out. During my years as TRIStar coordinator The Alleghany Inn would give a nights stay as a door prize. We have had the hotel sold out on several occasions and as it happens in the spring, weather has caused folks to cancel. I have had to book a room elsewhere ( Galax VA) because of this. Right now I am unable to Coordinate or even attend TRIStar because Graduation is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend (Many thanks to Catfish Greene for stepping in and doing such a great job!)

However the Big Lynn Lodge event has regularly filled the hotel, there was an occasion year before last where the room Anita and I had stayed was booked before I had the chance to book it while checking out... That situation got straightened out but this years "registration" literally sold out the hotel in less than 3 hours. It opened in the morning and I finally got through 2 1/2 hours later to find there were 3 rooms left. These were down in the "bunkhouse". Since I knew that many folks wanted to attend for the first time, Anita and I will not be attending this year. We may try to come by and visit. I have talked also with the Owner of the BLL about maybe setting up another weekend event if there would be interest. Maybe in the late spring after the Helen event, or possibly towards the Fall before Syd's Fall Colors Event.

If anyone would like to see this happen please email or message me here, or catch up with me at STAR and lets chat!!!
Iggy Joe
AMA lifer
MSTA 5409 (lifer) NC State Director, EC State Director Liaison
IBA, PGR, former COG, etc.

Never try to teach a pig to whistle, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2017, 09:26:37 PM »
Joe I too have had discussions with Hoyt regarding perhaps a JFF non-event. Of course he would love to fill the BLL for another weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »
Read the title

This is a TriStar subject and you're hijacking it with other stuff.

If you want to discuss Big Llyn Lodge star a New thread

Doug
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/