Author Topic: Product Reviews - AEROstich Armor Upgrade  (Read 5586 times)

VersysRider

Product Reviews - AEROstich Armor Upgrade
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »
Nicky Zarras | Managing Editor

In the old days when I wanted to upgrade my armor I would take off the off-the-road strap on armor and sew it into my ballistic jacket and ballistic pants. But now manufacturers are designing their lines of wearable gear with high level armor included and with optional upgrades. I have had the pleasure of featuring (STAReview 3204) and doing a long term test on the AE ROstich Stealth Roadcrafter One Piece Suit. It is a top of the line quality unit that has plenty of pockets. You can remove it and store it in a side hard case bag when you stop to eat. The 500 Denier Cordura Gore-Tex outer fabric is not only water proof but has earned the respect of those who have survived the possibility of severe road rash at reported speeds up to 80 mph, and greater in some cases. It comes with standard TF3 armor in the knees, hips, elbow, and shoulder.

Hard Shell TF6 Replacement Pad Set

But what is TF armor. It is an energy absorbing viscoelastic material that is softer during normal riding but becomes harder and more resistant the faster and harder it is impacted. The oversize TF Armor’s pad shapes were designed more than ten years before CE standards existed, so although they are not CE endorsed, their impact energy absorbing qualities always test well above CE certification minimums. The various TF numbers indicate increasing energy absorbing performance. The ‘softest’ most comfortable version is TF2. TF3 is a little stiffer but still quite comfortable. It is the standard included with all Aerostich garments. TF6 is the newest and firmest version, and is noticeably stiff in general wear, but provides the most impact protection.. All Aerostich armor can be installed in non-Aerostich products.

Riders love to upgrade their gear. Regarding protection, nothing is too good for your body. I always say “Replacing Armor is Cheaper than Replacing Skin”. So I wanted to upgrade everything.

Aerostitch has a Hard Shell TF6 Replacement Pad Set (shown at right) to the Transit Pads. The new armor is massive with thick padding behind it. It is a direct replacement for the TF3 stock armor. They come in small, medium and large. They are a steal at $15 each.

I also wanted to add a chest protector and back pad. Aerostitch has a TF5 Transit Back Pad (shown at lower right) that is massive. It conveniently slides into the Transit Back Pad Adapter Sleeve and easily Velcro’s onto the inside of your suit so you don’t have to wear a separate harness. It provides protection from the top of your cervical spine down to the base of your lumbar spine. This is serious protection. It is very thick and looks like it could take a very long slide on your back at high speed. It provides additional back support, and tends to insulate the spinal area from the cold. For those heading to the track they also have an Aerostich TF3 Competition Back Pad available that provides wider back protection for just $20 more.

Another upgrade is the dual-layer Aerostich Chest Impact Pad #238 (shown at lower right). It provides strong protection of the chest vital areas. It can be Velcro’s to the suit or worn with a strap. It can then be removed separately and put in a side case. I took some hits from flying wildlife at speed and I can swear by it.

Aerostitch has been a leader in top quality Made in the USA riding gear handmade in Duluth, MN, USA since 1983. They stand behind their product line and also provide top quality repair to your riding gear. Their website is Aerostich.com. To read about their interesting history check out their website.

TF5 Transit Back Pad

Chest Impact Pad #238

Ride Safe my friend... Clear skies, clear roads....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:37:27 PM by VersysRider »