• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
Irma
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
Stacie and I flew to Key West on Sunday for a week in the tropical paradise. We knew Irma was out there in the Atlantic but were sure we would be back home before she became a threat. We were in a great B&B a block from Duval St and had a great time Sunday evening and Monday. By Monday night we knew we'd have to cut it short. I was able to change our flight out from Saturday to Thursday. I felt  we were in good shape at that point although Stacie was a bit worried. We rented scooters Tuesday and bombed around the island seeing the sights. After lunch at Sloppy Joe's we returned to the B&B to park the scooters so we could do some bar hopping. It was then the B&B manager told us about the announced mandatory evacuation and that the airport was closing at 6 pm Wednesday. We hopped back on the scooters and rode to the airport. Delta, nor the other two airlines had any seats. Same story at Greyhound and there were no rental cars left.

Stacie started looking for tall buildings and even suggested we steal a car! 

We had used Uber for the first time to get from the airport to our B&B Sunday and it worked like a charm. So I pulled out my phone and pressed the Uber icon. It asks for a destination and I just entered Dade County. Two minutes later Stanley arrives in his  SUV. He is a 24 y/o immigrant from Haiti. He did not know where  Dade County was and asked me to type in a more specific address. So I entered Miami International Airport. He said: "No problem, but I need to go by my girlfriends work and give her the apartment key so she can get in when she gets off work.  That done, we headed for the mainland at a little after 7 pm. Three hours, 160.93 miles and $349.72  later we were at a Choice Suites a mile from the Airport. There were no flight available out of Miami either so using Orbitz I reserved a Hundai Elantra for Wednesday morning at 9. I 75 was already bumper to bumper but Jim Parks guided onto US 27 which was mostly free flowing and we  made it to Tallahassee about 10 pm. Had a late night pizza dinner then drove home on Thursday. Key West is a cool place but don't go there during hurricane season!

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
We're all glad you made it out. Some won't.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:52 PM »
A lot of Key West residents do not own cars. The managers of our b&b are gonna try to ride it out. Jim and Diane Park are hunkered down in West Palm.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:11:27 AM »
I've got a brother in Palmetto, and several close friends in the Tampa area that are all planning on staying.  Saw LOTS of cars on I-65 between Nashville and Louisville yesterday with Florida plates, all heading north. 
not all that wander are lost

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
I've been thinking of our Florida and Texas members (and everyone else) through all this and wishing them the best.
We may complain about tornados in the midwest but you can have the hurricanes!!! Batten down the hatches and stay safe.  TM

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »
Glad you guys got home safely, wish we could have helped more.
West Palm Beach is looking better but we are still watching the path of Irma closely. We will be getting Cat 1 winds (70-90 MPH) but over a sustained 36 hour period!
We are completely boarded up, thinking about growing mushrooms in the house.
We did a grocery and beer run yesterday (everything is closed now till Monday at best). So just hoping to keep power to watch some football over the weekend but the Dolphins/Bucs game has been postponed until Week 11.
Will keep you guys posted as the storm progresses. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Chappuis

• Flea-bit peanut monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »
Jim, believe me it was a great comfort to have a familiar voice to talk to who at least had suggestions and encouragement to offer instead of sorry, we can't help you. And I am pretty sure your suggestion to take US 27 all the way to Tallahassee saved us several grueling hours on I-75!. Glad to see the storm may be veering a bit away from West Palm but I fear for our friends who decide to stay on Key West.

Glad you guys got home safely, wish we could have helped more.
West Palm Beach is looking better but we are still watching the path of Irma closely. We will be getting Cat 1 winds (70-90 MPH) but over a sustained 36 hour period!
We are completely boarded up, thinking about growing mushrooms in the house.
We did a grocery and beer run yesterday (everything is closed now till Monday at best). So just hoping to keep power to watch some football over the weekend but the Dolphins/Bucs game has been postponed until Week 11.
Will keep you guys posted as the storm progresses. -JEP-

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
So what did the one way car cost you?  Those are always salty anyway and I can only imagine what they hiked the rate to.  Of course Wednesday morning I'm sure the price was low on the list of priorities.  Glad you made it home safe regardless.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
Total cost was 239 for two days, including insurance, midsize car. Compare to 1000 per head that American Airlines was charging for a flight.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 10:45:55 AM »
That was a deal for sure.  It's looking pretty ugly in FLA today. 
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
Heavy winds started around 6AM today here in West Palm Beach and are predicted to remain until 7PM tonight ranging at 60-80MPH. Power has been intermittent but on for the most part. I looks very bad for people on the west coast. -JEP-

BTW just lost power while typing this!

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »