Author Topic: Entry-Apex-Exit Points - 3303  (Read 1514 times)

VersysRider

Entry-Apex-Exit Points - 3303
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
Nicky Zarras | Managing Editor

The world loves surveys and studies. They provide us some insight into reality that is sometimes ignored. An Australian organization conducted a “Gear Study” on the value of riding gear. They contacted all riders who had an accident injured-or-not, canvased Emergency Rooms and motorcycle crash repair shops for a one year period. Their findings are common knowledge but worth repeating. Riders who wore protective clothing were less likely to be admitted to the hospital and if they wore armor, less likely to have any injuries. Motorcycle jacket wearers were 23% less likely to have any injuries, and 63% less likely to have open wounds. If gloves with body armor were worn they were 45% less likely to have any injuries, and 73% less likely to have any open wounds. Knee protection gave them 39% less chance of any injuries and 91% less likely to have open wounds to their legs. Boots wearers were 45% less likely to have injuries to feet or ankles. So while carrying that heavy armor may seem cumbersome, my punch line saying is “replacing armor is cheaper than replacing skin ©”, and a whole lot less painful.

MSTA Members
In this travel season, check out the participating hotels/motels MSTA lodging discounts in the members-only section at www.rideMSTA.com/mstaforums.

Many new riders wonder what the MSTA staff ride. Starting this issue and continuing in future issues, I showcase a few of the staff members and how they came about choosing their favorite ride. James T. Parks gives us a preview of a scenic area near STAR’14 in “Spearfish Canyon.” Minnesota’s Carl Wiesman provides us key tips on our travel to and around STAR’14. Colorado’s Patrick Coleman gives us a nice travelogue on his “Escape from the Snow Ride”. This issue we feature Kansas’ State Director Roger Smith. This month’s Member Profile is Colorado’s Phil Tarman. This month’s Sweet Ride showcases New Jersey’s Frank Ferrante on his Honda F6B. In Safety Strategies Doug Westly teaches the value of ABS. For those seeking a simple way of riding I have two motorcycles that have automatic transmissions in this issue. In this month’s road test is the Honda CTX700N DCT ABS, a great bike for the new rider, city bound commuter, or older rider who wants to go automatic. The Road Test - Quick Look features another automatic the Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS (Automatic). The product test is the Nelson-Rigg CL2020 GPS Tank Bag, which is tailor made for the sport touring rider with housings for your GPS, phone and water bag.

A special note to send in your raffle tickets for a chance at winning this year’s raffle bike the Yamaha FZ9. The FZ9 has the 847cc in-line 3 cylinder DOHC 12-valve engine (claimed 113 hp and 65 foot/pound torque) and has ride-by-wire YCC-T and Yamaha three throttle control map D-Mode for a strong torque and quick revving engine character. At 414 pounds it is light to maneuver, and at 42.5 mpg easy to live with. The ergonomics will fit a varied amount of riders. Send in your raffle tickets today.

To showcase your stories and events in STAReview, email me your articles, and high resolution photos, with the best in portrait mode. Showcase your treasured 2011-2014 motorcycle (Sweet Rides), or 2006 or older motorcycle (Safe Money). I will provide you full editorial support. The embedded hyperlinks will link you to websites for travel planning information, and bikes and accessories to lust over without leaving your digital copy. I want YOU to be the star in STAReview! So kick back with a cool one and enjoy this issue.

Ride Safe my friend...
Clear skies, clear roads…