Author Topic: Member Profile - Kurt Asplindh  (Read 1473 times)

VersysRider

Member Profile - Kurt Asplindh
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »
[attachment=0][/attachment]

Hometown/State? I grew up in San Leandro Ca. and moved to Las Vegas, NV in 2007.

What was your first motorcycle? My first motorcycle was a 1976 Suzuki RM125. I received it as a 15th birthday present from my parents.

Current motorcycle? I own a 2007 BMW R1200GS. This isn’t your typical stock GS. I have added several bits and pieces over the years, and it’s finally getting to where I like it. It has a custom set of wheels from Woody’s Wheel Works, AltRider protection parts, Machine Art Moto cylinder head covers and front and rear fender extenders, Jesse luggage, Garmin Montana GPS, Clearwater “Erica” and “Darla” Lights. Every “light bulb” has been replaced with LEDs and the headlight has an HID conversion kit. A custom windscreen, saddle by Seat Concepts, Doubletake mirrors, Ohlin’s shocks and ZipTy foot peg extensions make my rides more comfortable.

What is your all-time favorite motorcycle? I don’t know if I have an all-time favorite motorbike, but I have been an Adventure Bike guy since I saw my first Honda Transalp in the late 1980s.

How long have you been riding? I have been riding motorcycles for 37 years.

When did you joined MSTA? I joined the club in April of 2014.

How did you hear about the MSTA? I met Nick Zarras through the local BMW dealership in Las Vegas, Nevada. Nick introduced me to the MSTA.

Who (what) was your biggest influence in motorcycling? In the mid-1980s I discovered the Paris to Dakar Rally and saw Gaston Rahier ride a huge BMW across the desert. Even though it was a race, watching Mr. Rahier ride gave me the desire to travel by motorbike and see the world.

Where are your favorite places to ride? Canada and Alaska were fantastic. I also love riding in the southwest USA. Exploring Death Valley, the California Eastern Sierras and Utah never gets old, for me. I would love to ride my bike in Iceland, someday.

Describe a memorable motorcycle adventure? In 2008 I finally rode a motorcycle to Alaska by myself. It was an amazing ride, an incredible journey. I loved being able to start and stop riding when I wanted. Some days I would ride 200 miles, some days I would ride 500 miles. Some days I would start at 3:00 AM, others days at noon. I would get to an intersection, look at the map and make a decision on which way to go. I really want to ride back to Alaska on different roads and go see things I didn’t see on my first trip.

Best motorcycle advice or tip learned through the years? Good clothing makes all the difference when traveling by motorbike. I use KLIM gear, as it works for me better than anything I have used before. And water proof boots are a must.

What turns you on about motorcycles or riding? Motorcycle riding is like being in a movie, to me. Driving a car is like watching the movie. The temperature differences, the smells, the challenge of fighting the wind or rain, waiting for a flash flood to pass, all make the ride so much more interesting and entertaining. Riding my GS up a hill that might be a bit steep or have loose gravel as a base, is fun. Doing the same thing in a car is just plain boring.

What are your hobbies and interests outside of motorcycling? I enjoy ultralight tackle trout fishing. Photography was my profession for 27 years. Now I take photos for fun. (And my camera gear is a lot lighter.)

[attachment deleted by admin]