Author Topic: Member Profile: Alan and Debbie Smith  (Read 1349 times)

VersysRider

Member Profile: Alan and Debbie Smith
« on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »

MSTA Members Alan and Debbie Smith

Hometown/State? Cincinnati, Ohio

What was your first motorcycle?
Debbie: My first motorcycle was a 1970 Honda CB175.
Alan: My first motorcycle was a 1964 Honda Sport 50.

Current motorcycle(s)?
Debbie: I own a 1993 Honda VFR750, 1997 Honda VFR750, 2003 Honda Super Blackbird and 2009 Triumph Street Triple R.
Alan: I own a 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2000 Honda VFR800, 2010 Honda ST1300, 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 and have ordered a 2014 BMW R1200RT.

What is your all-time favorite motorcycle?
Debbie: That would be my beloved 1983 BMW R80T.
Alan: I think the 2014 BMW S1000RR is gorgeous.

How long have you been riding?
Debbie: I’ve been riding motorcycles for 44 years.
Alan: I’ve been riding motorcycles for 48 years.

When did you join the MSTA?
Debbie: I joined the club in July, 2013.
Alan: I joined the club in March, 2013.

How did you hear about the MSTA? We were introduced to the MSTA by long time member, Tom Bartels.

Who or what was your biggest influence in motorcycling?
Debbie: I got excited about motorcycles during my teen years. A girlfriend’s brother had a blue and white Harley Davidson. My father recognized my growing interest in motorcycles and said, “No motorcycle for you, while you live under my roof.” So I moved out at 21 and bought my first bike. In later life, my inspiration was endurance rider, Fran Crane, a multiple Iron Butt Rally rider and finisher.
Alan: My inspiration was a kid I went to school with named Mike Partin. He raced on ice and dirt tracks and later snagged a factory ride with Harley-Davidson’s race team. More recently, my inspiration has been MSTA member Tom Bartels.

Where are your favorite places to ride?
Debbie: I really enjoy riding in North Carolina and Colorado. I’ll ride pretty much anywhere but Kansas.
Alan: My favorite roads are found in southwest Ohio and eastern Indiana.

Describe a memorable motorcycle adventure?
Debbie: On a trip to Colorado, I got caught in a storm with winds so strong that the rain was coming at me sideways. I bought a motel room and parked my bike on the side stand in an area protected from the wind. In the room I stripped down to skivvies and flip flops, hung up my clothes to drip-dry and turned on the Weather Channel. Moments later the front desk called and said my bike had blown over. I went out to assess the damage and saw that my Givi side bag had kept my bike upright somewhat. A friendly construction worker helped me pick my bike up. The construction worker’s last comment to me was, “You’re the last person I expected to see come out and pick up this bike.” His comment made my day.
Alan: I recall a ride to the BMWMOA Escanaba Rally in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. I battled torrential rain, hydroplaning on the roadway and water up to my BMW Twin’s cylinder heads. I just kept moving forward, slowly, and eventually rode out of the bad weather.

What is the best motorcycle advice or tip learned through the years?
Debbie: Ride like you are invisible.
Alan: Anticipate anything and everything.

What turns you on about motorcycles or riding?
Debbie: I use all my senses when I am riding my motorcycle.
Alan: I love the sense of freedom and being out in the open air, when I ride.

What do you get out of your MSTA membership?
Debbie: I enjoy the friendship and camaraderie that is so common to the MSTA.
Alan: I like the interaction of riders on different brands of motorcycles. (Versus the BMWMOA and its focus on a single manufacturer.)

What are your hobbies and interests outside of motorcycling?
Debbie: I like classic cars. I own a 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente convertible with 34,000 original miles, a 260 cubic inch V-8 engine and 4-speed transmission. I also enjoy sewing & embroidering.
Alan: I too like classic cars. I own a rare 1958 Ford Ranchero.

Offline GlibGuy

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Suzuki DL650
Re: Member Profile: Alan and Debbie Smith
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »
Great couple.  My wife and I got to sit with them at the STAR banquet in Rapid City.  Had a great time talking with them.
Mick
2019 Tracer GT 900, 2009 DL650, 2020 Husqvarna 501
33 states and Mexico