Author Topic: State Director Profile - Doug McPeek  (Read 1176 times)

VersysRider

State Director Profile - Doug McPeek
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
Nick Zarras | Managing Editor

Ohio State Director, Doug "Coach" McPeek

This column is to honor the State Directors whose drive and personality improves the quality of life of their state MSTA members. In this issue, STAReview features Ohio State Director Doug McPeek.

Nick: What prompted you to join the MSTA and how long have you been a member?

Doug: I joined because many of my motorcycling friends were already members. Bryan Dunlap’s CMH-Moto email list was the means by which we all met. I started riding with the gang in 1995. By the time Dave Brickner gave me the ITR in 1998 I was ready to join.

Nick: Tell me about your first bike? What motorcycle do you ride to events now?

Doug: My first bike was a 1978 Honda Hawk Type II CB400T. In 1989 I drove past a house everyday and saw the Hawk on the porch with a for sale sign. It looked cool, and one day I stopped. It had only 1100 miles on it and looked brand new. I rode it for two years before deciding that it was just not a touring bike. I already knew that sport touring was my preference.

Currently I ride a BMW R1200GS and a Suzuki DR650SE, depending on the roads to be ridden. I like the upright seating and the versatility of each bike.

Nick: How long were you a member before you became a State Director and what prompted you to volunteer for the position?

Doug: I was a member 10 years before taking the volunteer position. I was moved to volunteer so that the previous State Director could pursue other interests after serving what had become a customary 5 years.

Nick: What were your goals for your state once you became a State Director?

Doug: My biggest concern was a decline in weekly day-rides. It seems, as we have aged, we have become a group that largely waits for the bigger events to plan most of our riding around. I wanted a planned ride somewhere every weekend.

Nick: What does it take to be a State Director in respect to time and effort?

Doug: I probably spend 15 hours per month on the job, give or take.

Nick: What do you find to be the best way the members can help the State Director?

Doug: The best help is to volunteer for something. Organize a lunch ride or other day ride. Communicate ideas for new activities. Share the load of planning. Contribute content to the newsletter by sharing your experiences or skills. Whatever interests one member will be of interest and benefit to others.

Nick: What is one of your best memories as a State Director?

Doug: It always involves riding and celebrating the ride with my friends and fellow members.

Nick: What one recommendation can you make to MSTA members who are thinking of becoming a State Director, Assistant Director or Co-Director?

Doug: Engage others and give them thanks and credit for their contributions. If those who help you don’t feel appreciated, you will soon
be alone.

From all of us at STAReview and MSTA we thank Doug and his fellow Ohio MSTA member staff for all their efforts at making Ohio a great place to ride.