Author Topic: Sweet Rides - Honda Goldwing F6BD  (Read 1938 times)

VersysRider

Sweet Rides - Honda Goldwing F6BD
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »

By Frank Ferrante | New Jersey

This is my long term report on my Goldwing F6B. To keep this report in a proper perspective I purchased this bike with the intention of this being a long term ride for myself into retirement. Currently I still employed full time and I don’t expect to be putting on some major miles until 2015.

As of January 1, 2014 I have 800 miles on my F6BD. The first service will be at 4000 miles. The MSRP on my F6B Deluxe was $20,999. When you consider the list of extras I purchased and all of the other costs I felt I got a good deal.

Many of my fellow MSTA’ers would look at the minimal miles I have put on this bike so far and question “Why so few.” Living in NJ is more about how much time you can spend on the road vs. the amount of miles you ride. As I pare down work I have bigger riding plans.

I’ve owned many motorcycles over the years and a Valkyrie was one of them. The Valkyrie was one of those bikes I should have never sold. So when Honda introduced the F6B I knew this was the closest I would get to the Valkyrie I once owned.

The F6B is lighter due to the loss of the top box, reverse and oversized saddle. This minor weight loss makes the F6B feel lighter than it’s 842 lbs. I enjoy the short windshield but I installed a 9 inch taller Cee Baily windshield for summer riding taking the wind off chest. I also purchased a Honda tall windshield for winter riding. For additional saddle comfort a Corbin Saddle w/ Passenger Backrest was installed. The stock saddle did not work with my body style. I ran a Garmin GPS Powerlet 60” Lead from the fuse box, under the body panels and up the handlebars to power my Zumo GPS. And for the audio J&M Helmet Headsets. I also installed Kuryakyn Highway Pegs.

My initial reaction when I first rode my F6B was that it was a soft ride that didn’t handle the bumps well. Upon checking my shock I was surprised to see the bike was delivered with the shock at it lowest setting. This was a Honda recommendation. I like a firm ride, setting the shock at firm setting (75%). At this setting the F6B soaks up the NJ potholes and the overall handling has improved. This is a Goldwing and the power is endless. So engine power and performance is satisfying. Fit and finish is good. Some F6B owners have been complaining about the paint coming off the panels when they wax the bike. I haven’t had this problem but I haven’t tried to wax the F6B and I won’t. Honda makes a spray cleaner that should be used on the F6B and on any of their bikes that have plastic panels.

This is by far one of the sweetest rides I have ever owned. My F6B handles better than any other large bike I have ever owned, even better than my Valkyrie. The one thing you have to remember when maneuvering a bike this large is that it doesn’t turn quick. This is a heavy long wheelbase bike. Not your everyday sport bike.

We have had a tough winter here in the Northeast and I have cabin fever. As soon as the roads are clear of the ice and salt I’ll be out riding. Stay tuned, as I will be doing a ride to Canada and will continue my sweet ride report.