Author Topic: OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?  (Read 14361 times)

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
Smart phones are pretty amazing these days. Most, if not all, Androids have a built-in GPS receiver and a mapping application which will navigate over downloaded Google Maps. Historically I have been critical of these because they required a cell phone connection and consumed data. Well, that has now changed.

On one of the motorcycle forums I frequent there was a reference to a new Android application which utilizes free OSM maps. Unlike the built-in mapping app these new applications actually download the maps to phone memory and do not require an active tower connection. They do, of course, require the GPS receiver to be turned on.

I have a retired HTC Incredible which still works but its not on a phone contract. So, I thought I would try one of these new OSM mapping applications on it.

I downloaded from Google Play Store the free version of OsmAnd. The free version limits the number of downloaded maps to 10 so basically with it you can load nine states plus the base map on your phone. There is a Pro version which cost $5.99 and allows unlimited map downloads. OSM maps are available for the entire world so if you are planning to travel to a foreign country it would be a very economical way to obtain GPS functionality.

So, how does it work you ask. Surprisingly well. The user interface is of course different from a standard Garmin GPS but is not difficult to master. I have added a few screens here  to illustrate.
this is the entry screen and provides easy access to a view of the map or two configuration settings.

as you can see a map view places an icon at your current location.

the view can be zoomed in or out using the +/- keys or by using the familiar pinch function on the screen

using this menu you can select a destination a route or manage other setting or configuration functions of the application.

here I have selected a destination and asked the GPS to route me to it.

As you can see it looks very much like a standard Garmin GPS in this mode. The phone does provide voice prompts (in most major languages) for turns and behaves in most ways exactly like a dedicated GPS.

Bottom line, I think Garmin is in big trouble. This thing works amazingly well for a total investment of zero or if you want the Pro version only $5.99. In my opinion the OSM maps are every bit as accurate as Garmin's but do not contain as many POIs. Also, the OSM maps are not indexed for street addresses so if you want to navigate to a street address you need to find the closest intersection. Depending on how one uses the GPS this may or may not be a limitation. Not so much for me but for my wife it would be a negative because she likes to just key in the address of her destination and allow the GPS to navigate to it.

My overall impression is very favorable and it seems that if you want an inexpensive GPS alternative this would be a viable means of getting there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:38:52 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
Re: Garmin alternative?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »
Cool!  Technology is fascinating.  Are you ready to return your new Garmin 64s?   :D ;D
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »
Interesting, but I'll keep my Garmin for loading routes. No one has come up with an alternative to that yet (that I know of).
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
Cool!  Technology is fascinating.  Are you ready to return your new Garmin 64s?   :D ;D
Definitely not. The 64s provides an entirely different level of utility with the ability to manage and navigate tracks, load external routes, waterproofing, and ruggedness. However, for someone who just wants to get their feet wet with GPS this would be a cheap way to do it. For some people it might be all the GPS they need.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
Very interesting... Did you find a way to save a route?

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »

Wait!!! Hold the bus....... Did Jim get a new GPS?????
East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:28:33 AM »
I just looked outside and the sun did come up so Jim is still using his Quest II.   ;D

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »

Yes!
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:15 AM »
I know it's hard to believe but yes, I actually spent $350 on a new 64S and 2015 maps. I MAY have gotten my money's worth out of the Quest,  which, BTW still works but is simply obsolete.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »
Holy Cow Jim, was there a giant sucking sound when the $350 departed?   :D

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
I know it's hard to believe but yes, I actually spent $350 on a new 64S and 2015 maps. I MAY have gotten my money's worth out of the Quest,  which, BTW still works but is simply obsolete.

I think you will really enjoy your new GPS....More functional and a bigger and better screen than the old Quest is never a bad thing....This is probably the model I will end up getting whenever I decide to replace my ancient 276C....
East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 12:14:49 AM »
Ever the champion of the odd, unusual, and CHEAP, I've been fooling around with the same sort of thing that Jim is discovering. I found an app called Co Pilot that is not dependant  upon an internet connection. The app and downloadable maps operate independently of the existing cell signal. It's 2 gigs plus to download all the USA maps, but they can be downloaded in in smaller segments. I've just began to test it out, but I'm very happy so far. I have an old Droid Razr with this app that I believe will be an excellent GPS. Syd :)
Touringman

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
I'm still waiting for an Android GPS app that supports garmin style GPX files with multi-waypoint and via point routes. Smartphone hardware is already pretty much there like the Samsung Galaxy S5, which is relatively waterproof, has bright enough screen, etc.

Norm Kern

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 01:55:21 AM »
I have been loading OSM maps in my Garmin Nuvi 550 for some time as a "2nd opinion" vs the two year out of date Gamin City Nav maps. They so far the OSM maps have seemed to be generally better drawn, more accurate and up to date than City Nav and route  with the Nuvi just as well.  However, in the North American regions I have used them the POI are pretty much useless. For example it shows NO gas station in my home parish(county). Today I downloaded City Nav 2015.30 mainly for the POI.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 07:57:47 AM »
As mentioned earlier in this thread I recently purchased a new 64S with CityNav 2015 maps. I also loaded the OSM maps for the continental US.

This week we've been at Big Bend park riding dual sport.  Turns out the City Nav maps have only the major highways thru the park. The OSM maps have every little goat trail very similar to the Garmin Topo maps. After the first day I stopped using the City Nav maps. The OSM maps have been great here. There are only 3 gas stations and everyone knows where they are so POIs aren't real important.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'