Author Topic: The Bluebook Discussion thread  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Rayk86ss

• MSTA Member
Re: The Bluebook Discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
 I voted with the majority on this issue.  My choice was online blue-book with a print version at extra cost. 

After thinking about it, I'm not sure if this is the right choice.  I have not looked at a blue book, or a StarReview for a couple of years.  I no longer feel a need for either, but there may be a sizable minority of the club for whom the print  versions are a big deal.  I'd be more than willing to have my dues help subsidize a print version for these folks even if I'll just donate my own copy to the recycle bin.

Offline ladtodt

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
Well, I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'll give this a shot.

I like the compromise that Norm offers; the print version every other year.  The PDF version is still a bit awkward for me to use, so I can empathize with the folks who aren't familiar with computers.  But I like the idea of saving money on printing.

It will be interesting to see what our finances look like after this lean year of trying to recover from mistakes of the last year or so.  We seem to be going through some significant changes, which means it's still very important to be careful how we spend money.

Offline Colorado Rob

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Superhawk 2005 Suzuki DR650 KTM 200 XC/W
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
I'd vote for a print version too, and a new/updated one every other year would be OK. I like the print version of Star review too. It's easier to read in the library, cheers, Rob

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
For anybody having trouble using the PDF, I strongly urge you to use the search function in your Adobe Acrobat Reader, it makes finding what you're looking for much easier. (The app I loaded on my Crome based phone has it just like the one I use on my computer.) Though at FCR I was trying to find a member in it who needed their member#, but somehow didn't get the match, but it worked the next day when I was looking up something else).

The other nice thing is, you can highlight things in it, and cut/copy/paste into other things on your phone (like your contacts, or phone/email/map apps to call, email or find their address).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
Being able to search by name in the PDF is great when you don't remember what state someone is from, too!
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline africord

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 50,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2002 VFR800
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
I vote for PDF. One more resource I can stash in my phone. One less item to pack!

Offline sirepair

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 93 Honda ST1100/15 Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »
New member and a tech guy here. 

Why not offer the printed blue book free to any member who requests one (1 a year), but maintain the latest-greatest online in PDF format?  Members could "opt in" for the paper book.  I would gladly donate a portion of membership fees to the user wanting the hard copy since it's likely a minority. But I understand there are those that want that paper document in hand.  Maybe these members are crossing off names of members they have met...

Another forum I am a member of (ST-Owners.com) has their RAN list (Riders Assistance Network) which is much the same thing, only a printed version is unavailable.  It has proven invaluable to many in times of need and I try to keep a copy of it on my smartphone. 

Many forums are feeling the pinch from other social media.  I note MSTA and ST-Owners both have Facebook pages now, and some content is cross posted.  Good and bad, as some new exposure comes from it, but it is another outlet to be touched and moderated. 

I personally like the exclusivity of the forums. I go to the forums to find specific information and/or communicate with a set group of people.  Facebook's more "open" architecture means my work friends see stuff I post for my MC friends and vice-versa [/size](it's too much of a PITA to mess with who sees what!)   Sorry, I digress...

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »
New member and a tech guy here. 

Why not offer the printed blue book free to any member who requests one (1 a year)

Just a reminder.....we do have approximately 400 copies of the 2016 edition of the Blue Book still available to anyone that wants one.  Just send a request to the Membership committee and they will send you one at no charge.
not all that wander are lost

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »

Why not offer the printed blue book free to any member who requests one (1 a year), but maintain the latest-greatest online in PDF format?  Members could "opt in" for the paper book.  I would gladly donate a portion of membership fees to the user wanting the hard copy since it's likely a minority. But I understand there are those that want that paper document in hand.  Maybe these members are crossing off names of members they have met...

Since our Blue Book is a quality printed and bound piece, much of its cost is in setup. Printing a smaller number of copies than we currently do does not save that much money. Printing it less frequently (every other year) saves more money. It would take time and effort of volunteers to administer an opt-in list. An up-to-date PDF costs little to nothing and satisfies the computer and phone literate folks. The nice printed copy every other year is a tangible benefit of membership, which distinguishes us from the internet-only groups.

Norm Kern

Offline Andray

• MSTA Member
  • andrayhubble@gmail.com
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
OK, been a member since 2001.  Still have all my Bluebooks.  Members I have met have either a check mark or red highlight beside their names. :)
 I like seeing the member/dealer discounts, email addys, packing list in the back.  And most importantly to me if in trouble, who lives near here that I could call for help.
  Needless to say, I want a hard copy Bluebook.  Thanks.
Ride safe,

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »
So...what does the check mark mean and what does the red hilite mean(and what's by my name)
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline GoVFR

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 15 Honda VFR Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »

I'm with Andray. My Bluebooks are annotated. Very helpful memory assistant. Keep 'em coming every other year.  :clap:

GoVFR

GoVFR
MSTA #12407

Offline Mooose

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Ducati Scrambler
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
How often is the on-line version updated?
In October the Membership Committee reported more new members than expired members! :trink39:
I think it's been a long time since this has happened.
So, when will the new folks get added to the PDF version of the BB on here?
Mooose

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
How often is the on-line version updated?
In October the Membership Committee reported more new members than expired members! :trink39:
I think it's been a long time since this has happened.
So, when will the new folks get added to the PDF version of the BB on here?
The plan has been to update the BlueBook PDF files periodically, perhaps every 6 months. Thus far that schedule has slipped due to being too busy lately to tackle that project, which can ben quite time-consuming. In early December I'll start work on it and plan to upload new editions before Christmas.

I'm personally gratified that so many members have appreciated the PDF versions.

Don Moe,
MSTA Membership DB Manager

[edited to remove formatting commands and other trash]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:06:16 PM by donmoe »
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)