Author Topic: RKA Comment on Communications  (Read 15449 times)

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000 at least
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 BMW R1200RT
Re: RKA Comment on Communications
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
I bought the smallest Givi tanklok bag for use on my Multistrada but it still makes access to the ignition key a major hassle.

Ahhhah... another person spoiled and coddled by the mighty powers of KIPASS.  ;D
Yep KIPASS ROCKS! Richard, Do you do custom tank bags? By the way I love the way the left and right bags perfectly fit my asymetrical Multistrada panniers.

ALL our luggage is custom ;-) It FITS  ;)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
I bought the smallest Givi tanklok bag for use on my Multistrada but it still makes access to the ignition key a major hassle.

Ahhhah... another person spoiled and coddled by the mighty powers of KIPASS.  ;D
Yep KIPASS ROCKS! Richard, Do you do custom tank bags? By the way I love the way the left and right bags perfectly fit my asymetrical Multistrada panniers.

I think KIPASS probably works like most auto remote key FOB's and if so, you should be aware that if the battery in the FOB goes dead, you aren't going anywhere. My wife's Cadillac CTS has keyless start and recently the battery in the FOB went dead. The FOB has a regular key inserted in it and that enabled her to open the door. However, when she got in the car and tried to start it, the display said "key not detected", so she couldn't start it. I later bought a replacement battery and we now keep a spare battery for the FOB in the car.

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
I think KIPASS probably works like most auto remote key FOB's and if so, you should be aware that if the battery in the FOB goes dead, you aren't going anywhere.

Well apologies :-[ to all (especially Richard) for getting this thread off subject with my little joke post.

However, there is a passive chip in the KIPASS FOB as well, so you can still start the bike and go without a FOB battery, it's just a little more like using a key as far as work effort. However, no, you wouldn't be stranded if the KIPASS FOB battery died, unless you couldn't be bothered to read the owner's manual and had no idea how to do the backup procedure or realize that it was even available to you.

I'll bet there is also a similar procedure for a Caddy CTS.  http://dashboardsymbols.com/2015/01/general-motors-dead-key-fob-help-part-ii/
Assuming there is a backup procedure to start the CTS, be sure you remove the FOB battery before testing it, just to be sure it's a valid test.
Anyway....

Now back to RKA communications and bags.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:09:39 PM by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
Thanks Martin for the clarification on your joke and sorry Fred, the tankbag issue is with my Multistrada, all is well with the Concours (metal tank, magnetic bags rock too) The Multi has a tank cover with hidden screws and zero strap attachment points. I need a custom tank lock bag or a Ducati KIPASS!
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Sorry for going off topic, guys. Thanks for the tip on starting with a dead fob, marty. I'll print that article and place it in my wife's CTS.

Now to get back on topic, several of my riding friends and I upgraded from Cardo G9's to Cardo Packtalk, which have a mesh system and they work great.  :)

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000 at least
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
Farty, Paco, and all,

The RKA May Newsletter  is up and ready for your amusement.
Click on the link.

Now for a funny story. If you are on our email list you get maybe two emails from RKA a month and one of them is the monthly newsletter.
We use the email service called "Constant Contact" and the idea is to do the newsletter on their site.

We do not. I do it on our website so it's easy for people to look at it and find older ones going all the way back to 2011.

Well this month when I sent the message out I forgot to put the link in!!!!  :'(
I started getting mail right away there was no link!!! So I resent it again WITH the LINK.

BUT THIS IS MY STORY .... I assumed (what is it about that?) everyone KNEW where the Main Newsletter page was and could find it that way.

So I am going to inform you all, this is the structure of the RKA website so you can happily navigate around it.

RKA Products page this is where you can find everything we offer, instructional videos on our RKA YouTube Page (Cat videos also) Look for the green and blue film camera links.

You can find
products we manufacture, Other products we offer, Like SENA, Rammount, Electrical connections, Radar, Radios and more.

The right column on most main pages shows Newsletter, You Tube, Facebook etc

So NOW you can navigate around RKA and find all the fab stuff we offer and do.

OH ... wanna join our email list .... Click Here
R :trink39:

Offline naustin

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2018 Multistrada 1200 Enduro
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
Well, after wading through this thread, i'm looking forward to STAR even more.   ;)   

I have  Zumo595, and was dipping a toe in the Bluetooth game with a Sena 3s, and bought it as a stop gap while I waited (forever) for the Momentum Helmet to be released.    Coming from a hardwired Starcom for the prior 10 years, I was shocked to learn that the lower end BT units didn't have "Audio Multitasking."  Really?   I honestly took it for granted that the intercom would overlay the GPS directions.  That should be standard on anything that costs more than $40! 

Also the 3S didn't play nice with the Zumo595.   Lots of weird behavior with phone calls not working at all.  Endless frustration.  Even now, I don't know if the issue is the Zumo or the Sena, but Garmin Tech support told me that the Sena 3s was not "on the list" of supported devices.    Really?  Its a BT headset.   Is there really a difference?   Whatever, I took the gamble and I have a dual pack of 20S-EVOs on the way.    Decided to punt on the Momentum Helmet - can't give up the Modular and internal Sun Visor.

I'm looking forward to having lots of folks who can help me set up the 20s properly if I still have problems with the  Zumo 595.  (Which will be unfortunate given i'm now about $1,500 into this BT bullshit after 10 years of bliss with the Starcom and an old Zumo 450 -- Those were the days....). Specifically, I'm hoping another member uses the Zumo590/5 as a hub, with an iphone paired to the Zumo rather than the Sena directly to take advantage of all the apps and features that offers and - and can share their experience.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »

A new company in the intercom world trying out what they call Piped Sound! They want a few couples to sign up for testing... free to you of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 10:05:32 AM »
Brick - ^^^^^^^^^^^ Too funny. :trink39:
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »
Does it come with the helmets?  Goggles must be just for looks, not use.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
Sena 30K update.

After reading reports that other 30K users were not experiencing some of the problems we were having, Jeff Dolence and I returned our units (they were from the very first production batch) and just received new ones. We are back in testing mode this coming weekend.

Will report on our experience with them.

Norm Kern