Author Topic: Did a thing today....  (Read 10732 times)

Online bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
Re: Did a thing today....
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »
The 3-bike discount was greater than the cost of my KLR 650 too. When I sold it, my annual premium went up.

Think of how much money I could save with a bigger garage!
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 06:53:17 PM »
Now yer talkin' !!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 04:40:27 PM »
I've always had home & auto plus one bike or more, I may get a multi vehicle or policy discount because of that, but it isn't much. Each policy is separate, if I pay $146 to insure bike X and then don't renew that I save $146. If I cancel mid policy I get a refund equal to the percentage of policy time that I'm not using (e.g. half if it is 6 months on these annual policies).

Many different ways for them to do things that make one situation very different from another.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Smaug

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
Quote from: Patmo
State Farm (who I also have home and auto) once told me "we only insure bikes because you have other policies, and the rates are primarily tied to engine size."  Which means a 1200cc cruiser was the same as a Hayabusa, or an FJR. All of which are ridden in different ways mostly by people with different ideas of riding.

This is not the case any more. Now, they use crash statistics like the big boys. They used to have good rates, esp. for fast, small displacement bikes. Not so much any more.

At one point, they tripled my rate for no reason I could tell, and I dropped them like a hot potato. They're still competitive for cars, but not bikes.
-Jeremy

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
Quote from: Patmo
State Farm (who I also have home and auto) once told me "we only insure bikes because you have other policies, and the rates are primarily tied to engine size."  Which means a 1200cc cruiser was the same as a Hayabusa, or an FJR. All of which are ridden in different ways mostly by people with different ideas of riding.

This is not the case any more. Now, they use crash statistics like the big boys. They used to have good rates, esp. for fast, small displacement bikes. Not so much any more.

At one point, they tripled my rate for no reason I could tell, and I dropped them like a hot potato. They're still competitive for cars, but not bikes.
First wanted to point out something went wrong with that quoting of the prior post, that was something I wrote not Patmo.

Second, I've not noticed any great increase in my MC insurance rates from State Farm, certainly not anything even close to a 50% increase, let alone triple the rates. So its not likely a corporate wide change. (Trust me I don't stay with any company that has that kind of increase.)

Insurance is one of those things that just cannot be easily compared, unless you live in the same area with the same history, etc.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650