Author Topic: The Sport Riding Flow Chart  (Read 685 times)

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
The Sport Riding Flow Chart
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
In 2012 I made this chart to illustrate the procedure that many sport-oriented folks use for conducting group rides.  If followed properly each person rides at a comfortable and fun pace.  They keys are to remember to stop when changing roads, feel secure in riding your own pace and avoid becoming competitive.  Slower riders are generally at the back.  Safe passing is allowed.  We don't mind waiting.  If you just have to go faster, then go on ahead.  We'll meet you at the destination.  If you feel pressured to keep up or go fast, then wave someone around you and drop back further.  When the others are out of sight ahead you'll be able to relax and ride your own pace.
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
Re: The Sport Riding Flow Chart
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Good tips and flow chart. Riding your own is always the best option. I don't like riding in groups much larger than 5 or 6. After that, it gets harder to keep track of all riders. But, except for attending MSTA events, most of my riding is solo. But I do enjoy group riding and the camaraderie and tire kicking that goes along with it.  :trink39: 8)
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: The Sport Riding Flow Chart
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:47:12 PM »
I lead a lot lately and the one time I'm inclined to pull over and look for the group (be that 1 or several riders) is when I can usually see others behind me, but suddenly nobody is there. Unless I just passed somebody and they didn't get around yet (I usually try to wait for others behind me to get around regroup), they should be there and disappearing is bad.

If you get spread out quite a bit, and are riding in a place with other riders, its also a good idea to be sure the next rider in your group is the one you see, not just another rider possibly with similar bike/gear. As Doug said, "May be a good time to regroup."  And sometimes you just need to do that, to avoid becoming more spread out.

Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650