Author Topic: New Honda for Thanksgiving  (Read 6547 times)

rideandfly

New Honda for Thanksgiving
« on: November 26, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:35:46 PM by rideandfly »

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Re: CB500X
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
Is that your CB500X Bill? If so, you've gotta tell me what you think of it. I'm already overeating, so c'est la vie. My partner in crime is below. Pretty sexy mama eh! ;D

Touringman

rideandfly

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »
Syd,

Just got the 2015 CB500X last Monday. First tank of gas @ 61MPG. Had it on twisties & dirt roads so far, impressed with this bike. Handles twisties great and very light feel. Sixty miles to go before reaching recommended engine break-in. Had it on Old 18 (south of Morganton) yesterday, really liking this bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
Just finished Thanksgiving diner now I need to adjust my preload :(

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Please let me know about your experience with the x as time goes along Bill. You are usually a peg scrapin' kind of guy, so I wonder what attracted you to the CB500? Since you are also a Wee rider, I'm interested in some comparison between the two. I learned that horsepower isn't everything when I started riding with groups on a 500cc Aprilia scooter. I've generally been able to stick right in there comfortably with most any crowd. The need for an occasional quick passing situation is one of the few drawbacks.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Syd :)
Touringman

rideandfly

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
Please let me know about your experience with the x as time goes along Bill. You are usually a peg scrapin' kind of guy, so I wonder what attracted you to the CB500? Since you are also a Wee rider, I'm interested in some comparison between the two. I learned that horsepower isn't everything when I started riding with groups on a 500cc Aprilia scooter. I've generally been able to stick right in there comfortably with most any crowd. The need for an occasional quick passing situation is one of the few drawbacks.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Syd :)

Our Wee is set up for two up riding with SV650 (17") front wheel with rear lowered 1" to retain close to original rake & trail, and firm suspension to reduce touch down while two up.  Had a Russel Day Long seat built for the Wee because Debbie could not get comfortable on other seats for long distance riding, but she really likes the Day-Long seat and I probably could not get my feet on the ground very well with the Day-Long seat unless the bike was lowered.

We like the Wee so much how it's set up, decided to buy the CB for Solo sport touring and a little fire road riding. The CB has been a pleasant surprise in regard to fine handling on twisties and power. Will finish the engine break-in period on the CB today during a ride with my Son, so will be able to further check it out on twisties and sweepers. Going to install Givi racks for the 22L hard side cases used on the Wee.

Will post about the CB500X after further experience with it!!!!!!

Hope Everyone Had a Great Thanksgiving!!!!!!

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »
Well the topic has kind of drifted off from Thanksgiving over indulgence but I'll add my 2 cents on the little Honda 500.

I had a chance to ride a friend's new CB500X recently for a few miles. I was both impressed and not. The bike looks, feels and handles great - light, smooth, nimble and narrow but I felt it was more than a bit underpowered. This coming from a guy who rides single cylinder bikes most of the time. It's no surprise that my big ole thumper (DR650) feels more powerful (more torquey) but I was surprised that the DR actually felt a bit faster than the 500 twin too. Nowhere near as smooth and refined though. There's absolutely no doubt that either of our Suzuki 650 v-twins (DL and SV) would run circles around the 500 but those bikes are getting a bit long of tooth now and will have to be retired one of these days. And, like pretty much every other "adventure" bike these days, I would never take one of these on anything more rugged than a gravel road. My problem with this model and most other pseudo dual sport/adventure bikes is that they are just too fragile for real off-pavement use. They don't drop or take abuse well... Lack of a protective frame under the engine, low ground clearance, expensive plastic parts and on some bikes, low pipes and cast wheels, make them unacceptable to me for that kind of duty.

All that said the CB500X is quick "enough" for an old guy like me and I would consider it a viable replacement for either of our street bikes for a single rider. It's definitely NOT a two-up bike in my book. I like the refined, well thought out feel (it's a Honda after all!) and the fantastic fuel mileage. I don't know how well it will sell in "bigger is better" North American where it will be positioned as an entry-level machine (and an excellent choice IMO) but I suspect it will be a success for Honda in the international markets.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:54:55 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

rideandfly

Re: New Honda for Thanksgiving
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:36:05 PM »
Have some engine/frame protection farkles on order. Fuel economy last fill up @ 70MPG with a 4.5 gallon tank!!!!!!

Additional photos:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:38:48 PM by rideandfly »