Author Topic: Product Reviews - Clearwater Voltage Sentry (CVS)  (Read 2718 times)

VersysRider

Product Reviews - Clearwater Voltage Sentry (CVS)
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
Nicky Zarras | Managing Editor

As technology grows in the industry the demand for electrical power increases. Battery technology has also increased, but the stator or alternator that came with your bike has not evolved. So monitoring your charging and battery status is very important. New motorcycles have voltage meters as part of stock equipment. Older motorcycles probably not. You can buy a voltage meter and install it in your motorcycle but if your system has or starts to degrade will you notice the meter in a timely manner.

The Clearwater Company markets the American Made Clearwater Voltage Sentry (CVS) that features what I call “an intelligent warning light (IWL)”. Most warning lights just come on, then you have to look at the gauge for answers, if you have one, or just call your tow service. This simple device provides constant monitoring of your system. You just attach it to your battery and it blinks in a color and rate that tells you the voltage range of your system. When you shut off your bike the LED IWL will stay on monitoring your system for five minutes then shut off. It is accurate to one fourth of a percent. And it is accurate from -40 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

The LED lights up in different colors and flashing rates to indicate your voltage range. Let’s look at them starting at the lowest voltage range. Flashing Red: Less than 11.5 volts (12.7 on a Shorai battery) indicating either a dead battery or time to charge it. Solid Red: 11.6-12.0 volts (Shorai 12.7-12.8) indicates your battery is weak, a degraded charging system, or you have too many accessories. Solid Yellow: 12.1-13.1 volts (Shorai 13.2-13.4) same as the Solid Red but less critical. Solid Green: 12.5- 13.1 volts (Shorai 12.2-13.2) indicates a good battery when power is off, weak charging when bike is running. Flashing Green Slow: 13.2-14.6 volts (Shorai 13.5-14.8) indicates you have a good battery and charging system. Flashin Green Fast: Over 14.6 volts (Shorai 14.8) indicates overcharging by the stator/alternator.

I mounted the LED IWL on the lower right inside of my windshield just inside of my peripheral view. The light is easily seen. The installation was simple, and you just have to decide where you are going to place the LED indicator and the control module. If you have any questions Clearwater Company has great free technical support. This is an excellent low cost way to monitor your electrical system without taking your eyes off the road to read a meter that may be washed out by the sun. To find out more or to purchase the CVS, contact The Clearwater Company, 1130 Sunrise Gold Circle, Unit D, Rancho Cordova, CA 95842, Phone (916) 852-7029, www.clearwaterlights.com.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Product Reviews - Clearwater Voltage Sentry (CVS)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:18 PM »
I put one of these on my 98 VFR after the electrical graemlins struck a few years ago. Ever since then it is nice to know I can just look at the little light and see things are functioning properly.
Installation was easy even for this novice mechanic. Only problem I had is the LED light wouldn't stay in that little bracket, so I just zip tied it to something near the stearing head.
I think I saw it on the back page of MCN at one time, right around when I had these electrical problems, and quickly decided it was the solution. There are more complex model that actually show voltage readout, but you don't really need that much detail usually (and they would require more space to mount).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650