Author Topic: CTX is Totaled  (Read 10393 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
CTX is Totaled
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:50 PM »
Hello all, I've received word that my Honda CTX is totaled. My Aprilia 500 Scarabeo that was stolen from the dealership is still missing in action. The only thing I have left to ride is a Piaggio MP3 400. That's okay with me as it will fulfill my short term needs. The hunt is on for a replacement #1 bike. I'm wondering if anyone lives near Hilliard, Ohio? There's a bike there I may like to ask someone if they could look at for me. Is there anyone in that area who might be able to do that for me? Thanks, Syd
Touringman

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: CTX is Totaled
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:03:55 AM »
I find it amazing that the guy that swiped your Aprilia is still on the loose. If his credit info was really him, I'd think that would be a no brainer. If it was not his info, did he really go into the dealership with fake credentials with the thought in mind of stealing someone's bike while he was there?

What are you looking at now?
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:45:24 AM »
Syd....I'm sorry to hear this, especially about the Aprilla.  I imagine that by now it's either been shipped out of the country or chopped up.  Guy sounds like a real pro who knew what he was doing.  Probably was hoping that the dealership was going to let him "demo" a new model while his credit was being checked, with him knowing darn well he wasn't going to bring it back if they did. 

I wonder...can we get tracking microchips for our bikes?  Kind of like the app on our phone that can tell us where we parked our car?  Think I'm goi g to have to look into this more...hmmmm.

Good luck on your search and if I can help in any way, don't hesitate.

Pat
not all that wander are lost

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
Syd....I'm sorry to hear this, especially about the Aprilla.  I imagine that by now it's either been shipped out of the country or chopped up.  Guy sounds like a real pro who knew what he was doing.  Probably was hoping that the dealership was going to let him "demo" a new model while his credit was being checked, with him knowing darn well he wasn't going to bring it back if they did. 

I wonder...can we get tracking microchips for our bikes?  Kind of like the app on our phone that can tell us where we parked our car?  Think I'm goi g to have to look into this more...hmmmm.

Pat
Lojack has been around for years.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »
Bryan Dunlap lives in Hilliard, Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »

Pat
And along with Lojack, the SPOT folks have a tracker.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I will give Bryan a call. I am frankly confused as to what to buy, and I am not rushing to do anything. After all the noise I made about getting rid of the CTX, I actually gained a little respect for it at Big Lynn. One of the bikes I'd been looking at was the Yamaha FZ-07, and Howard was riding his new one with us the day I crashed. He later told me he had a tough time keeping up when coming out of a corner. I was a little surprised, but the CTX does have bountiful low end torque, and I'm a fan or torque. I'd also considered the lowly NC700X (sorry Tosh), as it has the same running gear, and I could lower it a tad if needed. I hate to admit it, but after reading the review of the much changed WeeStrom, and the comparison of it to the Versys 650LT in the new Rider, the Vstrom is looking good again. I'm just reading and listening to a lot of reviews and comparisons right now. After all, I still have my Piaggio MP3 400 to ride for now. Everyone should take advantage of this story to press the home front for more bikes in the garage! It is possible to run out!

I just don't understand about the Aprilia either? I've completely stopped pressing the issue, because I'm not sure I would want it back at this point. No telling how it's been treated, and what shape it's in now. Allstate has already settled on the CTX, and they were fair about it. I sent the rest of the paperwork to Erie concerning the Aprilia yesterday, and I'm waiting to hear from them. I won't replace the Aprilia, and just use the settlement for that to put towards one bike. Syd😀
Touringman

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
Syd, I sent you a PM, let me know if I can help you out.

Steve
Steve

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
Hey Steve, I just checked, and I don't have a new pm?? :o
Touringman

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
Syd, I sent it to your yahoo account.
Steve

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
I got it Steve! I sent you a reply. Thanks!
Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
Since your dealer will be on the hook for the insurance claim of the stolen Aprilia Scooter maybe they've just accepted that fact and haven't pressed the local LEOs on catching the culprit. But if I were a MC dealer in that area and this happened to me I'd be sure to press for investigation and prosecution, to prevent further theft from local dealers.  As somebody said sounds like the theif had a plan, and had to settle for anything he could easily steal when he realized they weren't letting him ride away with what he wanted.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
Syd glad to hear you're alright. Looking forward to Fall Colors!

Be good to see Steve G. and all the guys .

The Versy looks tall, there are some good deals on the Honda CB 500 X. Personally I never liked the looks the NC model and if you pack it isn't the gas tank under the seat which means removing some luggage to add gas :(

My friend has a Burgman scooter. He rides that darn thing more than his BMW 800 GS? He loves it. Low to the ground, tons of torque and plenty of power and speed. Lots of internet action/clubs and forums. Larry

Wardie

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »
Thanks Steve and Wardie. I agree with you Steve, but. at this point, I don't think I want them to find it, and try to force it back on me. There's been too much time elapsed, and too many chances for it to have been abused. Not only have the police not caught anyone, but they still haven't provided a report for the insurance company. They're holding up the claim.

I have been considering almost every bike under the sun Wardie, and the CB500x is on the list. The CTX700 had gobs of low end torque in just the right place for pulling out of corners, and merging with traffic. I just don't know if the 500 can compete with that. I'm not in a huge rush. The search for the right bike, and the right deal are ongoing. :D
Touringman

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »
The CB500x might be a good choice. I've ridden a couple and the performance is acceptable if not quite thrilling. It is more of a revver than your torquey 700 though so it would require a different riding style. It is however, a physically small motorcycle. That's not necessarily a bad thing for us aging riders but it might affect the long term comfort for a "touringman". As a tall guy I found the bike to be a little tight but it might fit you perfectly. Point is you need some saddle time on one before deciding.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure