Author Topic: A Ride Through The Pyrenees  (Read 1498 times)

VersysRider

A Ride Through The Pyrenees
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
By Dave “Johnny Cool Factory Racer” Edinger, Indiana

Swiss, one Saudi, and the rest were of that beret-wearing country. Two Harley baggers, one Suzuki DR 650, two Ducati’s, one Kawasaki Concourse, and the rest were Beemers. No breakdowns, no wrecks, no tickets.

First night we arrived after a short ride to the Pyrenees in a bit of rain. The others were already there. Hosam and I took the scenic route. We wanted to ride more and wanted some rain riding before we stopped. Saturday we left in the rain for Spain, took the direct route due to the weather, which still included two-lane twisties and a pass or two. Then we hit the bar which was a great place to stay, built in the 1700’s by a Catholic Deacon—amazing view and hospitality. Later after a short nap, some of the brave went out again, even electing not to wear or bring rain gear. Motorcyclists are such optimists and they paid dearly for their bravery. Visibility was non-existent, winds were high, and rain came in sheets.

Next day was only a 60% chance of rain and we all rode. After a great start and nice roads, the rain started. It stopped by lunch and we made it back to town. Seven of us wanted more and continued on, running into a brief shower close to home base. We changed our original plan and stayed at the same place two nights due to weather. We stopped at a hilltop village, about 400 years old, for some beers and a small pizza before riding the last 5 miles

The final day was perfect, the best weather, the best roads, the most passes, at this point we were now ten. Two took the picture taking route back and the others left earlier for work or family. After lunch I headed out minutes before the rest. I rode down the pass never to see the rest of the group again until that evening. How we could miss each other at the end of a single road will always remain a mystery. I did one more pass on my own, then took the back roads through towns. Missy and I had ridden together so we were in no hurry. It was nice memories.

We met with our old friends, Lucien, Annie, Stephen and Geraldine a few miles away for the final wrap up BBQ for a drink and to catch up. Great to see them. I have promised to bring Missy back next spring.

I arrived late for the BBQ. It was in full swing and hosted by Franc and his wife Ennis. It was a great party, with videos of the rides and lots of bench racing. Butch and I stayed at the Delages’ place for an early departure.

Next year’s Comlux ride is in the US. We are leaving from Indy, heading for Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina. And bringing the wives is an option for the third annual trip followed by the Indy MotoGP.