Author Topic: Road Test - BMW F 800 GS Adventure  (Read 2926 times)

VersysRider

Road Test - BMW F 800 GS Adventure
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
By Nick Zarras, Managing Editor

BMW has had a lot of success using its base F 800 platform. One of the most successful variants is the F 800 GS. This long distance travel enduro provides a great platform for serious off the road use at a lower price and weight than the R 1200 GS. The F 800 GSA uses the basic F 800 GS platform. The front 90/90 -21 tires rides on 2.15x21” rims. The rear 150/70-17 tires runs on 4.25x17” rims. For the world traveler an important change is the structural upgrade under the seat to allow an increase in fuel capacity from 4.2 gallons to 6.3 gallons. The seat height is also taller at 35 inches vs. 34.6 inches. A 33.9 inch low seat is also available.

The F 800 GSA front fork is 43mm in diameter, 2 mm slimmer than the front fork on the F 800 GS. The F 800 GSA has 9.1 inches of front suspension travel. Rear suspension travel is 8.5 inches. The front brake lever controls dual floating disks, diameter 300mm, two-piston floating calipers, ABS. The rear brake pedal controls a single disk, diameter 265mm, single-piston floating caliper, ABS.

The GSA’s rear sub-frame structure was strengthened to handle the weight of the additional touring equipment and increased fuel capacity. That increased its weight to 505 pounds vs. the F 800 GS’s 472 pounds. Payload has also been increased by 22 pounds.

The F 800 GSA engine is the venerable 798cc water cooled 4-stroke in-line two-cylinder that produces 85 hp and 61 lb/ft of torque. The alternator provides 400 watts of power. No change to the 6-speed gearbox.

The F 800 GSA has a very aggressive styling, is striking and brings immediate recognition and positive commentary. The F 800 GSA came loaded. The LED auxiliary lights provided the triangle light signature recommended by the MSF course. It had Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA), ABS, ASC, road and enduro mode control, heated grips, center stand and an on-board computer. It also came with side case bag mounts installed which added protection for the under-seat fuel tank and exhaust canister.

The seating position provides comfortable ergonomics to the pegs and handlebars. The seating height is high even for my 31 inseam but with my feet behind the foot pegs my feet could almost lay flat.

Once underway the F 800 GSA feels very light on its tires. The very light clutch and throttle made even low speed 180 degree turns easy. On the road I played with the ESA selecting the Sport, Comfort and Normal modes. The differences are subtle. Sport mode provided the sharpest handling yet still provided a great ride; so I just kept it in Sport mode for the remainder of the test. The test was on paved roads, so I did not use the enduro mode. Fires in the area closed off key off-road test areas.

The engine performance was strong, allowing quick merges into highway traffic. Acceleration at traffic speeds is best done in 5th gear. The F 800 GSA’s ability to cruise at 100 mph plus speeds makes it a great long distance overseas tourer. A key point: if your vacation spot allows high speeds chose a rental with aftermarket tires as the stock tires are rated to 100 mph.

On the Red Rock National Conservation Area roads the F 800 GSA carved well with very light bar inputs. At Mount Charleston National Park I used the heated grips and chose the low setting as the high setting was too hot for 40 degree weather. The handling was excellent at the high altitude, tighter and greater varying degree turns. Brake feel was also good for both front and rear brakes. On a longer highway segment I found the seat comfort good during the one hour plus trip. The tall windshield, which has a unique shape, provided good protection. Gas mileage was excellent showing 60 mpg on the on-board computer LCD readout. With 6.3 gallons at your disposal you can chose more out-of-the-way spots to ride to.

I had experienced some heavy winds during the tests but the F 800 GSA was very stable. The fuel cell’s lower center of gravity, and rearward shift of weight seemed to help handling.

One test was a night run. The standard lights put out a good pattern. The auxiliary lights put out a rectangle beam with sharp cut-offs at the top and bottom. The pattern is taller than the low beams. The range was similar to the high beams. Having three lights made me more visible to oncoming traffic.

As with all BMW motorcycles some key accessories must be on your Christmas list. Their Motorad Navigator Adventure GPS is for on/off-the-road and on-water use. The aluminum luggage cases are 44 liters on the right side and 38 liters on the left side. The top case has a 32-liter capacity.. A 12/17 liter tank bag is available. The tinted windshield will add chic to the bike style, while the sports silencer by Akrapovic will add vibrato. The engine guard will help keep you on your ride when an unexpected terrain change presents itself.

Over the 363 miles traveled I thoroughly enjoyed riding the BMW F 800 GS Adventure. It was a good fit for my body shape, and the handling made “calling it a day” during the several test days a difficult decision. My thanks to BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas (6675 S. Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89113, www.bmwoflasvegas.com, 702-454-6269) for the use of their BMW F 800 GS Adventure for this road test.

Ride Safe my friends
Clear Skies, Clear roads...