Author Topic: Exploring Western Kentucky Parks...day 2  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Exploring Western Kentucky Parks...day 2
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:06:48 AM »
Leaving Lake Barkley at 0 dark 30, I had two goals for the day.  First was to finish my trek and get the last two parks I needed to fulfill my goal. Second, beat the rain that was coming in later in the day.  Upon completion of the first part, I would be aiming my bike south and heading toward Franklin, Tn. for a good nights rest and some chores to be done.

The first stop was to be Pennyrile State Forest Park.  Located near Dawson Springs, it is 863 acres of virgin forest and takes its name from the pennyroyal, a small flowering plant native to the area.  Pennyroyal......pennyrile......now you get an idea of how people talk around this area.  That ain't no accent, it's a twang!
The road into the park from the southern entrance is kinda cool, but if you haven't ever been there before, a real fooler. It winds aroujnd the hills in the area for several miles it seems, but then over a hill, a step drop down, and you have found the lodge. 

photo 1....the sign

photo 2....the lodge

Only 1 more to go now!  The next one would be a bit of a hike to reach, as it was located more central to the state than many, and the furthest east I would travel, before heading south.  it would also turn out to be the 2nd best road I would ride to get into a park....route 973. 

Lake Malone state park is not the largest land park, only 338 acres, but the lake is an additional 788 acres.  There are picnic areas, campsites, a beach, boat ramp, and a dock.  Hiking trails to sandstone cliffs and a natural stone bridge can be explored as well.  For me however, it was the finish line.  The end of my quest to visit every park, historical site, etc. in the state. 

photo 3....the sign

photo 4....the final mileage before heading south

photo 5....small store/post office/restaurant/town gathering place on route 431 just outside of the park......the "city' center... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
not all that wander are lost