Author Topic: Member Profile - Phil Tarman  (Read 1910 times)

VersysRider

Member Profile - Phil Tarman
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »

MSTA Member Phil Tarman

Hometown/State? I live in Fort Morgan, CO.

What was your first motorcycle? A 1983 Honda GL650i Silverwing. This bike had skinny panniers and a trunk big enough for a helmet. It also had cool LED meters on the fairing that gave me digital readouts of voltage, CB channel, outside air temperature. I always thought they made the bike look especially impressive at night. (Before I bought the Silverwing, I thought I’d be a “cruiser” kind of guy. The Silverwing made a sport tourer out of me.

Current motorcycle? I own a 2010 Honda NT700VA (ABS model), farkled with Russell DayLong Saddle; Rostra Electronic Cruise Control; Honda undercowl and wind deflectors; Cee Bailey +4 inch screen; bar risers, peg lowerers; Givi topbox; Denali D1 driving lights; Admore brake light/turn signal bar.

What is your all-time favorite motorcycle? I have always liked the Moto Guzzi LeMans, made between 1976 and 1992. This elegant Italian brute has always made me smile, whenever I see one on the road.

How long have you been riding? I’ve been riding motorcycles for 17 years.

When did you join the MSTA? I joined the club in May, 2013.

How did you hear about the MSTA? Friend and MSTA member, Steve Cook, told me about the club.

Who (what) was your biggest influence in motorcycling? The people I met through the Concours Owners Group and the Iron Butt Association had a big impact on me. The IBA forum, website and “Iron Butt” magazine have been great sources of information and support for the type of riding I like to do.

Favorite places to ride? I like riding almost anywhere. I love riding in the Colorado Rockies, but I also like the Colorado Plains, western Nebraska and Kansas (as long as I’m not on I-80 or I-70). My very favorite place to ride, so far, is Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

Describe a memorable motorcycle adventure? That’s easy, my “Epic Post-Retirement motorcycle trip to Alaska, the Four Corners of the USA, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador.” This was a 73-day, 21,000 mile ride that I enjoyed the summer of 2013. I rode most of it by myself and every day was WONDERFUL. I’d go to sleep feeling great about what I’d done that day and wake up excited about what I was going to do with the new day! I saw places I’d dreamed about and connected with interesting and friendly people all
along the way.

What is the best motorcycle advice or tip learned through the years? Just get out there and ride.

What turns you on about motorcycles or riding? I always look forward to the time I’ll spend unrolling the road ahead. It’s always an adventure that includes seeing new places, riding new roads and dealing with challenges along the way.

Hobbies and interests outside of motorcycling? I enjoy reading. And although I am “retired,” I am currently serving as an interim Methodist minister 3-4 days a week down in Rocky Ford, CO.

MSTA Member Phil Tarman

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Re: Member Profile - Phil Tarman
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »
Hey Phil, I really enjoyed your profile, and we probably have some traits in common. Your epic journey sounds like the stuff that dreams are made of! My longest trip so far has been close to 9k, which you eclipsed by quite a bit. Are you a retired minister, and, if so, what denomination were you? Next time you plan such a trip, and want some companionship, let me know! I'm hosting the Fall Colors Ride in Lewisburg, WV. The first week in Oct., and it would be nice to see you there. Take care, Syd Mayes
Touringman