Author Topic: 100,000 Foot Ride  (Read 2790 times)

VersysRider

100,000 Foot Ride
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Doug Logston | Colorado

213 riders gathered at Foothills BMW, Lakewood, CO, early on August 2nd for the 15th annual “100,000 Foot Ride,” sponsored by the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado.

A 100,000 foot ride (approx 19 miles) may not seem like much of a challenge for most readers of this newsletter. But when that 100,000 feet is measured in altitude rather than distance, the ride becomes an all day event. The ride is structured to take one over enough mountain passes to total over 100,000 feet in elevation in a single day. This achievement is not attainable anywhere else in North America and perhaps the world. The route provided one with magnificent Colorado scenery and some very entertaining motorcycle roads to ride upon.

Our group of seven riders included Bob “Dog” Maddocks (BMW R1200GSA) and guest Mike Foy (Can-AM Spyder), Phil Tarman (Honda NT700VA) and guest Ken Malone (Yamaha FJR1300), Dan Larson (Honda VFR1200F), John Somers (BMW K1200RS) and Doug Logston (Honda CBR1100XX).

After checking in at the registration table, picking up an event t-shirt, route map and sampling some breakfast goodies, it was time to mount up and head west. My clock read 7:25 AM. Traffic on I-70 was already building and we were anxious to get through Idaho Springs, ahead of weekend traffic.

As I checked my mirrors, I was having difficulty spotting six helmets. So I pulled off at a turn-out to count noses and realized that one of our group was missing. After a few minutes wait, Ken caught up with the group.

L—R: Ken Malone, John Somers, Doug Logston, Dan Larson

Everyone appeared to be smiling, so we saddled up and rode to the exit for Loveland Pass and began our ascent to 11,990 feet and the Continental Divide. We stopped at the top for photos and realized our group had shrunk to four riders. A couple minutes later Ken pulled in and told us that Mike had a low oil condition on his Can-Am and that it was struggling to reach 50 mph. And that Dog had stayed behind with his guest. I attempted to call Dog on my cell phone, but no luck.

Our group of five continued on US-6 past Arapahoe Basin, Keystone and stopped in Dillon to gas up. Back on US-6 we chose not to ride to the summit of Vail Pass, in the interest of time (there was a catered barbeque supper waiting for us at the end of the day), and proceeded south on CO-91 over Fremont Pass (11,318’) to Leadville.

The 3-day celebration known as Boom Days, featuring the area’s mining heritage, had Leadville’s main drag closed. So north and south bound traffic was forced to detour east of downtown. I got to see a portion of Leadville I hadn’t seen previously.

Continuing south on US-24, we turned right onto CO-82 and rode up to Independence Pass (12,095’). Lo and behold, there was Bob Maddocks, waiting for us to arrive. Bob said he’d convinced Mike Foy to return to the Denver area and find a Can-Am dealership to look over his ailing ride. Then Bob set out to catch up to the rest of us . . . in a hurry.

Bob “Dog” Maddocks

Our descent from Independence Pass was a quick one. Turning south onto US-24 we headed for Buena Vista. BV looked like a good place to find lunch, but first we visited Cottonwood Pass (12,126’). I’d never been to the top of this one before. The east side of Cottonwood Pass is paved. The west side of the Pass . . . not so much. We rode back down the east side, enjoying the switch-backs, good asphalt and light traffic.

We found a convenient Conoco station in Buena Vista to fill our gas tanks. The troops made it clear that their stomachs needed filling as well. As they looked at me expectantly, I scanned the vicinity and spied the Branding Iron Grille about 100 yards from the gas station. “There’s lunch, gentlemen,” I said with resolve. The grille proved to be a very good place for a mid-day repast and the conversation around the table was delightful.

Phil Tarman

It was about 2:00 PM when we pointed our bikes east on US-24 toward Hartsel, Floris-sant and Woodland Park. Due to the late hour, our group agreed to bypass Monarch Pass and Poncha Pass, just to make sure we got back to Prospect Park in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, and the evening meal being catered by Bennett’s Bar-B-Que, on time.

A brisk pace was maintained across Trout Creek Pass (9346’), Wilkerson Pass (9507’) and Ute Pass (9165’). Fortunately, there were no “performance” awards collected by our group as we traversed Chaffee, Park and Teller Counties.

At Woodland Park, Bob Maddocks broke off from our flight formation and continued east to Colorado Springs and home. The remaining five riders turned north on CO-67 and chased each other through the sweepers to Deckers, then farther north on CR-126 to US-285 at Pine Junction. US-285 led us back to C-470. North on C-470 to I-70 and then west to Wheat Ridge, ar-riving at 5:25 PM for the evening barbecue.

I really enjoyed the day, the route and the company of men riding with me. I logged a total of 420 miles on the day, visited seven mountain passes with a total elevation of 75,547 feet. Good times indeed!

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: 100,000 Foot Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
Nice report...I wish I was there. But short of that (nothing "short" about your ride at all!) I had hoped to pay a visit on the SE-STAR folks at Copperhead Lodge this weekend. However, I ended up standing in a parking lot doing an MSF BRC2 class for some guys that needed their M endorsements. We even had a couple of sheriff deputies from a county up the road a piece that were warned by their superior to get their licenses NOW (both riding sport bikes showing a remarkable lack of maintenance including chains that were so rusty I was surprised they made it through the day). Another guy rode 20 years ago and just took up riding again now having just retired. One fellow was there after being encouraged to attend by a member of our local police department who had taken offense at his 35 miles over the speed limit without an appropriate license.

While it has been somewhat disputed since, Malcolm Gladwell once espoused the theory that it takes 10,000 hours of appropriately guided practice to become proficient at an activity. I've probably got near twice that much riding time under by belt (estimating that my total mileage has probably taken place at an overall average of 35 mph), but I'm still learning and hoping to get better.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:45 AM »
Good report!..
Glad to see you're still riding Dan!

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
Sounds like a great ride! Ken Malone looks a LOT like Ron Walkenspaw... a LOT!

Great report!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650