Main Forums > General Discussion

Forum vs. Facebook (facebook update)

(1/3) > >>

Smaug:
https://www.wired.com/story/f8-zuckerberg-future-is-private/?CNDID=57152059&CNDID=57152059&bxid=NDAxMjg1MjA1OTA2S0&hasha=a765f9a7556c70cbf0b5b0fe03931132&hashb=ea7cd4a1c7248695e0af90e8e4fdabcad42dd188&mbid=nl_050119_daily_list1_p4&source=DAILY_NEWSLETTER&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20050119%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

Facebook Groups, (of which MSTA has several) are kind of like forums. Except not as private.  ;D
[/size]
[/size]He seems to be talking about going "semi-private."

Patmo:

They are really more concerned about how the data on members is kept private v the content being able to be read by members and non members of FB.

Actually FB group pages CAN be made private by making it a closed group verses a public group. Even today the way things are set up, it is semi-private.  All new members must be approved by the administrator before they are able to post, and the posts may be deleted by the administration.  In addition to deleting a post the poster may be blocked from further posting by the administration.  People can also set up their own FB profile so that only selected people can see their posts to their own time line.  But, like the forum here in most cases the rule of thumb is.....if you don’t want someone to be able to read your post, don’t post it.  And...if you don’t want to see posts from some people on FB, don’t “like” and/or “follow” them and you won’t .

Not saying that any of this is unknown or a surprise to people that use FB a lot (like the OP), but I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about FB on the part of non-users.  Even group members, but non administrators generally don’t know about all of the controls FB has.

Smaug:
I guess by 'privacy' I meant that in Facebook, someone (Facebook) is harvesting our information and using it, even if it isn't visible to the general public.

Here, in a private forum, I don't believe that's the case. (I could be wrong)

Or maybe I'm just getting old?  ;D

Patmo:

--- Quote from: Smaug on May 07, 2019, 11:56:04 PM ---I guess by 'privacy' I meant that in Facebook, someone (Facebook) is harvesting our information and using it, even if it isn't visible to the general public.

Here, in a private forum, I don't believe that's the case. (I could be wrong)

Or maybe I'm just getting old?  ;D

--- End quote ---

Virtually anything you do is being monitored.  What happens with that data is the question?

Short story....about 8 years ago I started searching for an aunt and some cousins we had lost touch with decades ago.  It wasn’t until this past winter that I actually was able to find and contact them.  I did it by using google and tapping into some websites that are dedicated to background searches.  In one afternoon I was able to locate the aunt and one cousin, find out where they lived, their phone numbers, where they worked, how much they paid for their house (which I could see on google earth, where they worked, and even find a couple of old photos of them.....and I never even used any location services for this, or paid anyone for this information.  The aunt had even remarried and had changed her last name!  And they aren’t FB users.

There is no such thing as “private” information anymore.  Everything you ever do that deals with the government is going into a database somewhere.  It’s just a matter of who can see that information and what they do with it.

STLTHMSTA:
That's scary Big Brother!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version