Author Topic: Yamaha Sales Down  (Read 11276 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Yamaha Sales Down
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
The sales don’t look good for Yamaha! -JEP-

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/yamaha-500cc-sales-catastrophe/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Yamaha Sales Down
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »
That's a real shame. If I were to be going out to spend money on a new bike, I'd still have to put the FJ-09 near the top of my list. It's a bike that really trips my trigger.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:53 AM »
[font=]Geoffrey, I afraid if the new bike market depends on you and me they are all in trouble... :helpme: [/font]
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
I'll just say that I "appreciate the depreciation" that comes when someone decides to part company with a bike. It's allowed me to add some low mileage bikes, as well as higher mileage and well used bikes, to the garage.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »
And therein lies the problem for the manufacturers.  As the market ages, the “need” for a NEW bike wans.  Most of us are very happy picking up a bike that is a couple of years old, but with almost no use on it.  The need for a warranty that a new bike offers, or the need for the bling that a new bike offers, is not enough incentive for us to spend the extra money that the new bike costs.  We don’t need the low payments financing either because we more often pay cash.  We aren’t in need of all the bells and whistles because we can’t figure out how to use it all anyway. 

And the younger folks that might be tempted to buy the new bikes, with their warranties and bling, are so burdened down with debt, they can’t take on the financial burden that doing so would entail.
not all that wander are lost

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:57 AM »
Yes, it's certainly a dilemma for all the motorcycle makers and not just Yamaha.  Some makers are offering "lower priced" bikes in the 300-500 cc range but sales have been anything but brisk.  The X and Y generation kids are not really gearheads, although I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
A nearly 20% drop in sales is huge for any corporation! If you read the related articles Yamaha is moving their US operation to the Atlanta area to help control costs.
I hope they offer plant tours! -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
The times they are a changin'. Interesting to me that Saturday's track day at NOLA Motorsports had a near record turnout with a huge novice group with lots of females and couples. In my track days it was almost exclusively male.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Bermuda Ron

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
Yamaha product line is the real problem. Hot selling category is "Dual Sport" right now, and what do they offer you ask?  WR250, XT250, and TW200  :-\

Why do they hold on to the VMax? Basically an outboard motor based hot-rod that has the reputation of only being able to be driven in a straight line at speeds that will cost you your license.  The rest of the "Sport Heritage" line-up is a styling disaster designed by committee - "gee lets do something old but new - or is that new but old?"  And the SR400 is less road worthy than bikes coming out of Korea, India, or even Malayasia.

No 750, 650, or 500 in the Cruiser line (think Virago), and the 250 is basically an MSF trainer.

In touring, the Venture and Eluder will get blown away by the all new Goldwing (OMG what a wonderful bike!).  The Super-T is nice, but top-heavy compared to the competition.

I rode one of their "hyper naked" MT-07s through the Swiss and French Alps, and while the roads and scenery were the best ever, the bike was just "meh".

The sport-touring line-up is maybe the strongest of any manufacturer (although I have not seen the Tracer in the flesh)[/size][size=78%], [/size][/size]and the super-sport as always is robust, but I know a dealer who will not even talk to a new rider looking at a liter bike.  Mama Yama needs a 500 with sexy tupperware.[size=78%]

The scooters are just too expensive (and I've owned a LOT of scooters).  What, no 500 or 650 scooter for the US market - are you kidding? Easy to do on the XMAX frame.

So that's my rant . . . but I would not want to be a Yama-dealer right now.
Ron Campbell, MSTA Member
Somerset, Bermuda & Mills River, NC USA
Husqvarna TR650 Terra "Annie" my red-headed orphan; Triumph Sprint ST 1050; Kawasaki Vulcan 1600; Daelim S1
Riding out of Mills River, NC in the heart of Motorcycle Heaven!

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
[..If you read the related articles Yamaha is moving their US operation to the Atlanta area to help control costs. I hope they offer plant tours!.. ]

They've never had production facilities in the states, just sales/service offices and parts warehouses.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
Yes, it's certainly a dilemma for all the motorcycle makers and not just Yamaha.  Some makers are offering "lower priced" bikes in the 300-500 cc range but sales have been anything but brisk.  The X and Y generation kids are not really gearheads, although I'm sure there are a few exceptions.
Many of the young people don't even drive, far more than I recall hearing about when I was growing up back before the dinosaurs were wiped out.

I've got one nephew who doesn't drive, know a couple of co workers with kids in their 20s who don't drive. And I hear others talking about their kids, or somebody they know like that. It just they don't like driving or rarely do, they don't even have a license or any desire to get one.

I tried to help sagging sales this year, but I doubt that half price 2014 VFR really helped much  ;)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
AutoWeek magazine had an article a few years ago about the younger generation.  I had just read it, when my brother in law was upset that his daughter, at age 18 was not interested in learning to drive.  I informed him and my sister that AutoWeek stated that, if I remember correctly, less than 60% of 21 year old and younger have a drivers license.  The article did not even talk about cycle licenses.

She is now a senior in college and still no license or desire to drive.

You should have heard the screams from my sister and husband back then when I offered to take her to a Ford sponsored teen driving seminar with SCCA and use Denise's '06 Mustang GT with 5 speed.  They thought I was going to try to kill her.  I informed them it was safer than their Saturn as the Mustang has ABS and traction control and will shut down if things get too crazy.  And, I would be in the pass seat also.

Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
AutoWeek magazine had an article a few years ago about the younger generation.  I had just read it, when my brother in law was upset that his daughter, at age 18 was not interested in learning to drive.  I informed him and my sister that AutoWeek stated that, if I remember correctly, less than 60% of 21 year old and younger have a drivers license.  The article did not even talk about cycle licenses.

She is now a senior in college and still no license or desire to drive.

You should have heard the screams from my sister and husband back then when I offered to take her to a Ford sponsored teen driving seminar with SCCA and use Denise's '06 Mustang GT with 5 speed.  They thought I was going to try to kill her.  I informed them it was safer than their Saturn as the Mustang has ABS and traction control and will shut down if things get too crazy.  And, I would be in the pass seat also.

And no idiots on their cell phones on the track  :) (closed course or wherever this event was held)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
It's obviously more than a motorcycle-only thing because auto manufacturers face the same dilemma with driving age kids not at all interested in driving.  A good friend who teaches at OSU said a lot of her students hope to secure employment in a city with good public transportation, extensive bicycle lanes, etc.  It's one of the criteria they use for job hunting. 

Offline naustin

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2018 Multistrada 1200 Enduro
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »
Why should they drive when mommy and daddy tote them around everywhere until they are 30 years old. 😂😂