Author Topic: Dual Sport at STAR 2015  (Read 17830 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Dual Sport at STAR 2015
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
While I checked the box that said I'm interested in Dual Sport at STAR 2015 it's really more like Adventure ds riding that I'm interested in. Will any of the routes be ones that an old guy on a big ass heavy Adventure bike could ride?

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Dual Sport at STAR 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »
I find the idea of really gnarly off-road riding to not suit my taste. I with Brick...even on my F650GS, a bike much lighter than a Tenere, I'd be more interested in "adventure" riding.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
While I checked the box that said I'm interested in Dual Sport at STAR 2015 it's really more like Adventure ds riding that I'm interested in. Will any of the routes be ones that an old guy on a big ass heavy Adventure bike could ride?

Brick,

The Trans America Trail http://www.transamtrail.com/the-trans-am-trail/ runs from Tellico, TN west to Oregon and passes ~40 miles south of Springdale; so you might consider trying the TAT adventure on your way to STAR 2015.

Galen
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
Galen,
I thought when you guys did the TAT you did it on smaller lighter bikes than a Tenere. I suppose I could look at a portion of the TAT that might be close to STAR. Hmmm... perhaps you could take a few of us much less experienced D/S...Adventure riders on a section of the TAT out there?
Basically I started this thread to see if the STAR organizers had any Adventure routes planned.

Brick,

The Trans America Trail http://www.transamtrail.com/the-trans-am-trail/ runs from Tellico, TN west to Oregon and passes ~40 miles south of Springdale; so you might consider trying the TAT adventure on your way to STAR 2015.

Galen
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »
Brick,

Yes we rode smaller bikes-biggest 650, but many TAT eastern sections of TN, MS and AR are gravel and paved roads, and big bike friendly.  You have to be very, very careful though on water crossings-because many have that green algae slime that can put you on the ground!  And there is a sand section in eastern AR, I recommend riding around.  But otherwise, it would be big fun!

And yes I knew you were soliciting adventure ride info from the STAR hosts.  I am confident that there are gravel roads close to Springdale.  We especially enjoyed riding through the Arkansas forest southeast of Springdale.

Galen

Galen,
I thought when you guys did the TAT you did it on smaller lighter bikes than a Tenere. I suppose I could look at a portion of the TAT that might be close to STAR. Hmmm... perhaps you could take a few of us much less experienced D/S...Adventure riders on a section of the TAT out there?
Basically I started this thread to see if the STAR organizers had any Adventure routes planned.

Brick,

Galen
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:50:23 AM by PYG RYDR »
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:08 AM »
Galen... Sounds good!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »
Brick,  if dry the eastern part of the tat is rideable on a big bike. As galen mentioned you would need to be careful on the water crossings and I do think you would want more aggressive tires than stock ones but I don't think it would be a major obstacle as long as its not raining
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
Brick,

Yes we rode smaller bikes-biggest 650, but many TAT eastern sections of TN, MS and AR are gravel and paved roads, and big bike friendly.  You have to be very, very careful though on water crossings-because many have that green algae slime that can put you on the ground!  And there is a sand section in eastern AR, I recommend riding around.  But otherwise, it would be big fun!

And yes I knew you were soliciting adventure ride info from the STAR hosts.  I am confident that there are gravel roads close to Springdale.  We especially enjoyed riding through the Arkansas forest southeast of Springdale.

Galen

Galen,

Brick,

Galen

Brick,

For now I plan to ride the TAT on my TYGR PYG-maybe not the total distance-to STAR.  And maybe 2-up!

Let me know if you want to join me.

Galen
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »

Galen[/font][/quote][/quote]
[/quote]

Brick,

For now I plan to ride the TAT on my TYGR PYG-maybe not the total distance-to STAR.  And maybe 2-up!

Let me know if you want to join me.

Galen
[/quote]

Galen,
Whoa...  I had not even considered this as a possibility! Count me as wanting to know more! Number of days... Tires you are going to run on your Tiger... Etc!!
This could be very cool!

Hmmm... two up?!?!

Thanks
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »
   "Galen,
   Whoa...  I had not even considered this as a possibility! Count me as wanting to know more! Number of days... Tires you are going         to run on your Tiger... Etc!!
   This could be very cool!
   Hmmm... two up?!?!
   Thanks"

Brick,

Flo has to decide her plans as to whether she is joining me.  We have ridden 2-up some already.

Either way, I plan to leave early and ride the TAT.  I will keep you in mind.

Tires-probably a Mitas E-07 Rear and a Mefo Scout front.

Galen
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:57:24 PM by PYG RYDR »
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
I've seen that the TAT maps/roll charts/tracks/etc are designed to ride east-to-west. Due to Randy Logan's schedule, he and I have talked about riding the TAT west to east on the way home from STAR. Has anyone done that? Is it really awkward trying to decipher the path of travel opposite the way it is laid out?

In either case, I might try to hook up with other east-to-west riders on the trip out. That would probably give me a leg up on being able to follow it backwards.

My ride for this would be my BMW F650GS (thumper) with some fairly aggressive tires. I have a new set of Heidenau K60 Scouts in the garage that are begging to be put on the bike.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
I've seen that the TAT maps/roll charts/tracks/etc are designed to ride east-to-west. Due to Randy Logan's schedule, he and I have talked about riding the TAT west to east on the way home from STAR. Has anyone done that? Is it really awkward trying to decipher the path of travel opposite the way it is laid out?

In either case, I might try to hook up with other east-to-west riders on the trip out. That would probably give me a leg up on being able to follow it backwards.

My ride for this would be my BMW F650GS (thumper) with some fairly aggressive tires. I have a new set of Heidenau K60 Scouts in the garage that are begging to be put on the bike.

Geoffrey,

Originally, Sam's TAT roll charts and maps navigated E-W, but with GPS navigating, you can easily route W-E.

Your BMW F650GS will do great!

So far, I think I am the only one committed to riding to STAR.  Flo's employment may change and alter her plans.

Galen
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »
Galen,
I know we haven't ridden together, and you should be just as gun shy as am I about it. But should you feel comfortable starting out and maybe riding to Arkansas in close proximity to each other, perhaps we should take that under advisement. I wouldn't mind riding both ways on the TAT. I'm up for camping along the way, but I understand that if Flo decides to come along, that might not be the case for you.

Let's talk soon.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 06:26:02 AM »
If I go I will not be camping either.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »
Galen,
I know we haven't ridden together, and you should be just as gun shy as am I about it. But should you feel comfortable starting out and maybe riding to Arkansas in close proximity to each other, perhaps we should take that under advisement. I wouldn't mind riding both ways on the TAT. I'm up for camping along the way, but I understand that if Flo decides to come along, that might not be the case for you.

Let's talk soon.

Geoffrey,

Sounds good! 

Galen
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450