Author Topic: Forum Activity  (Read 36487 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Forum Activity
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
I am active on several forums. Some forums are bike specific so the membership is usually limited to those that own that particular motorcycle. However, it is not unusual to see over 100 new posts at the end of the day on most all of these forums. The same is true for the photography forum I frequent.
Our forum on the other hand seems to get very little traffic/posts compared to other sites.
I don't understand why.
We have nearly 1500 members and many guests on this site but very few posts.
For me this site is easy to navigate and make posts (as easy as any of the other forums).
It is a shame that it is not used by all of our members as it is such a great source to communicate with our membership.
Anyone have any ideas as to why? Better yet, how can we get others involved? -JEP-
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:33:13 PM by RIDEMYST »

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: Forum Activity
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
I've had the same observations and concerns, but I don't have any answers either.  Perhaps the age of of our average member and the number of state/local forums that operate separately, are contributing factors?  I would guess that only about 1/3 of our members are actually members of this forum, and of those 1/3, I would guess that less than 150 ever even post.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
I know probably 15 members why won't try it again because it has gone away so many times. They are burned.
Obviously I don't agree and have not been able to convince them to try again.
As a side note... I don't think many of the on-line members actually do download and read it. Just my $.02.

I am out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »
I will be honest. I just registered and got back on here after about a year. Why was I gone for so long??? I got tired of registering and getting a forum going and then after about 4 months we would switch platforms or it would crash and lose everything. I just got tired of messing with it and figured I would wait till it seemed like we were settled on a forum and going to keep it alive and in one place.
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »
I agree with what Patmo, Brick and Landon each mentioned to some extent but I think a bigger factor is that we don't have a lot of controversial topics to get us riled up about. Forums about a specific model invariably have certain hot topics intrinsic to that model that generate a lot of posts. Most of us in MSTA enjoy the vast variety of bike types among our members but it doesn't tend to generate a lot of heated discussions here. After all, we all know the Concours 14 is the slam dunk best Sport Tourer ever made. So what's to argue about?  8)

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
After all, we all know the Concours 14 is the slam dunk best Sport Tourer ever made. So what's to argue about?  8)

Hey, I have both my 09 Versys and 06 KLX up for sale. Thing is the Concours 14 is one of the bikes I am considering as the replacement. The 2015 can be had in Kawa Green ;D
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
The model specific forums seem to generate more posts.  I come here to see what's going on in MSTA; I go to the ST or XR1200 forums for information on my Honda or Harley.

It's not the volume of traffic, but the quality of information that's important.  Also, I think that we may have a more mature user group that doesn't waste time baiting each other or going on about non-motorcycling topics.
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:23:14 AM »
After all, we all know the Concours 14 is the slam dunk best Sport Tourer ever made. So what's to argue about?  8)

Hey, I have both my 09 Versys and 06 KLX up for sale. Thing is the Concours 14 is one of the bikes I am considering as the replacement. The 2015 can be had in Kawa Green ;D

Where is the KLX listed, Landon?

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 02:20:15 AM »

Well that may get some activity going. Not from me of course (since I sort of agree, but which is the fastest color? Candy Neptune Blue ya say?.. Well then there's no argument here to see ..just move along folks.), but someone may rise to the bait.

Our forum on the other hand seems to get very little traffic/posts compared to other sites.
I don't understand why.
We have nearly 1500 members and many guests on this site but very few posts.
For me this site is easy to navigate and make posts (as easy as any of the other forums).
It is a shame that it is not used by all of our members as it is such a great source to communicate with our membership.
Anyone have any ideas as to why? Better yet, how can we get others involved? -JEP-

Yeah the bike specific forums have a leg up on us here because of common accessory install problems, and common maintenance problems can generate a lot of posts and share a lot of valuable information. Still there are areas that just pertain to sport touring and there aren't really that many different models of sport touring bikes are there? There could be a bike specific section here with some sub sections for the more popular models, No? Yes?

I could try and generate discussion by just posting questions in the General Discussion section,
"Do you have trouble sleeping the night before a trip?";
"If you could have any other Sport Touring bike (besides the one you currently have, you have to select another one) which would it be?";
"What's in your First Aid kit?...You do bring a First Aid kit on a trip...don't you?";
"What does your pillion rider do that irritates you the most?";
"What bugs you most about group rides?";
"I really, really, (I mean REALLY) hate washing my bike, got any tips to make it easier or faster?"
"What's the best oil?"....OK just kidding on this last one.....but you get the idea. I'd be generating discussion (well OK, that's not a given, but I might.), however I wouldn't be posting any real content, and besides, I'd look like a douche. (well a bigger douche)

Perhaps it's a good question to be widely asked at the National in Springdale?
Either Officially from the podium, or just out in the parking lot as the occasion presents itself.

It's a tough question, but an important one IMO. 

MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 06:33:40 AM »
Why don't the officers participate?

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Forum Activity
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »

I did a quick check on the forum members list and here is what I saw from our Executive Committee (EC) members:

Dennis        52
Ann               6
Geoffrey    101
Dianne          4
Choon         34 (past EC member)

Not great on some accounts but certainly not an absence by our EC members. -JEP-
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:56:19 PM by RIDEMYST »

VersysRider

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »
My guess is the same reason you didn't participate much when you were prez....lack of time. Just sayin...

VersysRider

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
As a side note... I don't think many of the on-line members actually do download and read it. Just my $.02.
I guessing you are referring to STAReview. The most recent issue has been downloaded 872 times. Whether or not it's read is another story...

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 10:07:12 AM »
Jay that is NOT true I was many times one of the most active on our forum. I do admit I was retired so that helped.

My guess is the same reason you didn't participate much when you were prez....lack of time. Just sayin...

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
Ok I stand corrected ... more that 1/2 the members downloaded it.

I guessing you are referring to STAReview. The most recent issue has been downloaded 872 times. Whether or not it's read is another story...

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650