Author Topic: Do you wear ear plugs? Why or why not?  (Read 11348 times)

Offline OSU55

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 800K+
  • Primary Motorcycle: KTM 1290 Super Duke, Suzuki Bandit 1250
Re: Do you wear ear plugs? Why or why not?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »
I ride Hondas, with a good full face helmet, so no need for ear plugs.  But, if using some noisy equipment, then use them, such as last month with electric hammer chisel on cement, while in Puerto Rico on Methodist Church Mission trip, rebuilding houses, then yes. The ear plugs also kept the dust out.  LOL

Have you measured the sound level inside your helmet at your usual ride speeds? Do that and look up OSHA noise/time allotments (at least something good from OSHA). Once its gone, its gone, can't get it back.

Offline vince

• MSTA Member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 12:09:09 AM »
Looks like an old topic, but I just started looking at the forum.
Looks like everyone uses them. I don't. I have them with me but mostly forget to put them in.
I only started to even use them the last few years.
I have been riding for over 50 years. They didn't even have them in the beginning.
I raced for more than 25 years and never used them.
Do I have hearing loss. Yes about 50%. They tell me it is hard to hear women voices. Ok by me.
As you get older you lose some of your hearing anyway. So I don't know if I really lost much anyway. Most of my friends that don't ride have hearing aids and I don't. I think I can still hear better than they can.
When I ride now. If I am going to be on the bike for more than say half an hour I will put them in.
What I would really like to see is better helmets. That is where most of the wind noise is coming from.
I just hate putting them in and taking them out. I know it is a bad excuse.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 04:11:00 AM »
I don't think there is a clear relationship between not wearing them and soon needing hearing aids since everyone is different but there isn't a downside to wearing ear plugs so why not?

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 07:52:48 AM »
I do theatrical backstage work. Like many of us, I have a degree of hearing loss, and I'm not happy about it. If I can't hear or understand instructions in my work, I'm doomed to have to redo things or ask again for instructions (or both). If I'm running a spotlight, I HAVE to be able to hear the directions through a headset from the lighting director. If I can't understand the instructions, I'll likely be replaced. That's lost income on top of being embarrassed.

I've come to consider earplugs to be just one more part of my riding gear. I don't ride 20 minutes without a helmet. I feel the same about the plugs.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Doug Just Doug

• MSTA Member
  • Press On Regardless
  • Lifetime Mileage: 250,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
I never did while growing up on dirt bikes, or when I began riding on the street when I was old enough, but ever since the first time I tried ear plugs in 1990 I haven't taken a single ride without them.  I don't think I could stand it if I tried to go without.