Author Topic: New Guy in Ft Worth TX  (Read 13148 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: New Guy in Ft Worth TX
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
A great spread of states, thanks for the welcome. I am sure that you all have some great roads to see.
Marty, I have Kerrville on my calendar but won't be able to make the call till closer to go time.
Ohio is on my to do list, I have a buddy that has been telling me about the riding up there. Awesome.
Packing is always an issue. I have basically gotten all of the camping gear down to using the panniers and the topbox for clothes and electronics. I would like to get it down to no top box. A work in progress.
Always wanted to do some Kentucky riding, camping, hunting.
Strait up 35, and less than 1000 miles. Thats getting in iron butt territory. Minnesota looks closer than I thought.
Yes Ohio does have some great riding, particularly in the SE corner of the state (anything inside the triangle of I77-I70-OhioRiver). We just had our annual regional rally Mail Pouch Fly By in Marietta with great riding in that area as well as WV. When I first started riding I was not sure there were fun places to ride, as my experience in Ohio was limited to mostly to the northern section, and main highways.

Welcome aboard.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Traxx

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 03:46:59 AM »
Did a bone head thing and forgot my password and found it again yesterday.
So to update, I traded the Tiger off for a 2017 Triumph Trophy SE late Jan 2019. So now I have a actual sport touring bike. So far I am loving it. Lots of weather protection and much smoother than the Tiger. Better fuel range and more comfy. I have less luggage and think that is better.
A few modifications so far. Added some leds to the inside of the front faring, that lights up the general area infront of the bike. Also a Triumph GPS mount with power, and my Tom Tom rider 550 on that.
Put about 450 miles on her so far. Very nice.
This year I will be participating in the Tour of Honor and a few IBA rides. Looking in to hitting up multiple states this riding season. I will be looking at those West of the mighty Missississississippi. Hopefully I will also get in some rides with ya'll as well.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 09:03:56 AM »
Welcome back. It matters not what you ride but that is a bike I have admired. I think the A in MSTA stands for accessories so your on the right path. ;)   Attend some of our events and you will have somewhere to ride.  See ya there, TM in Ohio, haven't ridden at all.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
So to update, I traded the Tiger off for a 2017 Triumph Trophy SE late Jan 2019. So now I have a actual sport touring bike. So far I am loving it. Lots of weather protection and much smoother than the Tiger. Better fuel range and more comfy. I have less luggage and think that is better.
A few modifications so far. Added some leds to the inside of the front faring, that lights up the general area infront of the bike. Also a Triumph GPS mount with power, and my Tom Tom rider 550 on that.
This year I will be participating in the Tour of Honor and a few IBA rides. Looking in to hitting up multiple states this riding season. I will be looking at those West of the mighty Missississississippi. Hopefully I will also get in some rides with ya'll as well.

The SE is a fine sport-touring bike. But my brother-in-law observed one day that sport touring is more a frame of mind than a style of bike. When you look around the parking lot at one of our events, I have to think there's some truth to that.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »

The SE is a fine sport-touring bike. But my brother-in-law observed one day that sport touring is more a frame of mind than a style of bike. When you look around the parking lot at one of our events, I have to think there's some truth to that.

Agree!  It’s not what you ride, it’s how you ride.
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 12:49:19 PM »
Yep you can sport tour on anything, in my early years it was a CBR600 with nothing but soft luggage and little in the way of tools or emergency supplies. These days it is on one of my 2 800-1000cc purpose built sport touring machines with full hard bags and supplies to handle many situations. GPS, and other things as well that never seemed necessary 20 years ago.
Steve Grabowski

Traxx

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
Haven’t been gone because of the bike but because I forgot my password and the password recovery email never showed.
I agree that you can tour on anything, however I am past the age of “embrace the suck” I want to tour in comfort and with my stuff.

Offline Hueyf4i

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 49,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2004 Honda ST1300A
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
Yep you can sport tour on anything, in my early years it was a CBR600 with nothing but soft luggage and little in the way of tools or emergency supplies. These days it is on one of my 2 800-1000cc purpose built sport touring machines with full hard bags and supplies to handle many situations. GPS, and other things as well that never seemed necessary 20 years ago.
Agreed, this was was my setup before I finally bought my ST1300A

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Your CBR had a bit more touring accessories than mine, never had a GPS or hard luggage on it. I will say hard luggage is awesome, once I had some I was hooked and wanted it on every bike. Then I lent my brother a top case for his VFR on a trip (we swapped the mount direct from my same era VFR) and he was hooked and now has a full set of bags for his touring BMW.

We're not as fully farkled as your average MSTA bike, but we're doing GPS now.
Steve Grabowski

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
I agree that you can tour on anything, however I am past the age of “embrace the suck” I want to tour in comfort and with my stuff.

Hmmm... “embrace the suck”?  I’m not sure if this. Perhaps I’m too old?
I do have many comforts on my Tenere and on the FJ-09. Am I embracing the suck???

Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »

I do have many comforts on my Tenere and on the FJ-09. Am I embracing the suck???

Brick

I think that "embrace the suck" was referring to touring on a pure sport bike, something most of us have moved past.

Appears to be military slang, means "To consciously accept or appreciate something that is extremely unpleasant but unavoidable." 
Steve Grabowski

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »

Brick

I think that "embrace the suck" was referring to touring on a pure sport bike, something most of us have moved past.

Appears to be military slang, means "To consciously accept or appreciate something that is extremely unpleasant but unavoidable."

Hmmm... OK the military explanation sounds right for the saying. However, while back in the day, I did my “Maximum with Minimum” Sport Touring on bikes like CB-900F’s I absolutely loved it. But then those were not outright sport bikes. So I never had to embrace the suck.

Back in the HSTA days, “Maximum Minimum” was a Club saying.

Brick

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
still my steed of choice....and I'm almost 63 now.  Smaller and lighter bikes fit me better.  But to each their own.  It's all good!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:05:19 PM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
still my steed of choice....and I'm almost 63 now.  Smaller and lighter bikes fit me better.  But to each their own.  It's all good!

Can I have an amen on "smaller and lighter"? My F650GS is under 400# dry weight but is still capable of going just about anywhere I should consider going via paved or unpaved roads.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 05:24:50 PM »
This was my ride for my longest trip to a STAR
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT