Author Topic: Did a thing today....  (Read 10759 times)

Offline TrophyRider

• Forum Member II
  • Lifetime Mileage: 150000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2013 Honda CB50X
Did a thing today....
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »

2013 Honda CB500X
Anyone have/had one of these? Any comments or advice?
Jon W Campbell Jr.
2013 Honda CB500X

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: Did a thing today....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
👍. Nice!
not all that wander are lost

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
Only heard good things.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
Seems like we had an association member that mounted some more off-road-oriented tires and rode the hound out of one of these. Maybe he put the more knobby tires on the standard CB500...I don't remember. If you do a search on this forum, I'll bet you will find something.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »
Not sure which model it was but recall two of our Northeast Ohio members having Honda CB500s, Larry Ward and Nate Davis, pretty sure at least one is on the forum. Believe they had these bikes at Fall Color 2 (maybe 3 years ago, I know Nate has a new bike and Larry was riding and older BMW recently).

A search in PDF versions of the past couple Blue Books may be another way to find them. Yep, confirmed both those guys had the bike, Nate Davis is shown as a 2013 model. Only 2 matches I found.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
A different thing....

Just curious what folks do for riding during the winter. Here in Tennessee we're almost exactly centered between Lake City, Florida and Cleveland, OH as examples of south and north. I know riders in the north have a tough time getting out for a ride while the folks in the south probably LOVE this time of year. In TN we have days that are a good excuse to have a, gulp, car, and other days that almost demand getting the scooter out. Today I had lunch 25 miles away with my sisters, and with temps near 40 and sunny skies, I HAD to ride. The low temps tomorrow and Monday nights are predicted to be in the single digits with possible snow on Tuesday...I'll likely be leaving the bikes alone in the garage.

I've managed to squeeze in about 800 miles so far this month and will rack up a few more tomorrow before the cold front arrives.
How about you?
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »
The 1st week of January was good for riding in southern Ohio/Northern Kentucky.  But we’ve had several rounds of snow and cold since then.  I put one bike in the basement and did overdue and needed maintenance.  I’ve spent the last 3 days working on a local indoor motorcycle show.  One Saturday with the MSTA breakfast.  Next month is looking like it’s gojng to start out cold and snowy, but hope that by mid-Feb the weather might give us a break.
not all that wander are lost

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:05:04 PM »
We've had only a few really cold days down here in the deep south but also lots of rain. I have a tad over 1000 miles for January. Track day tomorrow will be in the 50s.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Condor

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 162,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
What's this talk of riding in the winter? My bikes have been garaged since October and we have 6 inches of snow on the ground and getting 7 to 14 tomorrow. Temperature is nice though, it's +3 now and only going down to -10 tonight. I'm going to need different tires if I try to ride now. :helpme:

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:35:30 PM »
Ron,

You live in "southern" Wisconsin don't you?

;)
Geoffrey Greene

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
What's this talk of riding in the winter? My bikes have been garaged since October and we have 6 inches of snow on the ground and getting 7 to 14 tomorrow. Temperature is nice though, it's +3 now and only going down to -10 tonight. I'm going to need different tires if I try to ride now. :helpme:
Ron, I feel your pain. I live in southern Michigan and bikes are also garaged for months now. Only about 5 inches on the ground but prediction is for 3-7 by end of day, then -40F with wind chill on Wednesday. Brrrrrrrr.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 02:36:51 PM »
Well... I'm not sure about the thread diversion from talking about TrophyRider's new bike...(NICE!, by the way.) ...but since Geoffrey is a respected member and he diverted it.....then hopefully I can chime in unscathed?

Just curious what folks do for riding during the winter.

Some of us in Texas get together every January for the BBFO (Big Bend Freeze Out) ride. This was only my 5th year, but it's been going on now for over 25+ years.  It is not affiliated with any organization or bike model but just friends and acquaintances from different groups and/or no groups at all. The weather was beautiful this year. Along the river road (TX HWY FM170) the Big Bend Bluebonnets were starting to bloom. We only had 7 attendees this year, 2 Hondas, 3 Kawasakis, one Yamaha, and a BMW.

MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »
I don't know..."Did a thing today" was pretty specific as to the original topic, but it also seemed a little open ended. If I stepped on anyone's toes, I apologize.

FartyMarty...Looks like you had a good ride there in BB.

Today I had a gig at a local theatre to set up for a Christian rock band. At a balmy 28 degrees when leaving, I decided to ride the 'wing with its HOUSE of a fairing. This afternoon, it had warmed up to around 50, so I went out for a 50ish mile ride on the 1980 Suzuki GS450e. Tonight, when I go back for the concert load out, I'll ride the '86 VFR700. It'll be getting chilly by the time I get home, but I'll be headed home...and that makes a big difference to my mindset.
Those were the last of fleet that needed to be ridden a second time during the month of January.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »
Geoffrey,
Don't think there's any harm in your topic in this thread, not like you derailed an lengthy discussion.

As for riding in the winter, nope not here. Too much salt on the roads, and the best nearby riding involves roads on the edge of a large valley and extremely dangerous conditions with debris and pot holes. Bikes get prepped for winter, and once they salt roads I'm waiting until spring.

The lack of daylight and full week of work limit chances even if the roads weren't a mess.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline JimRRides

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: FJR 1300
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »

2013 Honda CB500X
Anyone have/had one of these? Any comments or advice?
Re: CB500X

I don't own one but had a ni e 250 mile ride on someone else's.

I really liked it's balance of size and all-around abilities. I've not heard of any significant problems from that owner. It benefits from some of the same types of add-ons and upgrades as the baby V-Strom, such as luggage-wind protection-gps-power outlets and so on, but stick works just fine.
I really wanted some aux lights when it got dark.

It does run out of breath in the top end but in normal riding it has great all around torque and power.

It has the feel of a ride which will take you miles and miles with no fuss.

I'd call it a great middle weight tour-adventure pick.

Congrats

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yamaha FJR 1300, R1, R6, Zuma 125
Iowa State Director
Life Member
"Let's Move!"