Main Forums > The Garage

BMW Motorrad USA Issues "Stop Sale" on the R1200GS

<< < (2/3) > >>

STLTHMSTA:
Ok, thanks. But I know HOW a tele lever works but can you answer the fork tube/seal plug question? Maybe 'll just go to an online parts fiche and investigate. Inquiring minds want to know.  TM

stevegrab:

--- Quote from: STLTHMSTA on July 21, 2017, 09:03:36 PM ---Ok, thanks. But I know HOW a tele lever works but can you answer the fork tube/seal plug question? Maybe 'll just go to an online parts fiche and investigate. Inquiring minds want to know.  TM

--- End quote ---
Guess I misunderstood your question, it did seem to be "are these GS telelever bike or conventional forks" which seemed odd since I thought it was common knowledge the GS was telever. I know your level of mechanical aptitude is far above mine, so no offense was intended, just a simple explanaion of telever in case one was not familiar.

STLTHMSTA:
None taken nor did I think any was given. Some models in recent years have gone to "normal" forks, I didn't know if the GS was one of them. The original description of the problem wasn't clear to me and the parts fiche didn't clear it up either. No mention of seal plug anywhere that I saw. But being that I'm a deaf, dumb and blind kid I might have missed it.  I happen to like the tele lever set up myself.
I'll just stick to my Hondas and such.   :P   TM

normkern:
The advantages of the BMW telelever fork are experienced during compression. In comparison to a conventional telescopic fork: 1. Wheelbase remains relatively constant- telescopic forks decrease wheelbase. 2. Trail increases at nearly the same rate that it decreases with telescopic forks. 3. Castor angle increases at nearly the same rate that it decreases with telescopic forks.

All three of these characteristics improve handling under deceleration and braking. In order to achieve the needed geometry, the end of the fork tube needs to articulate in the top triple clamp. This is done with a rubber bushing in the top triple tree that permits some angular movement. The problem is that the piece in the end of the tube that goes in the rubber bushing is not pressed tight enough into the fork tube. My guess is that only forks that get hard use and bottoming from riding on unpaved roads, dirt and rocks are actually at risk, but the way these recalls go they have to fix every one regardless.

Here is a youtube video posted by someone who experienced the failure: [youtube]_mXkdr4ZBAs[/youtube]

This is a video of the fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaGaR9Fn4WE#t=125.095853

Norm Kern

RichGrab:

--- Quote from: STLTHMSTA on July 25, 2017, 10:10:19 AM --- But being that I'm a deaf, dumb and blind kid  :P   TM

--- End quote ---
Well, does that mean you "sure play a mean pinball."   :trink39: ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version