Main Forums > General Discussion

looking for another bike

(1/4) > >>

billvanevera:
my 2000 interstate valkyrie (232,000 + miles) is getting a little heavy for a 70yr old man - sooooo - looking for all day comfort, bullet proof engine, sport touring worthy and less than 700lbs for my next used bike purchase.  have a 650 wee strom that i like, but is just a tad light and only half day comfort (500 miles) and just a little short on power and speed on the superslab.  am looking at fjr1300 - st1300 - super tenure - triumph triple explorer - vstrom 1000 and concours14.  any ideas, comments, opinions or advice from this group would be held in high regard. tia.

DireWolf:
Welcome old friend! Glad to see ya back. FJR and Concours 14 (which I have for two up touring) are great comfy tourers but both pretty close to 700 lbs and they have a higher center of gravity than the Valk. I'd suggest you check out a Yamaha FZ09 or a Ninja 1000. My current solo ride a Ducati Multistrada 950 would be perfect but they have only been out for a year.

STLTHMSTA:
Ooorrrrrrr, you could buy my '98 Valkyrie Tourer (only slightly lighter) with only 27,000 miles on it and you could try to wear it out. Currently on eBay. Apparently you couldn't kill the one you have as it's still going. Gotta love that motor!!  Suggestions above are good ones but will take some getting used to by comparison.  TM

I bought a '14 CB1100 Deluxe. New ones are on some dealers floor but I couldn't find one. I found 1 (one!) used one many miles away. Base models can be had for less if you're interested.

Patmo:
Other than its 725 lb curb weight, why not the Honda CTX1300?  Or look around the country and see if you can find a leftover or very low mileage ST1300?

The local Indian dealer in NKY has a traded in FJR that is extremely low miles and looks like new for less than 7K.  The former owner traded it and another bike in on a slingshot because his wife wouldn’t ride on the back. 

Ride4MS:
The ST1300 is top heavy.  We have a '02 ST1100 and a '86 Gold Wing Interstate 1200.  The ST1100 is much more top heavy and harder to move around in the garage than the Wing.  But the ST1100 is more fun to ride in the twisties.

I would suggest to try to maneuver whatever bike you are interested in, around in the shop before buying.  And, maybe take a test ride.

We tested a Vanderhall in Las Vegas last month at the AIMExpo.  It is a 3 wheel, FWD, GM 1.4L turbo, 180 HP, at 1300 lbs.  It was fast and fun.  The dealer in Minnesota rents them out, and we are going to rent one next summer and possibly buy one for ourselves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version