Author Topic: Yamaha releases a photo MT-09 Tenere'  (Read 14461 times)

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
Re: Yamaha releases a photo MT-09 Tenere'
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
Saw this on a facebook post...This looks to be a serious off road oriented adventurer...287 pounds dry.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/ccm-gp450-adventure-us-distribution-confirmed/

While I understand the reason for an aluminium trelis frame / engine as stressed member design to reduce weight IMO that approach makes these bikes less than "serious" off-road machines. I know this approach is all the rage these days and is expected as state-of-the-art but many years of banging around in the boonies has convinced me that to be practical there needs to be a sturdy frame, not just a piece of sheet metal under the engine.

For me the ideal dual sport bike would weigh around 300 lbs, produce around 50 hp and have a 6 or 7 speed wide ratio gearbox. It should carry enough fuel for 200 miles and should have a seat that doesn't climb up your a$$ after two hours. It should be mechanically durable and survive slow speed drops and slides without expensive damage. Add Japanese durability and low maintenance cost and it would be perfect for me. It would NOT have to be capable of winning the Dakar or super cross. Most riders I know (and especially me) will NEVER come anywhere close to using all the capability of their machines and while I applaud the KTMs (and Yamahas) of the world for pushing the envelope I have no need functionally or emotionally to own the leading edge of competition technology. I just want a reasonably lightweight, fun and durable machine that gets me from here to there with the least amount of drama. But, it would appear, I am not the target audience these days. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:18:31 AM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Yamaha releases a photo MT-09 Tenere'
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

While I understand the reason for an aluminium trelis frame / engine as stressed member design to reduce weight IMO that approach makes these bikes less than "serious" off-road machines. I know this approach is all the rage these days and is expected as state-of-the-art but many years of banging around in the boonies has convinced me that to be practical there needs to be a sturdy frame, not just a piece of sheet metal under the engine.

For me the ideal dual sport bike would weigh around 300 lbs, produce around 50 hp and have a 6 or 7 speed wide ratio gearbox. It should carry enough fuel for 200 miles and should have a seat that doesn't climb up your a$$ after two hours. It should be mechanically durable and survive slow speed drops and slides without expensive damage. Add Japanese durability and low maintenance cost and it would be perfect for me. It would NOT have to be capable of winning the Dakar or super cross. Most riders I know (and especially me) will NEVER come anywhere close to using all the capability of their machines and while I applaud the KTMs (and Yamahas) of the world for pushing the envelope I have no need functionally or emotionally to own the leading edge of competition technology. I just want a reasonably lightweight, fun and durable machine that gets me from here to there with the least amount of drama. But, it would appear, I am not the target audience these days.

I think it all comes down to your personal definition of "performance". You define it as something reliable, light, good range, and fun. I'd include outstanding fuel economy. I don't need a high rpm hit of horsepower or tire shredding torque.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.