Author Topic: Sena 20 communicator/bluetooth  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Iguana Joe

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860K plus
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW R1200RT
Sena 20 communicator/bluetooth
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
OK I have had to bite the bullet regarding Bluetooth and bike to bike communications and it seems most folks are going with the Sena system. I have ordered a Sena 20S which seems to have the bells and whistles I require and as I said to be a widely used system.

I will be (hopefully) using this on my way out to CO in a few weeks and I anticipate a steep learning curve. Trying to learn a new communicator and new GPS software "on the fly" as they say. Does anyone have some feedback regarding this unit, does it pair well with a Nav5 GPS. How about integrating iPod, satellite and FM recievers?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Iggy Joe
Iggy Joe
AMA lifer
MSTA 5409 (lifer) NC State Director, EC State Director Liaison
IBA, PGR, former COG, etc.

Never try to teach a pig to whistle, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Sena 20 communicator/bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
I suggest you go to www.rkaluggage.com and watch Richard's uTube videos on the SENA 20S!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:02:30 AM »
Sena - There is not much of a learning curve that I experienced, but I keep the manual in my luggage just in case.  I have a Sena SMH10r (corrected) and it works great. I can listen to music, tap it to switch to comm mode, tap and go back to music or turn it off and enjoy quiet time.

It really takes the stress out of confusing situations to be able to talk to a fellow rider and find out what's going on. 

I do not listen to the GPS.  I just keep my eye on it.

I do have trouble connecting to Larry's intercomm.  It's a Sena 10S or 20S.  I connect to Woovis or BD just fine.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:52:05 PM by doug mcpeek »
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Sena - There is not much of a learning curve that I experienced, but I keep the manual in my luggage just in case.  I have a Sena  earlier model 10s and it works great. I can listen to music, tap it to switch to comm mode, tap and go back to music or turn it off and enjoy quiet time.

It really takes the stress out of confusing situations to be able to talk to a fellow rider and find out what's going on. 

I do not listen to the GPS.  I just keep my eye on it.

The 10S came out after the 20S, and I have the 10S as well.  It works well most of the time.  most of the problems show up in the bluetooth pairing process and the order in which you do it.  For starters, i would limit how many devices you pair.  Start with just the other rider, then later you can add the GPS.   If you are pairing to the NAV5, i wouldnt pair with the phone also.  Pair the Nav5 to the phone only.  The more things you pair with, the more trouble you'll have!

Offline sirepair

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 93 Honda ST1100/15 Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
Make sure to download and install the latest firmware on the Sena, and get the app for your smart phone, if you have one.  The Android app is nice to have as it includes the manuals and such.

I have the 2 unit set and they link to each other easily, and to my Samsung G6.  Also links to my GPS (cheap, Chinavasion "Rage") but I don't usually connect the phone and GPS at the same time.

When riding in a group, I have not had good success connecting more than 4 units, but they were a mixture of makes and models, so I was not surprised.

Connectivity is not perfect, but it is improving...

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
I have a 20s for sale. It was purchased as a spare for a UK trip last year. Has the latest firmware, and the cradle, speakers and helmet hardware are unused. Email me at nkern@kernvideo.com if you are interested.

Norm Kern

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »
I have a 20S and it works fine for me.  I pair it to my Navigator V for GPS and tunes.  I pair my Galaxy cell to the Nav V so that I get better control of the phone than on the Sena itself, but the phone works fine through the Sena as well.  With the tunes and GPS in the Nav V, battery life on the Sena is much better (all day and into the next although I usually charge it every night).  A lot of guys use the BT comms on this forum but I prefer GMRS.  I pair my Motorola directly to the 20S. Yes it is push to talk but it has more range, clearer signal and super easy to set up.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with my 10S.  Most of the bells and whistles as the 20S, but much cheaper.  Biggest problem is that often when the GPS voice comes in, I lose the communications, and have to power off and back up to restore comms.  The other problem I've had is that I bought the GoPro adapter for it, but have yet to get conversation audio to the GoPro.