Author Topic: Dual sport at MPFB?  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
Dual sport at MPFB?
« on: July 05, 2016, 08:02:43 PM »
Has anyone done dual sport riding at the Mail Pouch Fly By and/or are planning to do any this year? I know that there are great roads in the area and hope to attend this year and wondered if I should bring my DR350 for dual sport. Thanks.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Dual sport at MPFB?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »
I don't know about "routes", but it's not hard to find gravel roads. Heck, part of the time they just find you. Someone local would need to put something together, but I'll bet it could happen.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Buckeye56

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »

Hi Fred,

I did some dual sport riding a couple of years ago. Doug McPeek grew up around Beverly and knows some gravel roads there. The ones we did were easy to do on a Tenere. That same event we rode with Barry Mullen (I think) who lives in Marietta, he was ridding a 400 dual sport. We rode a bunch of gravel roads north of town, again they we not too challenging. I will add that this is based on my almost non-existent off-road abilities. I have Cc'd Bryan Dunlap and Doug McPeek who can mock me if my memory is flawed, again! ;)

If I have it right, Barry's email addy is: barrymullen@gmail.com

Another person you might want to contact is Clarks Morian: cmorian@cinci.rr.com

He has ridden a lot of the trails in the Ohio Power properties.

HTH!
Bill

P.S. I hope Donna's back is better![/size]

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:14:32 PM »
Yep, and I think Ron Vess is another local expert who could suggest good dual-sporting.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »
Thanks, for the replies, guys.

Bill, was Barry Mullen at the first MPFB that you and I rode way back when it was a midweek event, around 1997 or 98? I know there was a member there that lived in Marietta.

How about Jim Randall? Are you out there, Jim? If anybody is doing any dual sporting at MPFB, Jim would be involved.

Donna is progressing about as expected, Bill, thanks for asking. I am not doing any riding until she is able to get around well enough to take care of herself. We would have a heck of a time if I went down and got injured right now. We hope that by the time MPFB gets here, she will be fine, as our son David and I want to attend. We had planned on riding the Super Tenere's, but we had so much fun on my 2 DR350's when he was home last month, that I thought that we might enjoy taking them instead.

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
One of the last times I attend MPFB Ray Pope loaned me an "extra" DS he had brought with him. So I took my limited dirt experience and rode DS on Saturday. Had a ball but these guys are way better than me. They did have mercy and took it easy on this old guy. Rode several gravel roads and saw some great sights. So yes, there is dual sporting at MPFB.   TM
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:16:08 PM by STLTHMSTA »

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »
Its not a dual sport road but having a DS bike may help with the suspension required for rough pavement (last time I was there), but this is a place to see for those looking for cool sites and interesting views. Click on the Google maps short link below and look at the pictures

Kiedaisch Point Park - just a small park with 2 picnic tables, no bathrooms.
https://goo.gl/maps/86GEx2saY7E2
http://wikimapia.org/7458871/Kiedaisch-Point-Park
Stop at Subway at the gas station along OH7 near OH536 (which leads up to the road to park) and get a sandwich and enjoy lunch at the point. (Spelling of Kiedaisch varies a lot but anything close should find it.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:22:43 PM by stevegrab »
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 01:15:05 PM »

How about Jim Randall? Are you out there, Jim? If anybody is doing any dual sporting at MPFB, Jim would be involved.

Not gonna be there this time.  You folks have fun!

Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »
Stop at Subway at the gas station along OH7 near OH536 (which leads up to the road to park) and get a sandwich and enjoy lunch at the point.

Ah, a follower of The Way of the Tosh.
==BD

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
Stop at Subway at the gas station along OH7 near OH536 (which leads up to the road to park) and get a sandwich and enjoy lunch at the point.

Ah, a follower of The Way of the Tosh.
The way of the Tosh, lunch on the cheap? (I like subway for a quick good sandwich, and I may even be carrying my own beverage and chips.) We did this with a group from NE Ohio on one fun summer ride. We even had a lady with us and she wasn't whining about their not being some sort of bathroom up there.

Its a cool vantage point, rode in the area for years before somebody showed it to me, since then I share it with others. Some of the back roads that connect this place to OH7 (was County Hwy 42 - Long Ridge Rd I think) can be pretty beaten up, so it may qualify as dual sport riding ;)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
The way of the Tosh, lunch on the cheap?
Tosh is renowned for his affinity for Subway. If he stops somewhere else for lunch, corporate headquarters registers a stock drop and rings his cell to find out if all is well.
==BD

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:11:52 AM »
Recently, while John Boyd was in the hospital I had a tiny tracker implanted under his skin so I can now tell when he stops at something other than a Subway.  :-)