Author Topic: Changing Fork & Motor Oil with a Fluid Extractor  (Read 9093 times)

rideandfly

Changing Fork & Motor Oil with a Fluid Extractor
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
Have a fluid extractor I used a couple days ago to replace fork oil on my CB500X without removing the forks. One of my bikes has drains at the bottom of the forks, but the other bikes do not.  Used a HT Moto fluid extractor that's used extracting motor oil out of inboard boat engines through the dip stick tube. Have some other bikes that need fork oil replaced, so this should make easy work out of those bikes without fork drains. When inserting the extraction tube, took a couple tries to get the tube to drop down completely in the fork tube to about 29" depth.

This is probably an old idea (new to me), going to give it a try on motorcycles with skid/bash plates while replacing motor oil, too. Normally drop down or remove skid plates while changing oil to reduce the oil mess. For spin on filters normally place a paper towel to under the filter to catch oil during filter removal and will not need to remove crash/bash plates just for the filters.

Tried the extractor suction tube on the CB500X, DL650 Vstrom, and CRF230L through the oil fill, and it goes to the bottom of all of the crankcases passing by the clutch easily since it's made small enough to also fit in a dipstick tube.

Always warm up engines before changing engine oil anyway, but motor oil will not flow well through the small extraction tube unless oil is warm. Normally set bikes on paddock stands on concrete that is not perfectly level during maintenance, so will set the bikes on the stands with the crankcase leaning to the side where the extraction tube drops down in the crankcase.  For the bikes with magnetic plugs, will remove the plugs and clean every other oil change with the oil already drained. The extraction pump worked fine on cold fork oil, too.

http://www.htmoto.us/store/p/244-Oil-/-Fluid-Extractor-6-Liter.aspx

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:45:41 AM by rideandfly »

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
Re: Changing Fork & Motor Oil with a Fluid Extractor
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
This is OK for just an oil change.
However for proper fork service you need to remove, disassemble and clean all the parts in the forks to get the small grey particles (from forks operating) out of the forks.

Have a fluid extractor I used a couple days ago to replace fork oil on my CB500X without removing the forks. One of my bikes has drains at the bottom of the forks, but the other bikes do not.  Used a HT Moto fluid extractor that's used extracting motor oil out of inboard boat engines through the dip stick tube. Have some other bikes that need fork oil replaced, so this should make easy work out of those bikes without fork drains. When inserting the extraction tube, took a couple tries to get the tube to drop down completely in the fork tube to about 29" depth.
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

rideandfly

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Doug, Thanks!

Changed fork oil when I replaced springs, have about 2000 miles on the bike. Should have know it was too easy!  :)

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:38:59 AM »
I have use a mityvac to adjust (reduce) the oil level in forks but I don't think it's possible to remove all the oil that way.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
You can also use a turkey baster to reduce fork oil level.  With the MityVac you can put a adjustable stop on the hose so the oil level can be reduced to exactly what you want. 

+1 to what Doug said about having to clean the grunge out of the forks. That stuff can really bugger-up the works in a cartridge fork but not so bad with normal damping rods.  Even with damper rod forks, I still clean it out because it helps reduce wear and increase life on the seals. 

rideandfly

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »
I have use a mityvac to adjust (reduce) the oil level in forks but I don't think it's possible to remove all the oil that way.

Agree
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:25:12 AM by rideandfly »

rideandfly

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 08:45:06 AM »

That stuff can really bugger-up the works in a cartridge fork but not so bad with normal damping rods.  Even with damper rod forks, I still clean it out because it helps reduce wear and increase life on the seals.

Good point, when I replaced fork oil on the 2015 CB500X purchased November 2015, it had less than 2000 miles and the old oil was very dirty!

Still plan to use the extractor for motor oil on the bikes with skid plates. Always looking for ways to reduce maintenance time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:47:50 AM by rideandfly »

rideandfly

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
How often does everyone change fork oil?

After seeing how dirty the CB500X fork oil was after about 2000 miles during fork spring change on a 2015 model, seems like fork oil should be changed much sooner, at least the first time. My operators manual does not include fork oil replacement in the regular maintenance chart (don't have a FSM yet), reading on line recommending 10,000 to 20,000 mile intervals and one to two years for various bikes.

Looks like changing fork oil more often would reduce suspended particles, sludge build up, and overall component wear. Would probably change fork oil and clean springs/spacers more often using a oil extractor, since it's easy. Can still disassemble complete fork assemblies & clean components at recommended intervals. Overall this practice would reduce component wear and parts replacement.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:43:01 PM by rideandfly »

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »
How often does everyone change fork oil?

After seeing the how dirty the CB500X fork oil was after about 2000 miles during fork spring change on a 2015 model, seems like fork oil should be changed much sooner, at least the first time. My operators manual does not include fork oil replacement in the regular maintenance chart (don't have a FSM yet), reading on line recommending 10,000 to 20,000 mile intervals and one to two years for various bikes.

Looks like changing fork oil more often would reduce suspended particles, sludge build up, and overall component wear. Would probably change fork oil more often with an extractor, since it's easy. Can still disassemble & clean components at recommended intervals. Overall this practice would reduce component wear and parts replacement.

NEVER!.....Gotta love the BMW telelever suspension!

rideandfly

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
That's a neat looking system. Had to google it, since I'm not a BMW owner, yet!

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/technology_detail/suspension/item_telelever.html&notrack=1
Actually, I think there is a recommended maintenance on the fork oil, but its just in there ONLY to lube the sliding action of the fork....so its really not too critical....AND, fork seals are not very critical either.  What it does for handling is amazing, especially in trail-braking.  It is very easy to maintain your line under braking, because the trail actually increases as you brake, instead of decrease like telescoping forks.  The negatives are increased unsprung weight, and a tendency for the bike body to pitch front to back over bumps.  I really like it in most situations. 

rideandfly

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 12:15:45 PM »
Rode a friend's R1200RT & R1200GS, both bikes handled twisties nicely. Fine motorcycles!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:31:14 PM by rideandfly »