Author Topic: First Ride After...  (Read 9635 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
First Ride After...
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
I was unsure where to put this post as while it's a ride report it's not the typical ride report.
Yesterday I finally got back on a bike since May 18th! Damn it felt great!!!
That's the date I had, what they call, a "cardiac event " while riding. I call it a heart attack! I tried to make it to the emergency room as I was close. Yes in hindsight I just showed have stopped and called 911. I didn't make it to the er I passed out and apparently crashed into a pole or post at the entry. I got two stents in my heart, two broken bones in my hand, a knee that they said I had torn everything. Then during my recovery my gallbladder tried to kill me... well that's what it felt like anyway. That took an extra 6 weeks because of the blood thinners I was on for the stents they put in.
I just did it all at once... hopefully I can have a period without these complications so I can ride a little bit.
The ride yesterday was on the FJ-09 that I had crashed on. The ins company did ok by me and a friend Lee, who also has an FJ-09 put my FJ-09 back together. I'm very glad I have that bike as it's like almost 200lbs lighter than the Super Tenere making it much easier to push around and to ride. Plus the engine on the FJ is fantastic! The ride was short like 70 miles and I took it easy checking out both me and the bike.
Anyway now I'm planning my next ride and can't wait! I won't be doing any long rides for a while but just getting back on a bike is sooo wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: First Ride After...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
Good to hear you're riding again!  :-)

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
I was unsure where to put this post as while it's a ride report it's not the typical ride report...

Brick, when you post here, you can count on someone telling you where to put it!
Seriously, am gald to hear you're out and about and back on your bike. We certainly missed you at Big Lynn, even though Doug Pippen, Helga. Howard and all the others did a great job.

Welcome back!

Norm

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
I was unsure where to put this post as while it's a ride report it's not the typical ride report.

Anyway now I'm planning my next ride and can't wait! I won't be doing any long rides for a while but just getting back on a bike is sooo wonderful!

Welcome back Brick. Glad you were able to get out. For some reason, Gene Autry is playing in my head "I'm back in the saddle again." Take it slow and enjoy - we'll be on the lookout for the next update.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
 :trink39: :clap:
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
That's great news, Brick! -JEP-

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
Truly excellent. I look forward to seeing you sooner rather than later.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »
Glad you're out and about! Hope you can get a bunch more riding in.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline sirepair

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 93 Honda ST1100/15 Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
Can you hear that??  "Back in the saddle again" is playing!   Good to hear of your recovery, and of the repairs to you FJ! 

Hope to meet you some day!

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 07:39:04 AM »
Wow.... brings back some memories for me too.  Nothing like that first ride, no matter how long or short it is, after being off the bike for medical reasons.  At least for me it’s always been that one th8ng that reaffirms that recovery is going to happen.  Brick I’m really happy to hear this and concerning the news we all just got elsewhere, it’s really really great news.  Just what I needed to hear.
not all that wander are lost

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
Brick I'm right there buddy in spirit and in health. Try and eat sensibly, walk each day and it will continue to get better. It's hard fighting through health issues but with a little luck and modern medicine things will continue to get better. So glad you're on the bike again... makes everything better!
Wardie

Offline JeffT

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW R1200 RS
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
Yesterday I finally got back on a bike since May 18th! Damn it felt great!!!
That's the date I had, what they call, a "cardiac event " while riding. I call it a heart attack! I tried to make it to the emergency room as I was close. Yes in hindsight I just showed have stopped and called 911. I didn't make it to the er I passed out and apparently crashed into a pole or post at the entry. I got two stents in my heart, two broken bones in my hand, a knee that they said I had torn everything. Then during my recovery my gallbladder tried to kill me... well that's what it felt like anyway. That took an extra 6 weeks because of the blood thinners I was on for the stents they put in.
I just did it all at once... hopefully I can have a period without these complications so I can ride a little bit.
The ride yesterday was on the FJ-09 that I had crashed on. The ins company did ok by me and a friend Lee, who also has an FJ-09 put my FJ-09 back together. I'm very glad I have that bike as it's like almost 200lbs lighter than the Super Tenere making it much easier to push around and to ride. Plus the engine on the FJ is fantastic! The ride was short like 70 miles and I took it easy checking out both me and the bike.

Good for you, I know it's been a long road keep up the good work.  If you come over my way let me know, any excuse for a sick day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
That's wonderful news Brick!! I'm so happy for you, and I hope your ability to ride increases rapidly. I particularly want to wish you a long ago stretch of good health now! No more of this 💓 nonsense. Syd 😀
Touringman

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
Thank you all for the encouragement and best wishes.  I feel very lucky and very blessed to have you all in my life!

After reading this morning of the passing of Ann Reidner... I just can't get my mind around this all. Other than in the MSTA I really didn't know Ann but I knew of her deep love of all things motorcycle. I will miss her ever present smile and how she love riding!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
Hey Syd, did you finish off the "door prize" yet?
Steve