Author Topic: Wake now has Motorcycle specific navigation  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Wake now has Motorcycle specific navigation
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/waze-unveils-motorcycle-specific-navigation

This sounded interesting. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline GoVFR

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 15 Honda VFR Deluxe
Re: Wake now has Motorcycle specific navigation
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »
A good first start maybe, but not exactly a twisty road option?
 :clap:
And auto-correct strikes again.
GoVFR
MSTA #12407

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
Looks interesting. The ETA in mu Garmins have always been pessimistic but I have found at the end of the day they work out almost spot on since they do not do not factor in fuel and lunch stops.

I wonder if the Waze app realizes that MSTAers (well most, anyway) go faster on twisty backroads where there are no popo than on the major highways where radar  threats slow us down. A big flaw in Gar,im's "Fastest Rout" calculation.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
Oops yea auto correct... I’ll have to go to my computer to correct that. I can’t seem to find a way to correct the title of my thread in Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
Looks interesting. The ETA in mu Garmins have always been pessimistic but I have found at the end of the day they work out almost spot on since they do not do not factor in fuel and lunch stops.

I wonder if the Waze app realizes that MSTAers (well most, anyway) go faster on twisty backroads where there are no popo than on the major highways where radar  threats slow us down. A big flaw in Gar,im's "Fastest Rout" calculation.

I've never gotten a definitive answer on how arrival times are done (it's a proprietary calculation). I vaguely remember setting up a speed for each type of road in MapSource, BaseCamp, or maybe on the actual GPS unit that could be involved. It could be based on speed limits (believable as on back roads I'm able to make up more time than on big roads...and as noted, we tend to chill on big roads and play on little ones). I seem to recall that there is no accommodation for traffic lights, stop signs, etc. That seems like a good theory to me to explain why I can never meet time estimates on city streets.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »

Depends on the backroads and how wild of a rider you are. To me back roads = twisty and often with many small towns. That means lower than highway speeds, my GPS bears that out as does a friend and riding companion's bicycle computers used on his rides for years. Riding on back roads we rarely have a moving average above 40-45MPH.  On the slab that would easily be higher, depending on the speed limits maybe close to double (80 in a 70MPH zone). Sure back roads have less police, but there's also more challenges for the rider.
If however your back roads are mostly flat and straight (Florida, Kansas, etc.) then sure the speeds may be higher.
In the years I've used GPS I've tried to understand the estimated travel time, even in the car it doesn't seem to make sense or depend much on the speed I'm traveling.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
Slabbing it on a motorcycle, your "average speed" is really effected by gas stops because compared to most cars our bikes have a shorter range. 

Years ago, I recall coming home from Helen and using I-75 most of the way.  Although I kept my running speed at 65-70 mph, my gas stops every 200 miles - no more than 15-min each - whittled down my average speed to around 50 mph.