Author Topic: Tired of Looking in From the Outside  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Stretch

• MSTA Member
  • They ain't all dirt roads!
  • Lifetime Mileage: 200,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda V65Sabre 1984
Tired of Looking in From the Outside
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:34:38 AM »
Hello everyone. My name is Bill and I'm from Hooterville KY aka Nicholasville. I've been riding for ?..... a long time. I've been watching this group for years and finally decided to join up. I know how the group got its start and I only wish I had the money back then to get that first sabre/magna. I can remember walking through the local dealer in Fayetteville AR and seeing 2 V65 Cs side by side with two sabres right next to them. My thoughts were, how can I steal enough money to get one of those things? I ended up selling my camaro because of the insurance and getting a KZ440.

FF to 2002 and I got my first V4, a magna, for $150. From that point on I was hooked. I've had about a dozen of all sizes and flavors since then. Currently my main rides are a V65 Magna, V65 Sabre and a 1000F. The C has about 75K on it, the S has 62k and the F is the new one with 26k. All but a total of 60K is mine.

I joined another board back in 2004 and saw a need for a regional get together so in 2005 I started the V4Hondabbs Spring Get Together in NC and its been going strong ever since. Like MSTA, many riders have gone on to other brands and newer rides, the great part of motorcycles is the fellowship. I remember when the STAR came through Lexington and stopping by for a few minutes just to check it out. For several days I drove by on my way to and from work just in time to see people heading out and getting back and just wishing that I could take some of you on some of the great rides that are really pretty close to Lexington. Oh well....

I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of the local guys and getting to know you. I've been known to ride to lunch and back and end up logging about 500 miles in the process.

Hooterville, KY ( usually somewhere around Lexington)

Online RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Re: Tired of Looking in From the Outside
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »
Welcome from South Florida.
Those are some nice looking bikes you have there!
The Kentucky MSTA Group has become quite active and have regular lunch rides planed, you should join them.....Pat you can chime in here.
Hope to meet you at one of our events this year. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:29:11 AM »
WELCOME Bill!   It’s about time!   :trink39:

The Ky group will start getting together when the weather breaks for real.....hopefully sometime in March, more likely to be April.  I live up in the northern part of the Commonwealth, but certainly have spent a lot of time in the central, eastern, and southern regions.  I always try to move the lunch rides around to interesting mom and pop places around the state and am always looking for recommendations along that line.

In the meantime, you should be checking out the Event list and plan on attending any of them you can, especially the ROHP in July.  We are small in numbers here in KY, but we have some great people and enjoy getting together.  Many of the Cincinnati and southern Ohio/Indiana people have joined us in the past at lunch meets and for weekend events.

I look forward to meeting with you.  If you wish to be included in the email newsletter I do, or to get direct information on the other goings on, please PM me with your email.

Pat M
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
Welcome Bill. Nice stable of bikes there!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
Welcome Bill! Enjoyed your history and commentary. Hope to meet up sometime, maybe one of Pat's rides or the Rally of Historic Proportions in July.

Norm Kern

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
Welcome aboard,
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Stretch

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
WELCOME Bill!   It’s about time!   :trink39:
Yea I know Pat, I've been meaning to do it for a while.

The Ky group will start getting together when the weather breaks for real.....hopefully sometime in March, more likely to be April.  I live up in the northern part of the Commonwealth, but certainly have spent a lot of time in the central, eastern, and southern regions.  I always try to move the lunch rides around to interesting mom and pop places around the state and am always looking for recommendations along that line.
I've seen the breakfast/ride events in the past and I hope I can make a couple this year, just can't do Sunday Mornings.

In the meantime, you should be checking out the Event list and plan on attending any of them you can, especially the ROHP in July.  We are small in numbers here in KY, but we have some great people and enjoy getting together.  Many of the Cincinnati and southern Ohio/Indiana people have joined us in the past at lunch meets and for weekend events.
The ROHP sounds very interesting. Its a possibility.

I look forward to meeting with you.  If you wish to be included in the email newsletter I do, or to get direct information on the other goings on, please PM me with your email.
PM Sent

Pat M

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW 2019 R1250RT
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 05:08:18 PM »
Welcome Bill we're glad to have you
Hope to meet you at event this year

Dennis
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
Welcome, Bill! Hope to meet you at an event, maybe the Mail Pouch Fly-By in Marietta.
Nice set of bikes there!
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »
Welcome Bill.  Hope to see you on the road!  Come ride NWA again!

Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Stretch

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
Thanks to all for the welcome. I'm hoping to make an event/get together this year. The ROHP sounds very interesting and I always like to ride-to-eat.

I look back on my years in NWA and think how lucky I was to have spent that time there. The riding was great, the people were super and the unlimited amount of scenery made it a great place to live. Its been a long time since I've been back but I'm wanting to visit again.

My favorite day trip was Fayetteville, down the pig trail to the interstate, back to 71 then up to Fayetteville. I could make that trip on $5 worth of gas.

For a short time, I used to live just outside the bypass on 16. On Sundays I could wind that little KZ440 up and make the state line at Siloam Springs and back in 45 minutes. Just for fun of course. "Sport Touring" with a purpose.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:17:16 PM by Stretch »

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
Thanks to all for the welcome. I'm hoping to make an event/get together this year. The ROHP sounds very interesting and I always like to ride-to-eat.

I look back on my years in NWA and think how lucky I was to have spent that time there. The riding was great, the people were super and the unlimited amount of scenery made it a great place to live. Its been a long time since I've been back but I'm wanting to visit again.

My favorite day trip was Fayetteville, down the pig trail to the interstate, back to 71 then up to Fayetteville. I could make that trip on $5 worth of gas.

For a short time, I used to live just outside the bypass on 16. On Sundays I could wind that 440 up and make the state line at Siloam Springs and back in 45 minutes. Just for fun of course. "Sport Touring" with a purpose.
I've taken that route as well.  I'm new to NWA and thoroughly enjoying the area.  Bill and Gayla our state directors are awesome and have RTE and JFF events frequently.  We'll keep you posted in case you want to join us.  Nice bikes BTW!

Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Stretch

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »
NWA is very similar to EKY but the hills in KY have peaks not plateaus... at least they used to. Many are leveled off now.

Thank you for the invite. I do want to get back to the area again. I'm thinking about an IronButt to Dallas. I'd be returning home going back through Fayetteville and stopping for a couple days. If it happens I may look you up.