Author Topic: Lets do some riding in 2015  (Read 9451 times)

mike harper

Lets do some riding in 2015
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
  Hi folks, my is name Mike Harper and I live in north Alabama. I see a lot of Bama members in the Blue Book, but I never see anyone at MSTA rallies. OK I know riding season has slowed down for the winter but I would really like to meet and get to know my fellow Alabama members. Are state director is Andray Hubble, he and I ride together a lot to MSTA events during the spring and summer so please send him or me a e-mail and we can work out a way to meet up some time and ride and make plans to get together at MSTA evens.

Take care and ride safe.
                                                                  Mike Harper

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Lets do some riding in 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:35:17 AM »
Mike,

The new forum doesn't have a big following so your best bet might be to contact AL members individually via E-mail.   :D

Tosh

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »
Along the lines of Tosh's comment, build an email base of not just local members but include potential members and set a lunch or breakfast location a few weeks in advance. Everyone can ride in and swap lies. That's pretty much what our SD does here in Florida and it works well. -JEP

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:11:46 AM »
Hi Mike, glad to see you here.  DF is correct, there is not a lot of noise on this forum, although I do believe it's growing slowly.  E-mails and our club Facebook page are other ways of communicating with members.  As far as meeting other members in the state, and/or surrounding area.....

I've had pretty good luck with doing lunch ride-ins, here in Kentucky this year.  I modestly admit I've stolen the idea from other states like Ohio, Indiana, and Florida, but it seems to be working.  It's something anyone can do, and doesn't take a lot of time or effort (my kind of project!).  First, just pick a lunch spot, a date, and a time.  Then post up on the various boards the club has and send out a group email to all the state members with the info.  Finally, ride to the spot on the chosen date and see who shows up.  Even if nobody else shows up (which hasn't happened), YOU still get a good ride and lunch out of the deal, right? LOL

Seriously though, it's a good way for members to meet each other, and from that possibly comes the desire for some to travel to regional events, knowing they will not be alone or with people they don't know.

I've also posted the lunch meets up on other local riding forums and Facebook pages, inviting other riders to attend, and encouraged other members to do the same.  I think that this is a good way to "spread the word" about the club to people that don't know us, and possibly get some new members, along with being a way for me to meet other riders in the area. 
not all that wander are lost

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
Monthly breakfasts or lunches have several characteristics I see as useful in gaining new members & establishing friendships.

Most attendees must ride a significant distance to attend. Indeed, all will ride a significant distance most of he time if there are different locations over a wide area from month to month. This can be seen as a filtering process- those who show up are riders who like riding longer distances. That's a good start to attract the kind of people who are a good fit for the club.

A meal provides social time where people can get to know each other. It's an easier choice to join a group when you know some people well enough you want to go somewhere to be/ride with them.

The monthly schedule provides repetition. People don't form friendships from single meetings. It takes multiple times together for most people to become good enough friends with someone that they would be willing to formally join a group or attend a rally with them.

Norm Kern